Coronavirus

bobsal u1553115

Wed 10 Jun, 2020 07:03 am
@farmerman,
Thae whining has stopped. But here in Texas where the infection rates are climbing, there's fewer masks being worn. I'm not stopping, I think there's going to be a huge turn on the GOP when their attempts to keep "a lid on it" fails. I'm afraid its going to take grandma dying or junior on a respirator to get the attention this pandemic needs.

I understand there is a possibility that we might actually find ourselves with a need to go on with and live with Covid as the new normal. But coexistence is not the same as passive ignorance. Its not just going to go away and "herd resistance" is a long term sort of thing that usually requires a "thinning of the herd". That thinning takes fertile younger members as much as older "economically useless" older members, too.

If its a strategy required to survive as a specie or a social system, that is one thing. But if it appears as a calculated and hidden political strategy - that could be the start of social upheaval. The "have nots" may feel they have nothing to lose going down the spiral and feel compelled to take some of the safe herd with them.

This is nothing like anything I can remember. Its almost into science fiction or moral allegory. We could end up living in a morality play.
Walter Hinteler

Wed 10 Jun, 2020 07:34 am
@bobsal u1553115,
The EU speaks of a "massive wave of false or misleading information" in the Corona crisis, including from foreign actors.

As an example, the Brussels authority cites false recriminations regarding the outbreak of the Corona pandemic. The EU's External Action Service reports on its website alone more than 550 cases from Kremlin-friendly sources. False information about the corona virus is a threat to both health and social cohesion, the Commission warns. This includes the claim that drinking bleach can help against the virus.

EU-Commission: Tackling coronavirus disinformation
bobsal u1553115

Wed 10 Jun, 2020 08:37 am
@Walter Hinteler,
False, discredited information is a serious problem here on a2k, as you well know.

The only mitigation, such sad mitigation it is, is that Russia is having such a terrible time with Covid so as to have a limited benefit from their disinformation campaign.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Wed 10 Jun, 2020 09:15 am
Dr. Anthony Fauci says WHO's remark on asymptomatic coronavirus spread 'was not correct'
Source: CNBC

The World Health Organization’s remark that transmission of the coronavirus by people who never developed symptoms was rare, “was not correct,” White House health advisor Dr. Anthony Fauci said Wednesday.

The WHO “walked that back because there’s no evidence to indicate that’s the case,” Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, said during an interview that aired on ABC’s “Good Morning America.”

“In fact, the evidence we have given the percentage of people, which is about 25% [to] 45%, of the totality of infected people likely are without symptoms,” he said. “And we know from epidemiological studies that they can transmit to someone who is uninfected even when they are without symptoms.”

An asymptomatic person is someone infected with Covid-19 but never develops symptoms. It’s not the same as a pre-symptomatic patient, who later goes on to develop symptoms. Studies have shown that people who are infected can spread the virus in the pre-symptomatic stage as well, generally one to a few days before symptoms start.

Read more: https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/10/dr-anthony-fauci-says-whos-remark-on-asymptomatic-coronavirus-spread-was-not-correct.html

I tend to give Dr Fauci more credence than other sources, but I certainly hope he's wrong this time.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Wed 10 Jun, 2020 10:02 am
Texas reports a third straight day of record coronavirus hospitalizations

Source: CNBC

Texas health authorities said there are currently 2,153 patients sickened with Covid-19 across its hospitals, marking the third-straight day Wednesday of record-breaking coronavirus hospitalizations in the state.

The new total is up from 2,056 patients on Tuesday and 1,935 patients Monday, according to updated data from the Texas Department of State Health Services.

The steady rise in coronavirus hospitalizations in Texas will likely add to scrutiny from some U.S. lawmakers and infectious disease experts that some states opened businesses too early as the virus continues to spread throughout parts of the country.

Texas was among the first states to relax its statewide stay-at-home order, allowing it to expire April 30 and some businesses to resume operations May 1. On June 3, Gov. Greg Abbott issued an executive order to announce the third phase of the state’s plan to open additional businesses and activities.

Read more: https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/10/texas-reports-a-third-straight-day-of-record-coronavirus-hospitalizations.html
0 Replies

farmerman

Wed 10 Jun, 2020 06:58 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
without a vaccine, it will take several generations to evolve a core immunity to the virus . Apparently, its one that has only mutated a few times and NONE of the mutations involve th way that the virus inserts itself
bobsal u1553115

Wed 10 Jun, 2020 08:34 pm
@farmerman,
That's certainly what I understand. I'm still waiting for the vacine Trump promised to pull out of his ass as well as Covid tests, Covid antibody tests. PPE etc that were to be here in a month or two.

What has he done? Sent another two million doses of Chloroquine to Brazil and several hundred respirators that his jerk SiL law stole from states and hospitals here in the US to Russia.

Being calm and honest and reconstructing the pandemic group he tore up and shut done would have gone a long way.

If he's elected, I'm moving to Canada.
farmerman

Thu 11 Jun, 2020 06:50 am
@bobsal u1553115,
There about 10 different vaccines nd severql monoclonal antibody palliatives being tested in phse 2 nd 3 tests. Its the fastest (nd I hope safest) series of vaccines and meds Ive ever seen eveloped. New methodologis and ways of doing testing has certainly speeded up the R&D and production of possible cures. Ive seen that one of the big pharmas has announced that it has the capabilities of producing 2 billion doses per quarter.
maybe Fauci's optimistic projection may come to pass. In the mean time we will still be living within Trumps massive "Guess whose sick" and "Testing Causes Disease" gAMES
bobsal u1553115

Thu 11 Jun, 2020 10:30 am
@farmerman,
I have faith in everyone except the Executive government.
chai2

Thu 11 Jun, 2020 12:38 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
When anyone says they have faith in something, I wonder if they even know what they are saying.
Sturgis

Thu 11 Jun, 2020 02:13 pm
@chai2,
Faith is a personal matter. We each have our own take on it.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Fri 12 Jun, 2020 07:07 am

good info...

Quote:
Straight Answers from Top Epidemiologist Who Predicted the Pandemic

We’ve been told alternatively to not wear masks, to wear masks, to stay home, and to get out and reinvigorate the economy. Hydroxychloroquine and remdesivir both got our hopes up but now have largely fizzled. We’ve heard estimates that as many as two million Americans will die and now, with 100,000 deaths, we’ve heard we’re near the end of the crisis. Is a vaccination forthcoming? How likely we to get the disease? What exactly should we do with our aging parents who are at the most risk?

To get some clear answers, I called Michael Osterholm, PhD, MPH, an internationally known expert in infectious disease epidemiology who has advised both Democratic and Republican Presidents. I know Dr. Osterholm from the University of Minnesota (our academic partner for the first Blue Zones explorations) where he serves as the Director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy. He has also served as interim Director of the Centers for Disease Control (CDC).

In short, Dr. Osterholm is arguably one of the most dependable, non-political sources for straight answers on what COVID-19 means to us and our world in the immediate future. In his 2017 book, Deadliest Enemy, he correctly foretells a global pandemic and offers the best strategy for fighting it now and avoiding it in the future.

Here are the highlights of our conversation. But if you really want to understand this disease, read the whole interview. This disease may be the biggest event of our lifetimes.

• 3 months ago, COVID-19 was not even in the top 75 causes of death in this country. Much of the last month, it was the #1 cause of death in this country. This is more remarkable than the 1918 Flu pandemic.

• There is no scientific indication Covid-19 will disappear of its own accord.

• If you’re under age 55, obesity is the #1 risk factor. So, eating the right diet, getting physical activity, and managing stress are some of the most important things you can do to protect yourself from the disease.

• One of the best things we can do for our aging parents is to get them out into the fresh air, while maintaining physical (not social) distancing.

• Wearing a cloth mask does not protect you much if you’re in close contact with someone who is COVID-19 contagious. It may give you 10 minutes, instead of five, to avoid contracting the disease.

• We can expect COVID-19 to infect 60% – 70% of Americans. That’s around 200 million Americans.

• We can expect between 800,000 and 1.6 million Americans to die in the next 18 months if we don’t have a successful vaccine.

• There is no guarantee of an effective vaccination and even if we find one, it may only give short term protection.

• Speeding a vaccination into production carries its own risks.

• The darkest days are still ahead of us. We need moral leadership, the command leadership that doesn’t minimize what’s before us but allows everyone to see that we’re going to get through it.
(full interview)
bobsal u1553115

Fri 12 Jun, 2020 07:30 am
@Region Philbis,
In the meantime Don 'Nero' Trump fiddles and the MAGAts dance jigs over haircuts, manicures and summer. Its a slow-motion car wreck.
Region Philbis

Fri 12 Jun, 2020 07:37 am
@bobsal u1553115,

yup, 45 is slowly but surely killing off his voter base...
bobsal u1553115

Fri 12 Jun, 2020 08:07 am
@Region Philbis,
I wish we had a hidden live feed on the oval office for just a couple of days.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Sat 13 Jun, 2020 08:31 am
Days before Trump rally in Tulsa, city’s Whirlpool plant closes for COVID-19 outbreak

By Mike Stunson
June 12, 2020 10:36 AM , Updated June 12, 2020 11:52 AM

191 new Kentucky COVID-19 cases, 7 new deaths
Governor Andy Beshear confirmed 191 new coronavirus cases in Kentucky, plus 7 new deaths, June 10, 2020. By Governor Andy Beshear
Up Next
How airlines are making flying safe for passengers during Covid-19 health crisis
Current Time 0:03
/
Duration 2:31
Governor Andy Beshear confirmed 191 new coronavirus cases in Kentucky, plus 7 new deaths, June 10, 2020. By Governor Andy Beshear

A Whirlpool plant in Tulsa, Oklahoma, has temporarily closed due to a coronavirus outbreak one week before President Donald Trump will visit the city for a rally.

The factory employs more than 1,600 workers, though it’s not clear how many have been infected with COVID-19, according to KOTV.

Whirlpool plans to re-open early next week and has already completed contact tracing on the infected employees, the company said.

“Any individuals who come in close contact with diagnosed employees have been notified and have been quarantined,” Whirlpool stated. “The plant is regularly cleaned per CDC guidelines and will be cleaned again before re-opening.”

The factory had already been social distancing on its production lines and employees were required to wear masks and have their temperatures taken, according to Whirlpool.

There have been 1,372 confirmed coronavirus cases in Tulsa County, its health department reports, as of Thursday, June 11. The county reported just eight new COVID-19 cases Sunday, but the number jumped to 65 on Monday. There were 47 cases Tuesday and 64 on Wednesday, the health department reported.

Read more here: https://www.star-telegram.com/news/coronavirus/article243485396.html#storylink=cpy
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Sat 13 Jun, 2020 10:45 am
https://www.cdn-liker.com/uploads/large_images/5ee4fcfaccf2f.jpg
0 Replies

NSFW (view)
tsarstepan

Sat 20 Jun, 2020 01:10 pm
Quote:
Six members of President Trump’s campaign tested positive for the coronavirus during a routine screening before a rally in Tulsa, Okla.

Trump Rally: 6 Campaign Workers Test Positive for Virus
Region Philbis

Sat 20 Jun, 2020 01:34 pm
@tsarstepan,

how has he managed to avoid the 'rona so far?

dumb luck, i guess...