The obscure links between artists thread

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2008 10:28 pm
Please enlighten us with trivia by playing this game.

Start with the artist who ends the previous message, nominate another artist and tell us the obscure link you know, or have found, between the two.

The first artist is Little Millie and my link is to Rod Stewart who played the harmonica solo on her hit single My boy lollipop

If you have proof the link is an urban myth you can add your own, correct link, to another artist.

Gargamel

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 09:12 am
@hingehead,
I think I could be good at this game. I just don't know much Rod Stweart, only have a few favorite Faces songs, like Cindy Incidentally.

Anyways, here's hoping someone comes along to get this started.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 09:25 am
I don't know much about him either but I found this:

Rod Stewart became famous for his song "Maggie May".

Many people think he pilfered the name "Maggie May" from a tradional English folksong about a prostitute who robs a sailor.

Susan Vega sang "I'll Never Be Your Maggie May".
Gargamel

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 09:28 am
@boomerang,
A-ha!

Well, similarly, an 80s funk-punk band from L.A. wrote a song you might have heard, called "Jane Says," about an area prostitute they knew. In fact, they named themselves after her: Jane's Addiction.
boomerang

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 09:41 am
@Gargamel,
The founders of Jane's Addiction were reportedly big fans of The Velvet Underground which recorded "Sweet Jane".

"Sweet Jane" was later covered by a band called The Cowboy Junkies (just to bring the addiction part in).
hingehead

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 08:05 am
@boomerang,
Sweet Jane by the Cowboy Junkies featured on their album 'The Trinity Session' which they recorded in a church in Toronto - nearly two decades later Arcade Fire recorded their album 'Neon Bible' in a church outside Montreal.
Gargamel

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 08:24 am
@hingehead,
David Bowie, a few years ago, declared himself Arcade Fire's biggest fan. Here they are peforming together: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-wEBmLht5g
boomerang

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 08:29 am
@hingehead,
Arcade Fire's Win and William Butler's grandfather was swing band leader Alvino Rey.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 04:55 pm
@Gargamel,
Sorry Boomer - I'll go with the pitcher cos he got in first.

Soon after David Bowie released his 1977 album 'Low' Nick Lowe released an EP calle d 'Bowi'
panzade

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 01:29 pm
@hingehead,
Nick Lowe wrote "What's So Funny About Peace Love And Understanding" and it came out on A Brinsley Schwartz album.
Later, when Lowe produced Elvis Costello's album it was featured and became a hit
hingehead

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 10:58 pm
@panzade,
I didn't know that panz!

The keyboard player on Elvis Costello's first album 'My Aim Is True' was Sean Hopper, of Huey Lewis and The News.
panzade

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2008 09:12 am
@hingehead,
Huey Lewis met Sean Hopper through Sean's brothers, Larry(guitar) and Lance(bass) at Cornell . Lance and Larry went on to join John Hall's band Orleans

good one hinge...about Sean
hingehead

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 07:04 am
@panzade,
Hey Panz - are you sure Sean is Larry and Lance's brother? His last name is 'Hopper' and their's is 'Hoppen' (according to www.allmusic.com and the Virgin Encyclopedia of 70s Music). But I'll defer if you got inside knowledge.
hingehead

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 07:29 am
@panzade,
Orleans first album was recorded at Muscle Shoals Studios, and many other artists recorded albums to take advantage of the inhouse band (who formed and owned the studio). Just one example is Paul Simon's 'There Goes Rhymin' Simon'.
Gargamel

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 04:12 pm
@hingehead,
Paul Simon and musical partner Art Garfunkel attended Forest Hills High School, near NYC, where the four original Ramones would later meet.
hingehead

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 04:27 pm
@Gargamel,
That's a good one pitcher - can see the similarity in their music pffft!

The Ramones debut gig was at CBGBs 16 August 1974. It was also Madonna's 16th Birthday.
boomerang

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 05:43 pm
@hingehead,
Madonna turned 50 on the same day as Angela Bassett who played Tina Turner in the movie "What's Love Got To Do With It".
hingehead

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 07:12 pm
@boomerang,
Tina Turner appeared in the third Mad Max/Road Warrior movie, Beyond Thunderdome. Also appearing was Rose Tattoo's diminutive bald frontman Angry Anderson.
boomerang

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 07:25 pm
@hingehead,
Rose Tattoo debuted at a club called "Chequers" which earlier had helped make AC/DC famous.
hingehead

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 07:48 pm
@boomerang,
Malcolm and Angus Young are the younger brothers of George Young of the Easybeats (Friday On My Mind)