Borat Sister

Reply Mon 16 Mar, 2020 05:53 pm
@Setanta,
It’s a tough job, but Bethie can handle it
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 16 Mar, 2020 05:56 pm
@farmerman,
Reminds me of the stories of these guaranteed bear proof huuuge metal trash bins. They look like ,etal septic tanks. We were at a big field trip and stopped to have our lunches at a state park nwar Wellsboro Pa. There in the park, apparently just before we arrove, som bar had dragged the damned receptacle and pushed it onto a road and as apparently waiting for a truck to grease the can. Bear didnt think that on out too well cause all the trucks did was avoid the trah can and one of em hit the bear.
chai2

Reply Mon 16 Mar, 2020 07:12 pm
@Borat Sister,
Borat Sister wrote:

What’s sxsw Chai?

South by Southwest (known informally as South By) is a 10 day annual event held in Austin. It includes film and music festivals, conferences, exhibitions, networking opportunities and much more.

It's a mix of business and entertainment covering tech, gaming, design, sports and again, much more.

Here's a cut and paste of the attendance and ticket prices...

280,000 attendees
There were 700 attendees in 1987, the first year of the conference. In 2019, there were more than to 280,000 attendees. The economic impact on the Austin economy from SXSW in 2019 was $355.9 million.

$825 to $1150
For sxsw 2019 the ticket prices range from $825 to $1150 (for early tickets) and will increase over time to $1325 to $1650 for walk up tickets. See sxsw for more info Attend the 2019 SXSW Conference & Festivals. Housing. There are all sorts of options for housing than can range from reasonable to very expensive.

Those ticket prices don't include housing, food, drinks, etc etc.
oralloy

Reply Mon 16 Mar, 2020 08:09 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:
Neighbors might not have appreciated that sort of nocturnal activity, as satisfying as it would have been.

I recommend a .22 magnum rimfire rifle plus a NFA-registered silencer.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 16 Mar, 2020 08:11 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
Apparently the real problem will be the number of available ventilators in hospital ICU's so our bodies can heal from the virus before we suffocate.

Yes. That's it exactly.

And let's hope that survivors develop immunity and can't be reinfected.
0 Replies

Borat Sister

Reply Mon 16 Mar, 2020 11:34 pm
@farmerman,
We are forcing them to evolve faster and faster....then they come for us...
0 Replies

Borat Sister

Reply Mon 16 Mar, 2020 11:35 pm
@chai2,
Aah. But good decision to cancel.
chai2

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2020 09:31 am
@Borat Sister,
I do agree. Those long events with people in all various states must be a petri dish. It was the right choice.

I worry about the small business owner that depends on the income of these 2-ish weeks to make up a huge portion of their annual income, and the people that work for them only during that time.

Dudes riding pedicabs schlepping people around, food trucks and their workers. other vendors that had been approved to sell (I wonder if they will get the fee they paid back?) restaurant servers, on and on.

The small business and the little guys/gals.
My neighborhood is within a mile of the music festival location in Zilker Park.
Some people let others park in their driveways, side and back yards etc. The turnover throughout the day is big.
A few years back, I was walking in my hood. A middle age couple down the road had a really big chunk of land next to their house. I think there was room for at least 10 chairs that could pull in and out without having to move other cars. They were sitting out there drinking ice tea and "minding the store" I stopped to chat, and they said their was a turnover in the day and evening time of about 3 times. I don't know, they were probably charging $30 a car? At least 800 or 900 a day for the days there were concerts. That could pay their electric and gas bill for the year.

I got texted earlier saying I didn't have a route to deliver for my mid day hour and a half gig. I'm lucky I'm ok, but others may really need that $33.
chai2

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2020 09:49 am
@chai2,
https://i.redd.it/j9ese6d7k4n41.jpg
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2020 01:17 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:
...I equate much of this to the same panic that befell so many over Y2K....

As a software engineer (actually just retired a few months ago), I feel I must object to this. In the year before Y2K, I was working for Florida Power. I was asked to find Y2K bugs. I found many and fixed them. Probably afterwards someone said, "I don't see what all the fuss was. Nothing happened."
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2020 02:16 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

Beyond the fact people have fallen ill, or will, and sadly a percentage have died, I equate much of this to the same panic that befell so many over Y2K. Excepting of course there is a level of true danger of infection.

Why didn’t you include what I said directly before and after what you quoted me as saying?

Obviously there were bugs to be fixed. Just as there’s a danger of getting this virus. No debate on that.

My post had to do with the beyond all reason panic some are/we’re experiencing. Just like Y2K.

Maybe because you were working with other like minded professionals at the time, you were exposed as much to the totally out there fears people had.

On the last working day of 1999, someone who worked in another location was near the verge of a nervous breakdown because “maybe the electricity won’t be on in the morning “. Then she asked me what I would do if that happened. I told her “probably read a book”.

She actually asked me then how I would do that without electricity.

I didn’t say anything about there not being bugs that had to be fixed. I talked about many people “jump on the bandwagon “ panic.
Sturgis

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2020 02:30 pm
The feud is back on between NYC mayor and the N.Y. State Governor.

The The mayor is pushing for a 'shelter in place ' ...although he hasn't specified how this would be done.
Thus Governor has bellowed that he is the only one who has authority to make this decision.

For those who are concerned about their tax file deadline of April 15, the Feds are going forward with a plan to extend the date by 90 days.
Borat Sister

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2020 05:19 pm
@Sturgis,
I saw something about that. Any explication of what it means?

Our PM is broadcasting now. I can’t stand to watch him, so I’ll get the gist of what he said via media.

Apparently the panic has hit locally....empty shelves, dramas towards staff over restrictions on how much can be bought in one shop. I need to go and do a bit of shopping but I’m dreading it!

Chai 2, yes I know....cancelling things is going to cast a long economic shadow. I’m not sure if your government is moving to ameliorate this?
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2020 05:49 pm
@chai2,
In the years since, I have heard many people talk about how Y2K was much ado about nothing, ignoring the fact that the IT industry worked for years to resolve it. The first such remark I remember hearing was years ago on "NYPD Blue." Andy Sipowicz (one of the characters) more or less called it a hoax and I have heard similar uninformed sentiments over the years.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2020 05:53 pm
@Sturgis,
Sturgis wrote:
For those who are concerned about their tax file deadline of April 15, the Feds are going forward with a plan to extend the date by 90 days.

ours is a lot earlier - and was just bumped to June
Borat Sister

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2020 06:13 pm
@ehBeth,
Wow. We seem a lot looser re tax
0 Replies

Borat Sister

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2020 06:16 pm
What’s everyone doing to have fun and stay sane?

I guess it’s my time to finally get clothes sorted and put away!

Get my art sorted and put up

Get kitchen sorted and not have so much cluttering it.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2020 06:37 pm
@Borat Sister,
https://www.facebook.com/watch/live/?v=189875259127709&ref=notif&notif_id=1584489791135344&notif_t=live_video singing along with Choir! Choir! Choir! in the Choirintine
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2020 06:52 pm
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:

In the years since, I have heard many people talk about how Y2K was much ado about nothing, ignoring the fact that the IT industry worked for years to resolve it. The first such remark I remember hearing was years ago on "NYPD Blue." Andy Sipowicz (one of the characters) more or less called it a hoax and I have heard similar uninformed sentiments over the years.

I'm sorry. I did not mean to indicate your hard work was nothing.

Used it as a perhaps a bad example of how many people over react.

Yesterday I was standing in line at a Sprouts (a small supermarket chain), and the woman behind me showed me some nasal spray she got from the supplements aisle, telling me "this will prevent you from getting the virus"

I said "Wow".
Setanta

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2020 08:06 pm
@Borat Sister,
Fortunately, I have several long novels. I'm not lovin' the one I'm reading right now, but it might get better. Then there's always Youtube . . .