Foxhunting with dogs. Should it be made illegal?

cjhsa

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 09:39 pm
GeesePeace!!!!! LMAO!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 09:48 pm
They bear bait in Maine also, except not just on Fed Land. Its just a political deal to "make jobs" for guides. I say, if a hunters too damn dumb to find his way out , F*ck im. Bear baiting is just plain dim and creates "habituated bears" Those kind will get after your garbage and then when they get moved they raid somebody elses.
Im not against any hunting, if the end result is consumption of a tasty wild food.Bear can hardly be considered tasty and Trophy hunting is a very strange hobby practised only by people who NEED to collect trophies (wives, bears, Lamborghinis, etc). It seems to reassure the trophy seeker that his member is bigger.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 09:53 pm
Hunting for food I understand.

Recreational hunting I don't understand. But then there aren't that many recreational things other than sex that I really understand.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 09:55 pm
I grew up with fishing and hunting, in a community in which it was considered normal. If a market gardener had problems with rabbits, they'd pay you to kill them, and you were expected to bring them home to be cooked, because anything else would be wasteful.

Then i read Never Cry Wolf, by Farley Mowat. He tells of parties of "hunters" flown up from Montréal or Toronto, who would slaughter dozens of caribou, from the aircraft, which would then land so that the best trophy heads could be cut off and the rest of the carcasse and the other dead animals left to rot. In southern Illinois, farmers take white wash and paint COW in huge letters on the sides of their livestock, in anticipation of the idjits from St. Louis and Chicago who will show up and shoot anything on four legs. The old joke runs: "OK, OK, lady, you can have yer deer, just let me get my saddle off him first."

I agree entirely with FM that most hunting has nothing to do with food--it's all about a hard dick and proving what a real man the hunter is. It's pathetic.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 11:26 pm
Hunters shoot each other too, don't they?

There is a difference between skulking around with a high-powered rifle, and careering around at speed on a big horse. It takes a bit of bottle to do that.

What's my point? None really. They're different, that's all.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 12:48 am
Osso in love with Ellpus, to no avail, hangs self on yardarm of the HMS bounty...

so, personally I am not at all for fox hunting with or without dogs. Well, there you have me, I'm not so keen on hunting at all, except for local sustenance in times of dire, very dire, stress.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 01:54 pm
Setanta wrote:
I grew up with fishing and hunting, in a community in which it was considered normal.

I agree entirely with FM that most hunting has nothing to do with food--it's all about a hard dick and proving what a real man the hunter is. It's pathetic.

I bet you couldn't hunt any more if you had to. Shocked Laughing
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2005 02:07 pm
My concern with the banning of fox hunting with dogs is that what the antis really want is to end all hunting, and this is just a step in that direction. The next thing will be banning all hunting with dogs (ever try to hunt partridge or pheasant without them - it ain't easy). I'm 42 and quite tired of being the damn dog.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2005 02:19 pm
cjhsa wrote:
My concern with the banning of fox hunting with dogs is that what the antis really want is to end all hunting, and this is just a step in that direction. The next thing will be banning all hunting with dogs (ever try to hunt partridge or pheasant without them - it ain't easy). I'm 42 and quite tired of being the damn dog.

Most of the foxhunting-must-be-banned people in this country would also like to have fishing banned. This is a whole different proposition, and the pastime is so popular (with the lower social strata too) that no politician would attempt to ban it; electoral suicide.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2005 02:30 pm
Anybody who doesn't like fishing is a weeny. Laughing

Just what do these people eat? Are they blissfully ignorant of the millions of rodents and other animals that are killed or driven from their homes as the combines roll across the soybean fields?
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2005 05:27 pm
cjhsa wrote:
Anybody who doesn't like fishing is a weeny. Laughing

Just what do these people eat? Are they blissfully ignorant of the millions of rodents and other animals that are killed or driven from their homes as the combines roll across the soybean fields?

Silly me. I fail to see the connection between fox hunting with dogs and rodents being killed by combines. Or, or you suggesting that rednecks in combines are roaming the fields tracking down the rodents for sport.
Shocked
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2005 01:17 am
Although i see your point, the use of redneck in just about any context is offensive, and in this particular context, more than a little egregious. Redneck was a term coined by the English to describe Irish tenant farmers; it has become a widespread term as applied to Southerners by Northerners in the United States. As i am descended from the Irish, and as i spent my youth and about half my life in total in the American South, i object to the usage on both counts.

It is particularly offensive to see it used by a foreigner, who likely knows squat about the South, about rednecks and about the entire issue here.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2005 05:39 am
Setanta wrote:
Although i see your point, the use of redneck in just about any context is offensive, and in this particular context, more than a little egregious. Redneck was a term coined by the English to describe Irish tenant farmers; it has become a widespread term as applied to Southerners by Northerners in the United States. As i am descended from the Irish, and as i spent my youth and about half my life in total in the American South, i object to the usage on both counts.

It is particularly offensive to see it used by a foreigner, who likely knows squat about the South, about rednecks and about the entire issue here.

Dictionary definition

red·neck ( P ) Pronunciation Key (rdnk)
n. Offensive Slang
Used as a disparaging term for a member of the white rural laboring class, especially in the southern United States.
A white person regarded as having a provincial, conservative, often bigoted attitude.

I will use any word that I feel is appropriate. If you take personal afront to that then that is your perogative. My comment stands. I take exception to the term Canajun and foreigner, but I do not go on and whine about it.

Perhaps you could enlighten me on my lack of knowledge on the south (which was not even mentioned and is not the sole domain of rednecks), rednecks (of which you appear to be leaning toward), and the entire issue here (which you have taken off topic)

I hope your day gets better.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2005 07:00 am
My day is fine. How tediously predictable that you have taken the first opportunity to suggest that i am a redneck. How common and low brow it is for a Canuck to refer to Americans as rednecks, especially in a context in which he assumes he refers to those with whom he disagrees.

I have not the least doubt that you will persist in employing ludicrous and hateful stereotypes. It appears to me to be very much in character--to use character is one of its loosest senses.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2005 08:56 am
Setanta wrote:
My day is fine. How tediously predictable that you have taken the first opportunity to suggest that i am a redneck. How common and low brow it is for a Canuck to refer to Americans as rednecks, especially in a context in which he assumes he refers to those with whom he disagrees.

I have not the least doubt that you will persist in employing ludicrous and hateful stereotypes. It appears to me to be very much in character--to use character is one of its loosest senses.

Your boyish, immature outbursts have no effect on me. I will not bring myself down to your low stature by carrying on this "conversation". If you read back a couple of posts, you will see that it was you who became offensive and defensive and on the verge of silliness over the use of one word thatl you did not like. More mature individuals would have overlooked it.
Shocked
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2005 09:21 am
Obviously, i should defer to the wisdom of such a paragon of maturity. In response to CJ's post about combines destroying the habitats of rodents, you wrote: "Silly me. I fail to see the connection between fox hunting with dogs and rodents being killed by combines. Or, or you suggesting that rednecks in combines are roaming the fields tracking down the rodents for sport." This was an example, then, of a mature response? It is as childish to have unnecessarily used the term redneck in that context as you allege my response to have been. When i responded to your egregious use of the term redneck, i did not make any remarks which reflected on your character--and i definitely did not use the word Canajun in that response. You are a foreigner when at an American based site, get over it. You immediately came back with the suggestion that i am probably a redneck.

Tell me all about childish responses and maturity, Intrepid, you display such expertise.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2005 09:46 am
UhOh!
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2005 10:37 am
Intrepid wrote:

Silly me. I fail to see the connection between fox hunting with dogs and rodents being killed by combines. Or, or you suggesting that rednecks in combines are roaming the fields tracking down the rodents for sport.
Shocked

Apparently you aren't very good at making connections.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2005 10:41 am
For the record, I'm probably the most gentrified redneck you could ever meet. I'm equally at home sitting down in a 5-star restaurant (and ordering the wine) as I am catching my own dinner from a stream.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2005 04:10 pm
what wine would you reccomend for a fried catfish en croute served with a poive bernaise?
0 Replies