Why did Cory Booker drop out of the 2020 presidential race?

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2020 05:11 am
Hi. I am just curious about this. I don't know too much about all the candidates who are running. A while back I watched Booker when he was on The View talking about his presidential campaign. I liked and agreed with his campaign platform. I was going to support him and vote for him. I just learned recently before the posting of this thread he dropped out of running. Why did he drop out?

I know Joe Biden and Bernie Sanders are still running. Between these two I guess I will go with Biden, despite the negative issues concerning him. Sanders I don't care for.

I am going to vote for whoever the Lord leads me to vote for.

Please help- thank you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 5,759 • Replies: 58

Rebelofnj

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2020 05:57 am
@JGoldman10,
https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/13/politics/cory-booker-ends-presidential-race/index.html
Quote:
Sen. Cory Booker announced Monday that he will end his campaign after failing to qualify for the Democratic debate planned for Tuesday in Iowa.

To qualify for the debate, the candidates need to polling at least 5% in 4 national polls and have 225,000 individual donations.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/elections/2020/01/11/2020-election-who-qualified-january-democratic-debate-iowa/4435582002/

So basically, Booker failed to gain enough support for his campaign, leading to him quitting the race.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2020 06:04 am
@JGoldman10,
First, there are still other choices than between Sanders and Biden. In fact, if you don't like Sanders, I recommend that you vote for a candidate other than Biden. He's a good man but it's getting more and more unlikely that he'll win enough primaries and he'll block the emergence of alternative candidates who might be able to win.

As to Booker, his campaign didn't have the funds to pursue the kind of aggressive marketing campaign that's (unfortunately) required to secure a major party's nomination these days. He had a positive message but wasn't able to distinguish himself from the twenty other candidates running. This is what happens when the voters are offered too many choices. Lots of other good candidates were forced to suspend their campaigns for similar reasons. Forced to choose between four or five candidates, people get to study the positions, the personalities, and political acumen of the candidates. Forced to choose between twenty, only the most well-funded and well-known candidates have much of a chance. Assuming one of the current front-runners gets the nod, it's possible that Booker might be included on the ticket; he'd make a good vice-president.
JGoldman10

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2020 08:42 am
@hightor,
The only thing I don't like about Sanders is he's against African Americans getting reparations for slavery.

I am not judging. This is the same man who marched with Dr. King on Washington.
Rebelofnj

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2020 09:17 am
@JGoldman10,
Quote:
Meanwhile, Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-VT) has argued that instead of reparations, his focus on policies helping distressed communities in general would particularly aid black communities. However, in April, Sanders said that he would sign a reparations bill if it came across his desk during his presidency and has since signed on to Booker’s reparations legislation.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2019/3/11/18246741/reparations-democrats-2020-inequality-warren-harris-castro
RABEL222

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2020 02:31 pm
So you are voting using the republican voting system of what will you give ME for my vote rather than the democratic system of what is best for ALL the country?
0 Replies

coldjoint

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2020 06:24 pm
@JGoldman10,
Quote:
Why did he drop out?

Because he sucked.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sat 15 Feb, 2020 09:32 am
@Rebelofnj,
Okay, but according to a recent episode of Frances and Friends on Sonlife TV, Sanders is in favor of funding Planned Parenthood.

I am so glad I sent that on that show.

That's NOT good.

As a Christian I can't support that.
jespah

Reply Sat 15 Feb, 2020 09:48 am
@JGoldman10,
You do realize that most of Planned Parenthood's funding and mission go to women's health, and not abortion?
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Reply Sat 15 Feb, 2020 10:20 am
@JGoldman10,
The Democratic Party is Pro-Choice. It is part of their platform:

Quote:
We believe unequivocally, like the majority of Americans, that every woman should have access to quality reproductive health care services, including safe and legal abortion.

We will continue to stand up to Republican efforts to defund Planned Parenthood health centers, which provide critical health services to millions of people.

https://democrats.org/where-we-stand/party-platform/ensure-the-health-and-safety-of-all-americans/

Many Democratic candidates have announced plans to allow legal abortion. It is not just Sanders.
https://www.vox.com/2019/6/22/18693279/abortion-rights-2020-democrats-hyde-amendment-roe

If you want Planned Parenthood to be defunded and abortion to be outlawed, you will have to vote for the Republican party, which means voting for Donald Trump in the 2020 election.
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Reply Sat 15 Feb, 2020 10:49 am
@JGoldman10,
You said you were going to vote for Booker, but he also was in favor of funding Planned Parenthood and is Pro-Choice.

Quote:
Sen. Cory Booker on Wednesday unveiled a plan to create a new White House office focused on ensuring women have access to abortion and to end federal restrictions on funding for the procedure...He also wants to make it easier for women to receive free contraception under their health insurance plan.

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/05/22/cory-booker-abortion-rights-2020-election-1465352
JGoldman10

Reply Sat 15 Feb, 2020 07:28 pm
@Rebelofnj,
I didn't know that about Booker. What about Biden?
Rebelofnj

Reply Sat 15 Feb, 2020 08:43 pm
@JGoldman10,
It was in the Vox link I provided.

Quote:
At the Planned Parenthood forum, he said that he had changed positions on Hyde because his health care plan would need to include coverage of abortion.

A practicing Catholic, Biden has said he is personally opposed to abortion. But, he said at a vice presidential debate in 2012, “I just refuse to impose that on others.”

It is safe to say that basically every major Democratic candidate in the race are pro-choice and will implement policies that allow abortion.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2020 03:56 am
@JGoldman10,
So you're not in favour of planned parenthood, but you're quite happy for people who can't afford health treatment to die from neglect. Similarly you don't seem at all upset by the NRA's campaign of school shootings.

Funny how the lives of actual people don't mean as much as a few cells.
coldjoint

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2020 03:35 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
Similarly you don't seem at all upset by the NRA's campaign of school shootings.

That could be because the NRA has nothing to do with school shootings. Why do you insist on lying about America when your country is a shithole?
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Wed 19 Feb, 2020 03:23 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

So you're not in favour of planned parenthood, but you're quite happy for people who can't afford health treatment to die from neglect. Similarly you don't seem at all upset by the NRA's campaign of school shootings.

Funny how the lives of actual people don't mean as much as a few cells.

What are you referring to specifically? We Americans have Obamacare. That's mandatory healthcare for people who don't and can't afford healthcare.

I don't think the NRA had anything to do with any school shootings in the U.S.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 19 Feb, 2020 03:38 am
@JGoldman10,
Your healthcare system is **** and getting shittier, people die from lack of cover all the time. The NRA marches in celebration every time a Sandy Hook occurs and lobbies hard to stop sane gun laws happening. The NRA is responsible.

It's immoral and evil, and you'd rather have that so long as you can tell women what to do with their bodies.
Rebelofnj

Reply Wed 19 Feb, 2020 05:06 am
@JGoldman10,
It is mandatory but it is not cheap at all. People still have to pay hundreds of dollars in medical bills. That did not go away with the Affordable Care Act (also known as Obamacare).

Even calling for an ambulance can result in thousands of dollars.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/ambulance-trips-can-leave-you-with-surprising--and-very-expensive--bills/2017/11/17/6be9280e-c313-11e7-84bc-5e285c7f4512_story.html

The NRA has proposed that teachers should carry firearms in school.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/politics/wp/2018/02/23/the-nras-solution-for-school-shootings-making-schools-battle-ready/
JGoldman10

Reply Wed 19 Feb, 2020 05:17 am
@izzythepush,
I already have Medicaid and Medicare, which is free. I signed up a for United Health Care Dual Complete Plan- that's additional free coverage.

I don't need Obamacare since I already had Medicaid and Medicare.

GOD looks at abortion as MURDER. That's EVIL.

If teenage girls and women don't want the babies they have it's better they give the kids up for adoption or put them in foster care. At least the babies will LIVE.
JGoldman10

Reply Wed 19 Feb, 2020 05:29 am
@Rebelofnj,
Was the NRA involved with the infamous Columbine shootings?
Was the NRA involved when that one Asian college student shot up Virginia Tech?