Reporting About Trump

gollum

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2020 04:25 pm
Is news relating to Trump reported differently in the areas of the U.S. where Trump is popular?

When Trump tells a lie, is that reported?

Do those newspapers buy from a Trump supporting news service (are there any)?

maxdancona

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2020 10:44 pm
@gollum,
You might not be able to see this, but liberal news outlets noticeably omit details or points of view or even whole stories that don't fit the ideology of their readers.

This is certainly true of NPR, I think the New York times is better (although not perfect).

I think it is a fact of life, every organization comes with bias (although some are better than others at being balanced). A smart news consumer looks for sources of news with multiple points of view.
gollum

Reply Sat 22 Feb, 2020 12:23 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona-

Thanks
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Sat 22 Feb, 2020 01:07 pm
@gollum,
Quote:
Is news relating to Trump reported differently in the areas of the U.S. where Trump is popular?

Local newscasters can edit stories or supply additional commentary.
Quote:
When Trump tells a lie, is that reported?

On pro-Trump media, his lies are reported as if true, i.e. without supplying corrections.
Quote:
Do those newspapers buy from a Trump supporting news service

Yes, in many cases.
Quote:
(are there any)?

Fox News. And many online sources such as Breitbart.
gollum

Reply Sat 22 Feb, 2020 01:28 pm
@hightor,
hightor-

Thanks
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Sat 22 Feb, 2020 01:35 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
This is certainly true of NPR...

While they skew liberal in terms of many of the topics they cover — such as women's issues, minorities, arts and entertainment — they make an effort to report all sides of hard news stories, often interviewing politicians and opinion writers who are conservative.
maxdancona

Reply Sat 22 Feb, 2020 02:54 pm
@hightor,
I am curious Hightor,

What respectable conservative leaning news sources do you listen to, and how have you found the news coverage to differ from NPR?
gollum

Reply Sat 22 Feb, 2020 03:52 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona-

Though you addressed your question to hightor, perhaps you might also be interested in the experience of other persons (e.g., myself).

I read the New York Post [in addition to the NY Times]. The Post is a conservative leaning news source. I think it is respectable. It is written so I read it, not listen to it.

The news coverage differs in the inclusion of a large number of articles on government corruption particularly at the municipal & State level as well as excessive compensation of government employees. The articles reflect a skepticism about the effectiveness & efficiency of government.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Sat 22 Feb, 2020 04:28 pm
@maxdancona,
I haven't found any respectable conservative leaning news sources to listen to, other than conservatives who provide commentary on NPR or are participating in a back-and-forth discussion with liberals. That doesn't mean there aren't any, but I haven't found them, nor do I go out of my way to look for them. As with gollum, I'm more likely to read than listen.

I check out aggregate sources of news and read articles from American Conservative, National Review, American Spectator, and others if they look interesting. It can be enjoyable to read essays that aren't overly concerned with the sensitivities of doctrinaire progressives. Basically, I enjoy pieces that are written by cultural critics who may or may not be conservative, pieces on language, history, and philosophy — not partisan politics.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 23 Feb, 2020 01:53 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

You might not be able to see this, but liberal news outlets noticeably omit details or points of view or even whole stories that don't fit the ideology of their readers.

No mention of Media bias in right wing organisations at all.

Nobody buys your bullshit about not wanting to lick Trump's arsehole, well maybe your best buddy Oralloy, but nobody with any sense.
maxdancona

Reply Sun 23 Feb, 2020 10:08 am
@izzythepush,
Hi Izzy.
0 Replies