Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2020 04:28 am
@chai2,
Such a great description. It's totally in my mind's eye lol
0 Replies

George

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2020 04:42 am
@roger,
roger wrote:
And, wasn't there something about the Hatch Shell?

https://www.thebostoncalendar.com/system/events/photos/000/279/569/original/free_concerts_esplanade.jpg.jpeg?1559128771
It may be a while before they have concerts there again.
shewolfnm

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2020 06:42 am
Oyy.. Plague Parlor. Love it !

I haven't read all, but got through the first few pages. Im glad to see most haven't had major issues around this mess. I will back track and read up though. So far here, the only infections and deaths have been 'friends of friends'. Im very grateful to be living out in bumfuck Egypt right now. 6 acres around us, no physically close neighbors except for our friend TJ and his wife/kiddo..and even they are 3 acres away. My mind is running down the 'mandatory food garden ' path again..which.. may be necessary after this stuff slows.

I wonder how this is all going to come out in the end. What I hope for is a utopian resolution which I know won't happen.... where working from home when possible becomes a norm, daily life slows down, and maybe ... just maybe, the rat race of massive work hours and overloaded metaphorical plates falls to the way side and we can find an easier balance between the work/home life for everyone.

I also hope our collective economies don't continue to fall like a brick from a plane. I think the best thing that should come out of this would be a revamp of healthcare for the states... but given the fact that America is run by President Agent Orange, that will never happen. ..

It is all a bit surreal though, gotta admit.
chai2

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2020 09:14 am
@shewolfnm,
I hope this is a wake up call to many business that this is not 1953 anymore and it's totally not necessary to physically be at a location to do your job.

No longer just the realm of managers to say "I'm going to work from home today"

I've been on the line with customer service at various times since all this began. Some of them city government stuff, maybe even state.
A few times, especially at first before shutdowns, I would ask the person if they were in their office or at home. Every time the answer would be something like "Oh no. I'm working at home."

Sure there would be ripple effects. Some negative, some very positive. I think the positives far outweigh.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2020 09:42 am
Reminders to all the yanks in the palour.

If you were expecting a tax refund, get your taxes out.

The extension only applies if you have to pay.
0 Replies

George

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2020 09:54 am
My job can't be done from home, but fortunately I only work three days a
week. There's something like ten companies in our industrial park and only
our building and a medical center have cars in the parking lot. A very
strange sensation -- every day feels like I've come in to work on a weekend.
Borat Sister

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2020 06:38 pm
@roger,
Venus on the Hatch Shell?
0 Replies

Borat Sister

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2020 06:39 pm
@Joeblow,
A Dagglepuss sighting is always a succotash mitzvah!
0 Replies

Borat Sister

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2020 06:40 pm
@George,
I have finally seen the hatch shell!
0 Replies

Borat Sister

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2020 06:42 pm
@shewolfnm,
Oh please please get rid of agent orange US!
0 Replies

Borat Sister

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2020 06:47 pm
@George,
I was so excited yesterday. I got to go for a drive

Only to the local hardware, garden etc supplies superstore but still....

Had to get treatment for my new timber pergola and fence and stuff related to that. Also a new pot for the lemon tree...the fire repair people busted the old pot and hid the evidence.

Nearly killed my back getting said pot into the car. I didn’t want to ask for help in the shop because I thought that might get the helper too close to me.

All staff careful but very good humoured. All customers keeping good distances.

0 Replies

chai2

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2020 08:07 pm
I strongly suspect Marc Maron and I were separated at birth.

My husband had been feeding this beat up old cat he named "Tom"

I felt sorry for him because I could tell other cats were bullying him. So, I continued to leave some dry food and water well away from the front door.

He'd developed a gruding acceptance of me, in that he's become 75% sure I'm not going to kill his when I come out to give him food and water.

A few weeks ago I thought I had a buyer for the house (that fell through because, you know). I had worried a little what would become of Tom.

Then suddenly, none of the other cats were messing with him, because some upstart adolescent spaz cat, who doesn't know any better, took up with Tom.

At first I tried to chase spazoid away, until I realized Tom was actually using him as a shield.

But no! I am NOT going to start a stray cat ranch! NO!

Spaz, stop running up to me. Why don't you run away when I stomp my feet? STFU already. I don't like you.

DON'T run up to my car when I pull in the driveway! Stay away.

Oh Christ. Don't....Don't flop on your back in the sunshine right in front of me and squirm around like that.

**** me.
Stop eating Toms food even though he patiently waits for you to get through, and even eats with you.
Tom and I have an arrangment.
Ok, I'll bring out a 2nd bowl. Damn.

Quoting Maron, "Goddammit, now there's something else I gotta love"

Stupid spaz cat.
Borat Sister

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2020 09:17 pm
@chai2,
Oh you’re now thoroughly spazzed

AND Tommed.

Surrender already
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2020 10:45 pm
@chai2,
You know darned well you've got a love beat for Spaz. Might as well get accustomed to it.
chai2

Reply Wed 15 Apr, 2020 09:26 am
@Sturgis,
Nope nope nope.

And I DID NOT smile when I went around the corner of the house this chilly a.m. and see him/her pulling out of a tight space and starting to gallop toward the house.

Did....Not.....Do....That.

0 Replies

chai2

Reply Wed 15 Apr, 2020 09:27 am
Question to all.

What are items you buy regularly/semi regularly online?
Mostly interested in light weight items under a pound.
Linkat

Reply Wed 15 Apr, 2020 12:07 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

Question to all.

What are items you buy regularly/semi regularly online?
Mostly interested in light weight items under a pound.

Off the top of my head - under a pound - not sure it is a regular purchase - sports headbands. My daughter has an earring in her cartilage - sports tape is not very good as coverage for this. You cannot wear earrings in basketball as opponents could get their hand caught up in it resulting in a nasty tear.

So the headband works best and stays in place - also they have gotten strict on that - it cannot be a headband with a tie - I guess some girl managed to poke her eye on another players headband on the tie part - and it has to be white or be the primary color of the team uniform AND all girls on the team if they wear a headband has to match the color (so you cannot have one teammate with white and the other with the primary color)

So yes headbands without the tie in white is especially important item.

The more regular stuff -
Besides that - hard to find items in the store - like a particular brand of hair product comes to mind.

Certain spice blends I can't get at too many places (I like Hippy Pilgrim) tumeric and ginger for instance - can find it sometimes in some local places.

0 Replies

Borat Sister

Reply Wed 15 Apr, 2020 03:07 pm
@chai2,
Maybe specialty teas? I have a kidney bladder blend that helps with my occasional bouts of bladder inflammation

Chocolate tea that I love...

Normally buy bigger items online

Now, about your new cats.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 15 Apr, 2020 03:38 pm
@George,
Thanks, George.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Wed 15 Apr, 2020 03:40 pm
Thanks linkat and boratsister

It was just an idea to ask, as I'm quickly running out of product, and the main source of my inventory is at this time not offering the price advantages I've become used to.

Not at all knocking the ideas. In fact one of them gave me a related idea I'll have to check out.

I avoid food items, as (a) they expire so you have to worry how fast it will sell, and (b) Food just isn't a niche I want to get involved in.
Headbands? To be honest, they are already so cheap I don't think I could find a source that would have enough of a discount. Plus, it's good to know something about the area I'm selling in. In this case, sports. For accessories, it has to be the "in" thing.

Ha! Reminds me of something. The UT (university of Texas for Deb) is a very specific burnt orange. The color is trademarked and you do NOT want to mess with that.

Anyway, one day I happened to be driving around the university on a game day, and it was a sea of orange. Thousands of people. Then I see this couple walking through the crowds in tee shirts that were NOT the right color. I mean they stuck out like a sore thumb.
I'm not any type of sports fan, but I felt really sorry for them. It was very embarrassing.
That was quite some time ago, and I still remember it.
0 Replies