inter-racial dating

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 08:40 am
do you think it is ok to date a guy who is a different race?
Question
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,979 • Replies: 52
No top replies

Synonymph

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 08:56 am
Like, an alien?
0 Replies

BabyGurl2

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 08:57 am
me and this guy are really good friends, we both like each other, but are too worried about what others think...

PLEASEE help!
0 Replies

BabyGurl2

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 08:58 am
no like white/black

i mean, i most definitely am NOT racist, obviously... but a ton of people think that it is COMPLETELY wrong to like to even think about it
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 09:05 am
If you like this guy you should date him. I know that a lot of people disagree and that is unfortunate but it will end only when people like you say to hell with what others think and go with your heart.
0 Replies

MrBob329

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 09:11 am
ya, who cares lol...i mean i could understand that your family may be troubled by it, but as long as you care for the person whats the big deal, just a different skin pigment

i would personally not do it, because my parents are very old school italian catholics...ya i jsut wanna keep things less confrontational but its not a problem
0 Replies

BabyGurl2

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 09:17 am
my parents are cool with it... but its getting support from friends who undoubtly think it is morally wrong
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 09:20 am
Why would anyone think it is morally wrong? I just can't understand that...

I could see objecting to your child dating a goat but someone with a different skin color? Another human being? Just don't get it.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 09:21 am
Baby_Gurl--

You like the guy.

Your parents have no problem with this guy.

Your friends think "it is morally wrong".

Who owns your soul--you or your friends?
0 Replies

BabyGurl2

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 09:26 am
the background
me and this guy just met this year, but we have been through a lot of things. He is the type of person i can easily talk to and not be so secluded to my own thoughts. I mean we can talk about anything, no matter what it is about. we know that we both like each other but cant get past the barrier that there are people that object.... Hes an all around great person to be around, which pretty much makes him one of my best guy friends... we have liked each other since like november and we still do... but having a thought of being critized about who you like and/or go out with, i think is wrong.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 09:28 am
Er, are we still in the 50's/60's.

Your friends arnt your friends if they say its a race thing.If he was a nasty guy then they should say because theyd be looking out for you but whats morality got to do with it.
Should you go out with a guy the same colour as you, but not like him?!Would that be more acceptable?!!

Your parents are the biggest hurdle.If your parents are ok with it then ignore your so called friends.

If you want to date someone of another colour, DO IT.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 09:43 am
It isn't a morality issue. It's a fear issue. Ignorance breeds fear. Fear breeds hate. Why people still think that skin color determins anything is beyond me.

Date the guy.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 09:51 am
Baby_Gurl wrote:
... but its getting support from friends who undoubtly think it is morally wrong

You need new friends. This is the perfect opportunity.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 09:53 am
jpinMilwaukee wrote:
Baby_Gurl wrote:
... but its getting support from friends who undoubtly think it is morally wrong

You need new friends. This is the perfect opportunity.

exactly!
0 Replies

dragon49

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 09:55 am
baby_gurl,

my best friend is black and she is married to a white man. I am chinese and married to a white man. we are all happy. if your friends don't like, get new ones. if they can't accept you for who you are, they aren't worth your time.

there is nothing morally wrong with it, that's ridiculous. tell them to grow up, get a life, and get out of yours.
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 10:00 am
Be prepared for nastiness.
Know that it will come and plan how to deal with it.
It is not going to be easy.

I grew up a white Irish Catholic male in Boston.
I was never subjected to prejudice until I went out with a Chinese woman.
(That kind of racial mix was a much bigger deal thirty years ago.)
It was not easy for me, but I learned to deal with it.
So can you, if you really want to.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 10:01 am
dragon49 wrote:
baby_gurl,

my best friend is black and she is married to a white man. I am chinese and married to a white man. we are all happy. if your friends don't like, get new ones. if they can't accept you for who you are, they aren't worth your time.

there is nothing morally wrong with it, that's ridiculous. tell them to grow up, get a life, and get out of yours.

Exactly. I know many people of mixed marriages and they are getting along famously. As long as people are happy, who cares what the colour is. It is the same with thinking people who you have never met and only speak to on the telephone are great until you meet them and find they are a different colour. They where ok when the colour wasn't seen. Live for yourself and not your friends. You can get new friends but you have to live with yourself forever.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 10:03 am
Maybe your friends have learnt to be racist through their own parents who are stuck in the past.

Do you have any friends that approve?
Maybe you could re-educate the ones who dissaprove.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 10:10 am
ask your friends who they think someone like Tiger Woods should date, not to mention all the supposedly white people who have an American Indian for a great-great-great-grandmother.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 10:14 am
None of us are "pure" anything. We're all mutts. Someone, somewhere in our ancestry married or slept with someone of a different race.
0 Replies