inter-racial dating

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 10:53 am
I am black/native american.
Mr Wolf is as white as white can get .
We have been together for a few years and it still bothers me when i see people look at us 'funny'.
There have been even more hatefull looks after our daughter was born.
it is STILL an issue in this society for mixed race couples to EVEN be in existance.
But, the way I look at it.. well.. actually Let me rephrase this.
I NEVER looked at it before. I never thought of him as 'white' .. or anything other then a man I loved. When i see people look at is for our skin color I have to wonder why appearance is such a big deal?
I dont understand WHY anyone even gives a flying f*** about skin color anymore.
If you go back far enough in someones family line, EVERYONE is a mixed race. There is no longer a completely WHITE, BLACK, or ASIAN person anymore. We are all mixed..so why is it important for people to still pay attention to it?
Mad Ug. It really frustrates me.
As people have said, if your friends are racists as you describe, now is the perfect opportunity to make more.

Noddy asked - Who owns your soul? You or your friends?
WONDERFUL statement.

Peoples opinions are important to us no matter what we say. Deep down we just want to be accepted by everyone on many levels. Truth is that this never happens. But dont let others opinions of you and your life choices ruin your fun , and dictate who you are and who you love.
In the end, you are the only one who is responsible for your decisions and accountable for how you feel about them. Make your choices fullfilling and peoples reactions to you will mean nothing .
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 11:21 am
Re: inter-racial dating
Baby_Gurl wrote:
do you think it is ok to date a guy who is a different race?
Question

Yes.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 11:27 am
I have an interracial marriage. No big deal.

You shouldn't limit yourself with things that don't matter. What other people think is one of those things.

... and just look over there on the left... how cute the result is!
0 Replies

Synonymph

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 11:28 am
The friends sound manipulative, or possibly envious.

Are you in a metropolitan area, or a small town?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 11:36 am
shewolfnm wrote:
I am black/native american.

You are? Shocked

(just kidding of course, my lovely little dumplin' :wink: Very Happy )
0 Replies

ScienceGurl

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 12:36 pm
if u like the guy date the guy! y sacrifice ur happiness to be wot ur friends think u shud b?my family is a right old mixture and hearing stories of how they all met is really interesting - it also means we sometimes get hassle off ignorant people which we always happen but lifes too short - go get him and enjoy! Very Happy
0 Replies

ConstitutionalGirl

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 05:54 pm
Babygurl, if you talking about that little green guy, than no you can't have him, he's mine. Twisted Evil
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 06:04 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
I have an interracial marriage. No big deal.

You shouldn't limit yourself with things that don't matter. What other people think is one of those things.

... and just look over there on the left... how cute the result is!

ebrown - the result couldn't be any more gorgeous.

~~~~~~~~~~

Do I think it's ok to date a person of a different race?

Yes.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 10:31 pm
If you listen to just one post, listen to what Noddy said. It is so sad to think of all the relationships that never got off the ground because of racism.

I was invited to the junior prom by a great Mexican boy who had become a good friend between classes at school. My mother let me go with him simply because my father was away on a conference--it wouldn't have happened if my father had been there. We went, had a lovely time, but some of our friends completely ignored us. It was hard on both of us because of the looks, the cold response of most other couples. It was 1959. We never went out again--lost touch and went our separate ways. I have always wondered what it would have been like had both of us been braver.

These days there is still ugly racism, but I bet most people would support your decision to date this guy. How many of your friends really object? Are they really good friends? Have you looked into your heart and asked if you think standing up to the opinions of others is the right thing to do? Have you wondered if you want to be the kind of person who lets others make their decidions instead of standing by your decisions with pride?

You have come here obviously because you need support. We are strangers, but we can be objective because of not knowing who you are. Go with your feelings. Trust and respect yourself.
0 Replies

Zane

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2005 08:23 am
I've dated women of different racial backgrounds. I was hassled only once...by two black women who literally hissed at the white woman I with and accused me of being a traitor to my race. It was a disgusting display of ignorance.
0 Replies

Synonymph

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2005 08:39 am
It wasn't that bad. I hissed back and then flipped them off after they were a safe distance away.
0 Replies

ConstitutionalGirl

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2005 02:30 pm
Synonymph wrote:
It wasn't that bad. I hissed back and then flipped them off after they were a safe distance away.
Where I live, hissing is some sort of flirtation, and that's where make my move, if they'er pretty of coarse.
0 Replies

Zane

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2005 02:36 pm
ConstGirl:

You: not following this conversation.

Me: even more confused than usual.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2005 02:48 pm
ConstitutionalGirl wrote:
Synonymph wrote:
Where I live, hissing is some sort of flirtation, and that's where make my move, if they'er pretty of coarse.

hissssssssssssssssssssssssssssss....

<<waiting anxiously>>
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2005 02:50 pm
CG hisses at/hits on women?

Not that there's anything wrong with that.
I think.
<head spins around a few more times>
0 Replies

Zane

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2005 02:53 pm
Could be she hisses at pretty men.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2005 02:55 pm
Could be.

Maybe.

I think they have to have red hair and freckles in that case.

Which doesn't explain Prince William.
0 Replies

Zane

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2005 02:58 pm
Could be she is really interested in Prince Harry.
0 Replies

Synonymph

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2005 03:53 pm
I like ConstitutionalGirl. She's quite the oxymoron.
0 Replies

Zane

Reply Sat 25 Jun, 2005 06:38 am
Synonymph wrote:

I should explain here: Although it would likely be the best thing that ever happened to me, Syn and I aren't actually really dating. She's a relentless tease.
0 Replies