Am I Work Damaged

Reply Tue 11 Feb, 2020 01:45 pm
Say you work for a prestigous legal firm and you find out that some one has been:

1. Setting up fake profiles of you and pretending that you're racist and homophobic and the public have been reporting these fake profiles of you to your firm.

2. You also discover that whoever is setting up the fake Facebook and Twitter accounts, has also EMAILED everyone in your firm plus your bosses, saying that you're "racist and homophobic".

You then get the police involved and they discover that its your disgruntled next door neighbour on a vendetta against you.

Will all this stop you getting promotion in the future? Harm your reputation for ever? Get you fired?

RABEL222

Reply Tue 11 Feb, 2020 01:55 pm
Get a lawyer.
PrincessPea

Reply Tue 11 Feb, 2020 02:06 pm
@RABEL222,
What to protect my job? Or to sort out the malicious neighbour?
Region Philbis

Reply Tue 11 Feb, 2020 02:14 pm
@PrincessPea,

both.

if you have a Human Resources Dept., contact them as well...
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 11 Feb, 2020 05:46 pm
@PrincessPea,
If this were me, I would be pretty open about it in my job. I would probably joke about it with my co-workers. I would certainly talk to my bosses and my bosses bosses.

If I were an executive and got a letter about one of my employees, I might talk to that employee. I wouldn't believe the letter, I would suspect it was just a rather nasty neighbor.

Talk to your boss and be open about what happened. And, talk to a lawyer (you may have a case against your neighbor).
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 11 Feb, 2020 07:29 pm
@PrincessPea,
What are defamation laws like in your country?

If it's only been spread to your workplace and they understand the nature of it, then you're possibly fine. If it's spread to the wider world your firm will either go cold on you (rather than risk stain of association) OR sue your neighbour pro bono. Or the former happens and you sue your neighbour?

But you'd obviously know your legal situation better than I do.
0 Replies

loragrey

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2020 03:55 pm
@PrincessPea,
lawyer is your best option
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Sun 1 Mar, 2020 11:36 am
@PrincessPea,
As ridiculous as it sounds, I’d do nothing.
If your employer takes any action against you without contacting you first about this, that’s when you Better Call Saul.
0 Replies