Starbucks - what's your favorite coffee?

Julee

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2005 10:56 pm
I stopped at Starbucks on the way home earlier. Inspiration for a senseless thread - What's your favourite caffeine fix at Starbucks?

I just love my tall skinny coconut latte (with four bags of sweet and low)...with a slice of caramel cheesecake (it's the best cheesecake EVER!!).

But Starbucks really is the coffee mafia - 3.70 Euros for a bloody coffee is a little too pricey. But it's so damn good....mhhhh...addictive...

Julie Very Happy

edited because my grammar sucks :wink:
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 4,501 • Replies: 31
No top replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2005 11:11 pm
Hazelnut *smiles*
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2005 11:55 pm
A husband of a friend knows one of the original starbucks owners, and so what. Coffee existed before them, and was done better before them.

It is true a whole coffee culture has happened at least to some extent from their corporate push, and I admit being happy to find a starbucks myself. But - no nods for coffeeness or style. They are just here and everywhere.

I don't have quite the same resentment of Peet's, which may or may not have preceeded starbucks.

Talk to me of coffees in italian bars; south american bars...
and I gather turkish coffeehouses. I am fairly ignorant on all that, but I know starbucks is late in the knowledge of coffee.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2005 12:06 am
My addiction is for pure, unadulterated Italian! A good cup of the stuff reminds me that yes, coffee is definitely a drug! Very Happy
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2005 11:55 pm
Coffee
Coffee has sure come a long way baby! Very Happy
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2005 01:39 am
Cafe misto using their mild coffee.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2005 04:55 am
you mean Charbucks. hey seem to overroast their coffees. I like little coffee shops that roast their own.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2005 09:16 am
I have a friend who has recently gotten into roasting his own beans, a small bunch at a time. Coffee costs immensely less if you do that; one can order a wide variety of unroasted (green) beans online for a fraction of the price of roasted beans. He's having a lot of fun trying different varieties. It all sounds too much like work to me...
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2005 09:56 am
That does sound like a lot of work, osso, but it would be interesting to try that out one day.

At home I grind my own beans, usually the espresso ones or as dark as I can find. I have heard that the darker roasts actually have less caffeine in them than the milder roasts. Does anyone know for certain if there is any fact in that? I just enjoy a very deep, full bodied, rich tasting brew, straight up, virgin style when I'm at home.

If for some reason I do hit a Starbucks or similar coffee shop, it is always the same. Venti Vanilla Latte, extra hot with two raw sugars and occasionally an extra shot.

Opposite extremes I are. Smile
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2005 10:40 am
I'm with MsOlga - italian coffee for me and my coffeemaker.

STarbucks tastes just terrible.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2005 10:49 am
I agree Starbucks coffee doesn't taste all that good. The time I was cheered to find a Starbucks was when I was driving through California and really wanted a cup of coffee to rev my way along - and saw one off the highway in Salinas. Beats Burger King's coffee....
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2005 10:52 am
Mickie D's is the worst coffee. It taste like acid!
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2005 10:23 am
Lady J wrote:
I have heard that the darker roasts actually have less caffeine in them than the milder roasts. Does anyone know for certain if there is any fact in that? I just enjoy a very deep, full bodied, rich tasting brew, straight up, virgin style when I'm at home.

That is true. The beans lose caffine during the roasting proccess so the darker the roast the less caffine. It probably isn't a significant amount that you would notice though.

I actually really like SB coffee. I worked there for about a year for the health insurance and really learned a ton about coffee. People are always complaining about how dark they roast their beans but it really depends on the coffee and that persons preference. I say the darker the better.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2005 10:34 am
I avoid Starbucks whenever possible. Fortunately, despite the fact that there's one on every corner here, one can do that and still drink good coffee.

Believe it or not, when I moved here there were three Starbucks. In the entire world...
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2005 11:23 am
Double expresso with two sugars - I am with msolga !!!

Just like I men - dark, short, sweet and strong.. <sigh>
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2005 12:16 pm
jpinMilwaukee wrote:
Lady J wrote:
I have heard that the darker roasts actually have less caffeine in them than the milder roasts. Does anyone know for certain if there is any fact in that? I just enjoy a very deep, full bodied, rich tasting brew, straight up, virgin style when I'm at home.

That is true. The beans lose caffine during the roasting proccess so the darker the roast the less caffine. It probably isn't a significant amount that you would notice though.

I actually really like SB coffee. I worked there for about a year for the health insurance and really learned a ton about coffee. People are always complaining about how dark they roast their beans but it really depends on the coffee and that persons preference. I say the darker the better.

Thank you for the facts, JP! I knew someone here had to know for sure. Smile I am so with you on the darker the better! I have no disrespect for Starbucks at all. They are indeed one very fast growing corporation and they are obviously doing something right or they wouldn't have the following that they do and it is very hard to deny that they do have a following.
0 Replies

Julee

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2005 12:43 am
I agree that there is a major difference between Starbucks and "real coffee". My family is originally from Spain, so they make their coffees with aluminium cafeteras (a small coffee maker you heat up on the stove). It's really strong coffee and I love it.

But I like Starbucks coffee because - the way I drink it - it's sweet and smooth (and my stomach loves it, too!) and you can just down it. I'm also a big fan of their coffee frappucinos - reminds me of Frappe in Greece!

I use a Senseo coffee maker at home (and I am just zipping on a beautiful coffee right now). It makes really good coffee, too. (Still, probably not coffee-ish enough for the hardcore coffee fans). =)

Re Mickey D's - my uncle goes crazy over their coffee - he still says it's the best coffee in the world... Rolling Eyes I should mention that he is 78 though...haha! I guess his heart can't deal with "real" coffee anymore!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2005 01:13 am
the prince wrote:

Laughing
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2005 09:01 am
msolga wrote:
the prince wrote:

Laughing

I laughed at that one too.
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2005 11:56 am
Julee wrote:
I use a Senseo coffee maker at home (and I am just zipping on a beautiful coffee right now). It makes really good coffee, too. (Still, probably not coffee-ish enough for the hardcore coffee drinkers

I have been thinking of getting a new coffee maker, I will look for a Senseo. I like my coffee to be smooth too, and sometimes I like it very dark. Do you need a Colador (strainer) when you use the Cafetera or does it have one built in?

The Pulp Fiction cd is kewl!
0 Replies