How do you take your coffee or tea?

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2017 07:12 am
How do you take your daily coffee or tea? Milk, cream, sugar, butter, shot or two of whiskey, etc...? Or do you drink energy drinks to get your morning buzz on?

How many cups of coffee do you drink in a given day? Do you have a great office mug that you're defensive about and will fight to the death if other people even think about using it?

What is your ideal coffee drink (the one you drink on a rare occasion/a splurge of sorts)?

Does drinking coffee late in the day guarantee to keep you from falling asleep or sleeping soundly at night?

https://i.imgur.com/8T3ZWxG.jpg
Twisted Doodles
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 27 • Views: 23,571 • Replies: 114

izzythepush

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2017 09:05 am
@tsarstepan,
I have one cup of espresso with milk and sugar in the morning, (I know the milk and sugar stops it being an espresso, but it is before I add it.)

After that it's tea for the rest of the day, PG Tips, strong, no sugar, bit of semi skimmed milk.

http://thumbs.ebaystatic.com/images/g/uoAAAOxyzi9Se-RS/s-l225.jpg
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2017 09:13 am
I awake to a cup, sometimes two, of coffee. Plain, black. Sometimes between 6:00 and 1:30 I may have another coffee. After 1:30, I have perhaps three more coffees up until dinner time. More often than not, I have sweet ice tea at dinner.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2017 09:27 am
Since 1992, I have generally (can't say EVERY day) had a diet raspberry tea Snapple in the morning.

Recently, due to work stuff, I have started getting a large McDonalds coffee black with 2 splenda in it. I then have some sugar free french vanilla cream in my fridge at work.

I enjoy mild coffee over robust.
0 Replies

thack45

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2017 09:46 am
One or two a day. Black because I'm either in too much of a hurry or too lazy to add cream/sugar, plus plain ol' black gives a necessary punch to the face in the morning
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2017 09:49 am
Tea with honey and a spoon of milk. Coffee I wish but can't or won't sleep at night. I take instead a decaf expresso with loads of sugar...Yeah, I know I spoil the coffee taste. In my defense, my first zip goes without any sugar. I like the contrast.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2017 11:49 am
Typically one - most but all not mornings - Coffee...iced...with just a little cream.

On a rare occasion I might have a cappuccino hot after a nice dinner out.

But besides that always iced even in the dead of winter.

And the occasional iced tea not sweetened with just a squeeze of lemon - that would be my lunch drink if I eat lunch out.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2017 11:51 am
@izzythepush,
huh? italians load their espressos (in italian, that's espressi) in small cups with sugar all the time, and one is still called un caffe espresso . Sometimes they add grappa, so it's called un caffe alla grappa, or espresso corretto. One famous place in Rome puts the sugar in for you (I learned to stop them as they put in too much, for me anyway.

Milk, though, will make it a "caffe latte", but as you know the coffee part of it is still made with espresso beans. Same with a "macchiato", just less milk. It's fun to remember all this.

I have a lovely stove top espresso maker that I haven't used for years now - but I should.

Mine is similar, but has nicer lines by far. I got mine at the Salvation Army store at least 20 years ago for little money.
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/31xxQ61RAmL.jpg
ehBeth

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2017 12:06 pm
I drink tea. A lot.

What I put in it depends on what kind of tea it is - and the season. In the winter I tend to drink spicier teas (various chais) and put milk and sugar in. In the summer it is a simple black tea, no milk, no sugar. I've started tracking it a bit, and some days I have 3 or 4 different types of tea. In a week, I can easily have 10 - 15 different types of tea.

__

If I find myself at a McDonalds , I'll have a large Earl Grey with milk and honey.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2017 12:42 pm
Meantime, I've recently been buying espresso coffee beans, but not using my stove top espresso maker of the type shown above - just using my regular drip cheapo Proctor Silex purchased at the grocery store. I haven't had a real spitting expresso machine since my time in northern California.
The espresso in the drip machine still tastes good, but isn't the same as the olden way.

The thing is, re the stove top, that I make my coffee in the morning, and the morning is my dumb as a donut time, really both lazy and dumb together. Thus I don't feel like looking up the directions to use it until both eyes are open and in working order (I have blepharitis, another story). Which is funny, since I remember the directions are easy. I should at least write them down, some sunny afternoon.

I do drink some tea, usually Assam, but not all that often. On putting things in coffee, I haven't had an irish coffee in years and years. Sugar? per coffee mug, 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon and none in the refill.

What am I picky about? I like my coffee nice and hot.
Favorite brand of coffee, because it's good and also for sentimental reasons, I like Peets. Have been to Peets in Berkeley, and on Chestnut Street in San Francisco, and remain sentimental about SF, despite some recent changes in the city. Never did live there, but drove through or stayed with pals a million times.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2017 12:49 pm
@tsarstepan,
In most cases black, the way coffee should be savored. Occasionally I go wild and add milk and Equal. A few cups a day seems to be good although some days I go without any which leads to a painful withdrawal headache.

As for the supposed downside of caffeine interfering with sleep, it never has. I can drink 2 cups at midnight and be asleep 10 minutes later.
ossobucotemp

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2017 12:56 pm
@Sturgis,
I used to drink tons of coffee at all hours, and never had a problem sleeping, at least for that reason. Now I only drink it in the morning or early afternoon, so I haven't tested whether a late night cappuccino would result in insomnia.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2017 10:55 pm
I'm not a hot drink fan. I rarely have coffee and almost never have tea.

When I do have coffee, it'd decaf with lots of milk and sweetener. (I get enough caffeine from Pepsi).

I actually like iced coffee, but I rarely spend money on such luxuries.

TomTomBinks

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2017 11:19 pm
@Roberta,
I drink coffee, three or four cups from early morning until I leave for work. I work from 3pm to 11pm. At work I drink tea. I drink both without cream or sugar.
I used to put sugar in both coffee and tea, and then at some point many years ago I decided I liked tea without sugar. I had to make a conscious effort to stop putting sugar in coffee. It took a while to get used to it, but I like it that way now. I've noticed I can taste the differences in varieties of coffee now.
On special occasions I'll have espresso. Having it without sugar took some of the pleasure out of it. it's a little better with a splash of Sambuca. I guess since I only have espresso once in a while it's OK to put sugar in. I will next time.
I had my first espresso in Rome. I remember watching the old men standing at high tables and gossiping while they stirred their tiny cups and then drank them all in one gulp, steaming hot! I watched them load those little cups with tons of sugar. So I copied them and drank my piping hot super sweet coffee in two gulps. It was amazing!
izzythepush

Reply Wed 29 Mar, 2017 12:40 am
@TomTomBinks,
I never had tea with sugar, had it unsweetened right from the off. I never had to be weened off it, but I cannot touch it if it's been sweetened, or had full fat milk added.
roger

Reply Wed 29 Mar, 2017 12:52 am
@izzythepush,
Same with coffee for me. It just makes it taste different, and I don't just mean it's sweeter.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 29 Mar, 2017 01:00 am
@roger,
It's not the same drink at all. I like a spot of cream in coffee mind, but the very thought of it in tea makes me feel queasy. So even though I don't share your tastes I understand them.
farmerman

Reply Wed 29 Mar, 2017 01:52 am
@izzythepush,
1. I MUST hve sweetener in coffee. I like a mild roast black (nona that STarbucks creosote ****). I dont go to Starbucks or Peets anymore.Because whenever Im there and I order a "light" roast" they pour half a cup of that "Charbuck special blend " then they fill the rest with hot water.
The best light coffee blend is made by an outfit called WaWa (its a dairy tht got into convenience stores with a nice coffee bar)
ANYWAY- i usually put 2 sugrs in my black coffee

2TEA, that's a whole nother story. Smoky teas like LAPSANG SOUCHONG, or PUEHR I use one bag of Splenda. Ya cant drink those teas ithout sweetener and sugar would take like 4 bags to sweeten it. I usually drink a cinnamon/citrus blended tea made by HARNEY $ Sons (Theyre out of upstate NY and are quietly spreading out). All their teas have distinct spice notes and dont need any sweeteners at all. Ive seen people put milk in tea and I can recall my grandmother making m tea when I was sick and she would usually make Lipton and put in about hlf a pint of milk. It gqggwd me. SO, my memories of tea with milk are always related to some fever and I was throwing up a lot. SO, I dont take milk in tea.

PS--Ya have to brew a Harneys cuppa for severl minutes longer to drag out all the spices (like cinnamon bergamot and even chilis)

3. NOW HOT CHOCOLATE, its gotta be Hershey syrup in steaming hot cup of WHOLE MILK (cmon people). Then we add bout 1/4 tsp of chili powder. Spicy hot chocolate. A meal in itelf. PLEASE, no marshmallows, are we savages?
farmerman

Reply Wed 29 Mar, 2017 02:02 am
@ossobucotemp,
I remember being in Trecate working in the oil fields and they would drink their espresso with a thick layer of turbindo sugqr on the bottom of thwir cup. When the guys qere done the barkeep would bitch about ll the wasted sugar that waa till in the bottom of thwir ups. IS THAT TRADITION OF A REGION?
izzythepush

Reply Wed 29 Mar, 2017 04:06 am
@farmerman,
I can't drink LAPSANG SOUCHONG, it's like drinking kippers.

http://www.cleysmokehouse.com/imgprod/kipper1.jpg

Btw, I just cut and pasted to avoid difficult spellings.