I Think I Am Dying. Ok, I Just WANT To Die....

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 07:07 am
I was out sick yesterday and I really shouldn't be here today but it is a very busy time and you know how it is....

I haven't eaten anything solid (that stayed in at least) in over 24 hours. If it didn't come up, it still found a way out. Jello is my new best friend this morning since it appears to be saying put. It's only been 20 minutes since I ate so, we'll see....I can hardly stand for long, stairs are like mountains and I just feel awful. On a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being great, I feel about a 4. Which is a tremendous upgrade from yesterday. I think the upgrade is from being able to keep some liquids in my body. I haven't had anything to drink in a while either.

I think I may have food poisoning, but can't be sure. How long can it take to get sick? I ask because I ate some raw cookie dough on Saturday and was got sick on Monday night. Too long? Is this just a REALLY bad stomach flu?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,627 • Replies: 27
No top replies

msolga

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 07:28 am
I have no idea of what's causing you to be so ill, Bella Dea, but I just wanted to wish you well in getting better - fast! It does sound a long time for food poisoning to take hold & continue, but then, I'm not a medical expert. Take extra good care of yourself & keep up your intake of water.
Do you think another visit to your doctor could be a good idea if this doesn't clear up soon?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 07:34 am
Go home!!!

Meanwhile, as much as you might want to go with the good thing, hold out for a while before you have more jello/ liquids. Your stomach lining is inflamed and irritated and even if the original cause has passed, you need to treat your tummy gently. No water, but clear liquids like jello (good) and chicken broth -- SMALL amounts, staggered as far as you can stand.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 07:37 am
I've had about 1/4 of a cup of jello, maybe 1/2 cup. I am drinking Gatorade because it has a little potassium in it. But I've only had about 1/4 cup of that too.

This sucks....
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 07:39 am
Was it you that had a dizzy spell the other morning??Do you think its connected?

As my mum always says when im ill, try and drink plenty of fluids.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 07:44 am
For some reason, Bella Dea, the last time I had a gastric ailment, my doctor recommemed drinking lots of raspberry cordial ... with water, of course! Very Happy
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 07:46 am
material girl wrote:
Was it you that had a dizzy spell the other morning??Do you think its connected?

As my mum always says when im ill, try and drink plenty of fluids.

Yeah, I did....I don't know. I do know that I have never been this sick in my life which is why I thought maybe food poisoning.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 07:47 am
msolga wrote:
For some reason, Bella Dea, the last time I had a gastric ailment, my doctor recommemed drinking lots of raspberry cordial ... with water, of course! Very Happy

Hm.....I just need someone to get it for me. I don't have the strength to walk though the store. Sad
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 07:49 am
oh, sorry Bella. I hope you feel better soon. If it doesn't stop by later today you should go to the ER for a culture.

It could possibly take that long. Particularly if there were minute quantities of bacteria in the raw cookie dough you ate. This sounds reasonable if you think of a whole batch of cookie dough having one contaminated egg mixed through it. You'd have to have eaten a bunch of it to get much of the egg. The small amount of bacteria you got from the egg would take time to multiply to the point of making you sick.

Although the only way to tell for sure which bug is causing the symptoms is to have a stool culture, I checked my medical micro book for food poisoning. Here are the bugs, symptoms, and onset of symptoms after eating, common sources:

Salmonella: Abd pain, diarrhea, chills, fever, frequent vomiting, prostration; 7-72hrs; undercooked eggs, poultry.

Staph: Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, acute prostration, abd cramps; 1-6hrs; ham, cream-filled pastries, poultry, potato salad.

Strep: Nausea, sometimes vomiting, colicky pains, diarrhea; 2-18hrs; any contaminated unrefrigerated food.

Botulism: difficulty swallowing, double vision, difficulty in speech and respiration, followed by death from paralysis of muscles of respiration; 2-8 days; home-canned, low-acid products.

Bacillus cereus: Nausea, sometimes vomiting, colicky pains, diarrhea; 2-18hr; inadequately refrigerated starchy foods.

Clostridium perfringes: nausea, sometimes vomiting, colicky pains, diarrhea; 2-18hrs; poultry and meat products cooked and left unrefrigerated at warm temps for several hours.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 07:52 am
Hm...well, I only threw up 2 times and went to the bathroom about 14 times. I had a bit of a fever yesterday and maybe a low grade one today. What is prostration?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 07:55 am
(No chance of being pregnant?)
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 07:55 am
helpless, weak, exhausted, unable to get out of bed...
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 08:03 am
Oh, Bella. I do hope you feel better soon. sounds miserable. Would get that cordial for you if I could.

((((Hugs))))
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 08:04 am
Always a possibility....

But diarrhea? That has been my major method of exit.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 08:17 am
Sounds microbial to me. Maybe not the raw cookie dough (wouldn't want to have to give that up!) Might just be a bug you've picked up. There was a flu going around a couple of years ago in the summer, which went against the winter tradition for flu season.

Definitely see a doc if not better by end of day. You can become dehydrated very quickly!
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 08:21 am
any fever?
sweats?
yellow/green color to your puke?

( huggs! )
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 11:23 am
No hugging! You don't want to catch whatever she has, shewolf!

Go HOME, Bella!

Better yet, stop by the doctor on the way there. (It's not food poisoning...better find out if it's contagious.)
0 Replies

dragon49

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 11:37 am
bella--feel better-go home!!!!

last time i was sick, someone gave me this mix that was grape flavored. it tasted really good and was full of electrolytes so it was supposed to give a little more energy since you can't keep anything down. i can't remember what it was called, but i will look for it for you.

go get in bed!!!!!
0 Replies

dragon49

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 11:46 am
ok i can't find the name of it, but i am sure if you go to a pharmacy or something they will have it. also recommended to boost electrolytes...

pedialyte (for kids so i bet it tastes good and they have it popsicles now!)

gatorade watered down so the sugar concentration isn't so high which can supposedly dehydrate you even more

jello water-doubling the water on jello mix and drinking it.

get better dear bella
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 12:06 pm
Unfortunately I have a very weak stomach so anything strange or slightly off that I eat will generate the runs, so I can commiserate. Try eating a dry piece of toast. Put it in your mouth, bite off a tiny piece, and let it sit on your tongue until it is soggy and slowly break into pieces with your tongue and swallow. Take your time, no rush. Since the act of eating would make the bile rise again for me, this was unlike eating since it was slow, no teeth involved in chewing and I didn't feel like it was food really. I found that this at least put something in my stomach so I'd feel less weak. I would also drink clear flat soda - like 7UP or Sprite. Pour it into a glass and leave until there are no more bubbles. Room temperature is better since your osophagus (sp?) doesn't feel the shock of cold going down.

It does sound like something you ingested had a bit of a bug on it and it doesn't necessarily have to be food - you could have eaten with your fingers after having held a rail on a train that someone with a bug coughed all over recently. The body is usually very resilient but some bugs just get through and hit you for a loop.

If this normally never happens to you and this diarrhea continues any longer than 48 hours you really should consult a doctor.
0 Replies