I now grind my own coffee

jcboy

Tue 2 Jun, 2020 05:52 pm
I bought one of those Cuisinart coffee bean grinders. I now buy the beans and grind them myself. Best coffee I’ve ever had!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 27 • Views: 2,762 • Replies: 71
Topic Closed

Ragman

Tue 2 Jun, 2020 06:07 pm
@jcboy,
Isn’t it amazing? You can have the exact coffee flavor intensity you want. Makes the day start of just right.

I’ve been doing the same for the last 3 years. I’ll speak about grinders in a second. I’ve enjoyed my Cuisinart coffeemaker, especially when I have company or when I don’t want to fuss around.

Generally though, I use the French Press pot. I take 5 minutes to brew not including the grinding time (same time just set grinder to coarse grind.

(The following you may wasn’t to tune out ‘cause you said you like your grinder and method; Cuisinart does make a great grinder. however, if not:)

As for the grinding, I use a separate grinder (metal conical burr type) from my coffeemaker, which makes the grind very uniform, either fine or coarse. I’ve found over the years most grinders are very inconsistent grinding and make a mess of the whole process...powder and bean boulders. This results in either bitter or weak coffee. There are a few grinders I like...one I own
called Baratza Encore.

The second is the Capresso Infinity also conical burr. Both make damn good French Press using a coarsely grind blend.

Lastly the beans I’ve like best are Pete’s Big Bang , medium roast, They also have their new 2020 Anniversary dark roast that’s heavenly.

Every 3-6 months I change things up and try a new blend but these alive settle in on. I look forward to hearing about your bean choices and anyone else who likes coffee, too
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Tue 2 Jun, 2020 06:36 pm
I drink less coffee these days. So I am content to brew my HEB coffee in a Black and Decker vacuum pot. In the old days I drank 711 coffee that tasted to be seven hours old, my mother's coffee boiled in a big pot and left on the stove all day and even coffee crystals. To me the store coffee is wonderful.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Wed 3 Jun, 2020 01:51 pm
I let my gentleman's servant grind my coffee. Then it is brewed in my beautiful electric percolator.

Actually,I get mine freshly ground at time of purchase, bring home and percolate it.
Ragman

Wed 3 Jun, 2020 02:11 pm
@Sturgis,
Do you have a brand of beans? What type of roast? Dark, medium or light?
Do you get the beans at West Side Market?
Sturgis

Wed 3 Jun, 2020 02:24 pm
@Ragman,
I am currently buying Huila beans. It's a Colombian export which I came along accidentally. It immediately became my favorite. Rumor has it, that it is mountain grown by leprechauns. Okay, that's not true! It does though have a bit of a chocolate taste floating around in it, which may be my what grabbed me.

Medium roast. McNulty's on Christopher is good for most coffee, they can do this as well, although it needs a special request. Otherwise, there are 2 other spots to buy.
Ragman

Wed 3 Jun, 2020 02:36 pm
@Sturgis,
Sounds interesting. I like Dark roast but not burnt and don’t like Starbucks due to their overroasting.

When I stayed n NYC, it around W. Central Park and would tend to get my coffee there (West End Market) though there’s no shortage of good places to get great beans. I just hope coffee bean prices don’t go sailing out of sight, though I fear they will do so pretty soon.
Sturgis

Wed 3 Jun, 2020 02:44 pm
@Ragman,
No idea what the fascination is with Starbucks. I refer to them as Starburnt.

Like you, I figure coffee prices are about to go up.. Way up.

I'll have to adjust my budget accordingly...perhaps.
edgarblythe

Wed 3 Jun, 2020 05:03 pm
The coffee I buy has been $2 off three weeks in a row. I'm stocking up against a possible increase.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Wed 3 Jun, 2020 05:21 pm
@jcboy,
jcboy wrote:

I bought one of those Cuisinart coffee bean grinders. I now buy the beans and grind them myself. Best coffee I’ve ever had!

I hope you bought a burr grinder (and not a blade grinder). A blade grinder is better then pre-ground.

A burr grinder is more expensive... but the taste is much better. Take it from this long time coffee snob (any coffee snob will tell you the same).

Ragman

Wed 3 Jun, 2020 08:17 pm
@maxdancona,
Where did I hear that before?
0 Replies

glitterbag

Wed 3 Jun, 2020 08:26 pm
@Sturgis,
I can't drink Starbucks, it's burnt swill. Plus the price is ridiculous.
roger

Wed 3 Jun, 2020 08:35 pm
@glitterbag,
And, in a paper cup?
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Wed 3 Jun, 2020 09:09 pm
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

You are so right, glitterbag - Starbucks is just awful.
-------------

I have an Italian automatic coffeemaker, it takes whole beans and I press one button and it grinds my coffee to either an espresso, regular coffee or I can make a cappuccino. I buy imported coffee either at Amazon or World Market - the roasting process is different in Europe than US and easier to digest.
Here is my choice https://www.worldmarket.com/search.do?query=dallmayr
farmerman

Thu 4 Jun, 2020 05:24 am
@CalamityJane,
interesting. Do you know what their roasting process includes?

Its always been called "Charbucks" Their coffee is made jut to mix with all that sugar powder and creme mixes and added candy syrups. If I want a milk hake, Ill order a milk hake.
I like my coffee blck with a half bag ofSplenda.

We use a filter mechanism, we used to use a French press but lik the filtered stuff better.
Melita filters have also got a second use as approved by the CDC, they make an excellent additional filter in a homemade covid mask.
jespah

Thu 4 Jun, 2020 06:22 am
@jcboy,
Okay, I thought the thread title was a euphemism for, erm, something or other. Embarrassed
0 Replies

jcboy

Thu 4 Jun, 2020 09:35 am
@CalamityJane,
CalamityJane wrote:

glitterbag wrote:

You are so right, glitterbag - Starbucks is just awful.
-------------

Starbucks is horrible, can't understand why they are so popular!
Ragman

Thu 4 Jun, 2020 12:58 pm
@jcboy,
Mass hypnosis. See what marketing can do? Put a romantic spin with Frenchor Italian names attached and some Americans will buy dreck in droves.
Ragman

Thu 4 Jun, 2020 01:20 pm
@Ragman,
... and of course, as popular as Dunkin Donuts coffee is, anything with decent flavor/flavor is better - Even burnt tasting Starbust
0 Replies

maxdancona

Thu 4 Jun, 2020 02:03 pm
People like Starbucks because it is strong.

At Dunkin' Donuts, you are drinking coffee-flavored water.

Around here there are some very good independent coffee shops, but when I need a fix... Starbucks is better than nothing.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » I now grind my own coffee
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 03:44:36