What are Squirrel Girl's weaknesses?

JGoldman10

Reply Thu 9 Jan, 2020 04:32 pm
@Rebelofnj,
Yes I know. You told me.

I have some idea of what is popular now. I don't have time to really engross myself in that stuff.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Thu 9 Jan, 2020 04:40 pm
@Rebelofnj,
Look at secular cartoons, comics, video games, etc.

This stuff doesn't glorify God or reflect the Gospel message. It doesn't incite people, especially kids, to want to get Saved. It's worldly.

That's a no-brainer. A lot of this stuff glorifies things like witchcraft, paganism and the occult, which the world doesn't have a problem with.

Do you get the point I am making?
izzythepush

Reply Thu 9 Jan, 2020 04:47 pm
@JGoldman10,
Referencing something doesn't glorify it.

I don't think kids will be interested in your cartoons. They don't want to be preached at, they want to be entertained.

JGoldman10

Reply Thu 9 Jan, 2020 04:56 pm
@izzythepush,
I am not going to have elements of witchcraft, devilry, paganism or occultism in my toons and comics. I am not going to use fanservice either.

Some people I know wanted me to create sexy-looking, pin-uppy female characters for my cartoons and comics. I am not doing that.
Rebelofnj

Reply Thu 9 Jan, 2020 04:59 pm
@JGoldman10,
Then why do you watch that stuff?

You mentioned watching Ixapter's videos, and I'm sure they don't glorify God. Same with most classic cartoons and other shows you watched.

What cartoons, comics, shows, music have you enjoyed that have glorified God?
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Reply Thu 9 Jan, 2020 05:00 pm
@JGoldman10,
No one here has mentioned fan service in this thread. You are the one who brought it up without provocation.
JGoldman10

Reply Thu 9 Jan, 2020 05:03 pm
@Rebelofnj,
I am talking about using sex to sell stuff - cartoons, comics, video games, etc. A lot of people do that especially in what is supposed to be kids'/family entertainment.
Rebelofnj

Reply Thu 9 Jan, 2020 05:45 pm
@JGoldman10,
The top highest grossing films of 2019:

Avengers: Endgame
The Lion King remake
Frozen II
Spider-Man: Far From Home
Captain Marvel
Toy Story 4
Joker
Aladdin remake
Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker
Hobbs & Shaw

*all of them have no sex scenes, and the top 9 have no characters portrayed in a sexual manner. The 10th film, Hobbs & Shaw, have women in bikinis and loose clothing.

*8 of the films are part of franchises that are liked by families and children. The exceptions are Joker (R rated crime drama) and Hobbs & Shaw (action film from the Fast and Furious series).

Have you watched any of these films? I know you haven't seen Frozen II.
JGoldman10

Reply Thu 9 Jan, 2020 06:01 pm
@Rebelofnj,
No.
JGoldman10

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2020 09:24 pm
Getting back on topic:

Could Squirrel Girl beat heavyweight characters in the DC Universe? Powerhouse supervillains like Darkseid, Mongul, Brainiac and Doomsday?

Could she beat Joker, Batman or Lobo in a fight?

A fight between Squirrel Girl and Batman would be interesting - both characters keep tabs on the weaknesses of other characters in their respective universes.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2020 04:51 am
@JGoldman10,
I'd never heard of fanservice until you brought it up.

You remind me of an extreme dieter who pigs out when nobody's looking.

You're quite prurient.
JGoldman10

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2020 09:10 am
@izzythepush,
Reb is this site's comics culture expert. I will wait for him to answer the questions I just asked.

Here is a link explaining what fanservice is:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/fan_service
izzythepush

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2020 09:45 am
@JGoldman10,
I'm not interested, from what I've gathered it sounds a bit weird, and I'm not into stuff like that.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2020 09:46 am
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

Reb is this site's comics culture expert.

Not wanting to put him down because he knows a great deal, but I bet I know more about British comics than him.
Rebelofnj

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2020 10:00 am
@JGoldman10,
I typically avoid answering "Who would win" questions, especially if the characters are from different companies.

Squirrel Girl and her comic series in general are more comedic than the rest of the Marvel universe, so it is hard to tell if her unbeaten winning streak is ever taken seriously. Considering the large number of attacks by Thanos, Doctor Doom, and the like in recent years, the heroes never considered recruiting Squirrel Girl to help.

I recall in an issue of the New Avengers series during the Fear Itself crossover, Squirrel Girl was trapped at Avengers Mansion as Nazi robots attacked. She was saved by Daredevil who was one of the only heroes available.
https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/New_Avengers_Vol_2_16
Rebelofnj

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2020 10:07 am
@izzythepush,
Yeah, I have no knowledge whatsoever on British comics, except for Marvelman/Miracleman and I was only able to read that series last year when Marvel reprinted Alan Moore's run.

I know plenty of DC and Marvel, either by reading or going through the various wikis. For independent comics, it varies.
JGoldman10

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2020 10:10 am
@Rebelofnj,
Okay, why do you avoid hypothetical crossover battle questions?

You know more about DC and Marvel characters than I do.
Rebelofnj

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2020 10:26 am
@JGoldman10,
Because each universe has their own laws of how everything works, plus the inconsistency of how each character is written.

For example, Batman written by Grant Morrison (hyper-competent, well prepared) is very different from Batman written by Geoff Johns (more human, outmatched by the other superheroes).
izzythepush

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2020 11:46 am
@Rebelofnj,
Marvelman was a shame. With hindsight the similarity to Captain Marvel with the body swapping stuff was too much, but it was based on an early British comic character of the same name.

Your comic industry seems far more successful than ours. Our most successful comic is a parody of most British comics from the 70s that now have gone.

We never really had single character comics except for occasional one offs. Most British comic characters appeared as strips in comics like Beano, Dandy, Whizzer & Chips, and more action comics like Lion, Thunder, Valiant and ultimately 2000AD.

We did have some superhero figures, but they were a bit lame. This is Billy the Cat from The Beano.

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-51ti9QKOupc/WtxhwEu5FdI/AAAAAAAAhGg/LsTwXaDg3Ww7iBfuKS5k7aYvl54onCBtgCLcBGAs/s1600/billythecat.jpg

Usually though our characters, even those with special powers, weren't seen as superheroes, although they probably would if imagined your side of the pond.

The Spellbinder is similar to Dr Strange, but is in a very different universe.

https://images.squarespace-cdn.com/content/v1/55d9a2ebe4b090d1642480e9/1495126114787-2WQ3ASCZONMX1J337Z99/ke17ZwdGBToddI8pDm48kCTKnKJh6AJMDCc681utW-97gQa3H78H3Y0txjaiv_0fDoOvxcdMmMKkDsyUqMSsMWxHk725yiiHCCLfrh8O1z5QPOohDIaIeljMHgDF5CVlOqpeNLcJ80NK65_fV7S1UfA4BzZYprqoyvfO-_8Xvpdi6-4XAsXpTvI3JQS0wv5CvKP6mBEWr7p41hSI2WlIlA/image-asset.jpeg

Again with Janus Stark, special powers but not a superhero.

https://i1.wp.com/downthetubes.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Janus-Stark-2.jpg?resize=651%2C800&ssl=1
JGoldman10

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2020 12:20 pm
@Rebelofnj,
Wow. Okay.

I'll post my questions on Yahoo! Answers.
0 Replies