My Overall Well Being is Suffering Because I Am A Klutz

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2005 07:23 am
I fell down the stairs this weekend. Again. This is about the 6th time I've fallen at home, with varying degrees of injury to various body parts. This isn't including the time I fell down a flight of stairs in college at the bookstore or the time I fell down the stairs at work. This time, I fell after missing a step carrying laundry down to the basement. I bruised my foot up pretty good. I thought it might be broken last night but this morning it feels better so I don't think so. The last time I scraped up my elbow and arm pretty badly. I run into tables and other things routinely. It is almost like I can't judge how much space is around me or something. I bang my knees and my legs all the time under my desk. I hit my elbows on the corners of walls and doors while walking through the house. I am sometimes one big bruise.

My question is this: Do you think that I have some sort of balance problem or something wrong with me? I mean, I hurt myself pretty regularly. Falling down the stairs this many times, I am bound to really hurt myself, maybe break my back or neck one of these times. Does anyone else have this problem? Or am I just a big klutz?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,184 • Replies: 44
No top replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2005 07:57 am
have you ever had an eye test? To check your depth perception?
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2005 07:57 am
Hmm, do you feel off balance?You may have an inner ear problem.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2005 07:58 am
shewolfnm wrote:
have you ever had an eye test? To check your depth perception?

No. I wear contacts and have for some time. I do have a problem with depth perception at night.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2005 07:58 am
material girl wrote:
Hmm, do you feel off balance?You may have an inner ear problem.

No, not usually.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2005 08:05 am
have you had any serious ear infections in the last 5 years?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2005 08:20 am
shewolfnm wrote:
have you had any serious ear infections in the last 5 years?

No. I've always been clumsy but just in the last 5-6 years have I really gotten bad.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2005 08:26 am
How long as this been going on?

Please go to the doctor and have some tests run....

You're right, you could seriously injure yourself.

I hate to say this, but sometimes people w/ MS have balance problems - - - -
I mean, it's probably not a serious as that, but you need to know

(hey - don't want to upset you - Really - just a thought to consider)
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2005 08:32 am
Have you had a severe weight change? I got really clumsy after losing some weight, but it cleared up after a couple of months.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2005 08:37 am
DrewDad wrote:
Have you had a severe weight change? I got really clumsy after losing some weight, but it cleared up after a couple of months.

Nope. Nothing has really changed in the last 5 years. Just seem to get more and more clumsy...
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2005 08:38 am
Chai Tea wrote:
How long as this been going on?

Please go to the doctor and have some tests run....

You're right, you could seriously injure yourself.

I hate to say this, but sometimes people w/ MS have balance problems - - - -
I mean, it's probably not a serious as that, but you need to know

(hey - don't want to upset you - Really - just a thought to consider)

Yikes! That would stink!
0 Replies

Synonymph

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2005 08:43 am
Medications (prescription or OTC) can affect equilibrium. Allergies can also. Either of those in the picture?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2005 08:48 am
Synonymph wrote:
Medications (prescription or OTC) can affect equilibrium. Allergies can also. Either of those in the picture?

I take birth control (for 10 years now), Singular and Allegra D.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2005 09:42 am
I'm in the See A Doctor camp. If something serious is wrong, the earlier the diagnosis the earlier the cure--or the more effective the holding action.

One of the Fringes of Mr. Noddy's family postponed getting her MS diagnosed for nearly seven years. She's a lot less mobile now than she could be thanks to the delay.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2005 11:49 am
I'm also in the See A Doctor camp. Even if you've been a lifelong klutz (my younger daughter is in the same club), it's best to rule out anything serious.

Do you tend to fall more when you've got a lot on your mind? It might be a distraction issue where you simply aren't paying attention to what you're doing and before you know it you're looking at the ceiling from a prone position.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2005 11:55 am
No, I wasn't thinking of anything but laundry yesterday when I fell. Hm. I just don't know.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2005 12:04 pm
Bella, do you get a very slight almost unnoticeable fogginess, a lapse in attention, when you do the bumping, tripping? Becoming fully alert when you feel the pain of falling or hitting into something?
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2005 12:08 pm
Bella, do you get a very slight almost unnoticeable fogginess, a lapse in attention, when you do the bumping, tripping? Becoming fully alert when you feel the pain of falling or hitting into something?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2005 12:09 pm
Heeven wrote:

Hm....I don't know...I do sometimes drift completely off other times. Almost like a black out, where I don't remember the last few minutes. It's weird. I go somewhere....
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2005 12:15 pm
I don't suppose you are also night blind? I have reduced peripheral vision from a eye disease, and have been life-long clumsy. I've fallen in all the best places... I'm a pretty deft faller.

I didn't know my peripheral vision was reduced until I was tested for it, when I was over forty.

Another possibility - my cousin blames her clumsiness, which she also considers lifelong, as being one of her symptoms of ADD.

Then again, you may be just, you know, clumsy....
0 Replies