Impeachment: The Process Begins

oralloy

Reply Sun 6 Oct, 2019 04:38 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
Who was the last president to be impeached?

Bill Clinton.
maxdancona

Reply Sun 6 Oct, 2019 05:01 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

maxdancona wrote:
Who was the last president to be impeached?

Bill Clinton.

Very good.... and was every president since Bill Clinton impeached in some mad partisan temper tantrum?

If I understand you correctly... you are claiming that when Trump is impeached, petulant Republicans will reciprocate with the next Democratic president.

I predict the American public will increasingly support the Trump impeachment... and that when it happens Americans will widely be behind it (by well over 50%). This doesn't happen very often.

What Trump has done goes way beyond the line of what is normal, acceptable behavior from a president.

oralloy

Reply Sun 6 Oct, 2019 05:21 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
Very good.... and was every president since Bill Clinton impeached in some mad partisan temper tantrum?

Your characterizations "mad" and "temper tantrum" are inaccurate.

Democrats conduct witch hunts against Republicans as a way to destroy people who do not agree with the Democrats.

Nearly every Republican president since 1970 (and yes, every Republican president after Bill Clinton) has been the subject of one of these leftist witch hunts.

Republicans conduct witch hunts against Democrats as revenge for the witch hunts that the Democrats wage.

The witch hunt against Bill Clinton was revenge for the witch hunts waged against Nixon and Reagan.

The Republicans should have waged a witch hunt against Obama since the witch hunt against W showed that the Democrats didn't learn their lesson, but the Republicans dropped the ball.

The Republicans shouldn't make the same mistake twice. America needs to start impeaching Democratic presidents, and keep impeaching them over and over again until the Democrats stop waging witch hunts against people who disagree with them.

maxdancona wrote:
If I understand you correctly... you are claiming that when Trump is impeached, petulant Republicans will reciprocate with the next Democratic president.

I'm saying the next Democratic president should be impeached even if Trump is not impeached.

maxdancona wrote:
What Trump has done goes way beyond the line of what is normal, acceptable behavior from a president.

That is incorrect. Trump has not done anything wrong at all.
georgeob1

Reply Sun 6 Oct, 2019 05:35 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

That is and has been the frequently repeated mantra of Democrats since his inauguration. However repeated long term efforts to establish facts supporting this continuing fixed idea have all failed. The current furor over the conversation with the President of Ukraine is without legal merit in that our President has the sole responsibility to conduct our foreign relations and to ferret out corruption affecting them. He was arguably acting on that principle, and since no campaign contribution was involved the elections act doesn't apply. ( I recognize that you have predicted that Trump will indeed be impeached and convicted of that crime. However most informed, knowledgeable people including Nancy Pelosi think you are wrong.)

Please explain how Trump has "gone way beyond the line of what is normal, acceptable behavior from a president". It appears to me that the shoe is on the other foot in that the Democrats in Congress,in their uninterrupted and frenetic efforts to unseat Trump, have neglected nearly all of the duties for which they were elected for the past three years. That has not gone unnoticed by the public, and we will see the results in the next election.
maxdancona

Reply Sun 6 Oct, 2019 05:37 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
Nearly every Republican president since 1970 (and yes, every Republican president after Bill Clinton) has been the subject of one of these leftist witch hunts.

Republicans conduct witch hunts against Democrats as revenge for the witch hunts that the Democrats wage.

Can you please list the presidents who have been impeached since Bill Clinton?

Maybe I missed something.... One of us doesn't know what you are talking about.
maxdancona

Reply Sun 6 Oct, 2019 05:46 pm
@georgeob1,
My friend is studying for her citizenship exam. Yes, for an immigrant to become a US citizen, they have to learn a fair about how the US Constitutional government works (something that natural born citizens know surprisingly little about). This includes understanding what "checks and balances" means. Maybe you should be taking this class George. I linked to the US Constitution above. The power of Congress to investigate the president is part of their Constitutional duty.

I believe that he will almost certainly be impeached. I also believe that the clear majority of Americans will agree with him being impeached (minus the 40% of partisan true believers).

I think conviction is 50/50. If a couple of key Republicans decide that they can't take it anymore and stop defending Trump, you will see the end come quickly. Once a couple of conservative Republicans flip publicly it will become easy for more to follow. This is what happened in the Nixon case, we will see what happens here.

I think the Republicans are screwed politically. This will happen quickly... by Thanksgiving we will see how right I am.
oralloy

Reply Sun 6 Oct, 2019 05:50 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
Maybe I missed something.... One of us doesn't know what you are talking about.

You're missing the fact that Democratic witch hunts are unacceptable even when they fail in their goal of producing an impeachment.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 6 Oct, 2019 05:54 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
I think the Republicans are screwed politically.

Keep in mind that Republicans always take revenge.

Remember how the unjustified blocking of W's nominees in 2007-08 led to Merrick Garland/Neil Gorsuch?
maxdancona

Reply Sun 6 Oct, 2019 06:03 pm
@oralloy,
Sure. All's fair in love and war.

The president is accountable to the Congress. The Congress is accountable to the voters.

The main battle is for the minds of American voters. If 60% of voters think that Trump should be impeached, then the Republicans will be screwed. Of course if 60% of voters think the Democrats are wrong... then the Democrats are screwed, but it doesn't look like things are trending that way.

Forty percent of voters would defend Trump even if he shot Melania on 5th Avenue. Right now more people favor impeachment of Trump then oppose it (48% to 46%). The support for impeachment is far higher for Trump than it was for Nixon or Clinton at this stage in the process.

oralloy

Reply Mon 7 Oct, 2019 07:14 am
@maxdancona,
I don't agree that all is fair in love and war. I have a deep sense of ethics and morality, and Democratic malfeasance offends it greatly.

I see Republican malfeasance as fair and just, because Republicans are merely taking revenge for what Democrats did to them first. If Democrats would not constantly start trouble, there wouldn't be trouble.
maxdancona

Reply Mon 7 Oct, 2019 07:26 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

I don't agree that all is fair in love and war. I have a deep sense of ethics and morality, and Democratic malfeasance offends it greatly.

I see Republican malfeasance as fair and just, because Republicans are merely taking revenge for what Democrats did to them first. If Democrats would not constantly start trouble, there wouldn't be trouble.

Unintentional humor is the best kind of funny. This is hilarious.

"I have a deep sense of ethics and morality... I see Republican malfeasance as fair and just."

That pretty much explains the Trump presidency.
0 Replies

neptuneblue

Reply Mon 7 Oct, 2019 07:27 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
I have a deep sense of ethics and morality

What a ******* crock. You support a man who has cheated countless businesses, lied whenever and wherever he could, cheated on his wife, stoked fear and inequality, doesn't play fair politics,and countless un-ethical and immoral acts.

You're the worst kind of supporter. You know he's a piece of **** -- and you don't care.

At least own your ****.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Tue 8 Oct, 2019 11:34 am
@oralloy,
If the repubs do that it will be a huge bone of contention in the 2020 election. The tide is running against trump already and the public doesnt believe him. That will turn the tide into an anti trump tsunami.
MontereyJack

Reply Tue 8 Oct, 2019 11:40 am
@oralloy,
Ahistorical nonsense.
oralloy

Reply Tue 8 Oct, 2019 12:18 pm
@MontereyJack,
That is incorrect. History accurately records that the Democrats lynched Nixon.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 8 Oct, 2019 12:26 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

That is incorrect. History accurately records that the Democrats lynched Nixon.

That's odd. Wikipedia claims Nixon died of a stroke in 1994 at age 81.

oralloy

Reply Tue 8 Oct, 2019 12:29 pm
@maxdancona,
So? We all eventually die from something.
oralloy

Reply Tue 8 Oct, 2019 12:30 pm
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
oralloy wrote:
My understanding is that Senate Republicans do not intend to just ignore an impeachment. Instead they are planning to have a quick vote of acquittal without any speeches if the House impeaches (perhaps even on the same day as the impeachment).

That way the matter will be over and done with, and the Democrats will not be able to grandstand on a demand that the impeachment be addressed.

Trump can then use the acquittal (and the way the Republicans treated the impeachment so dismissively) to claim that he was vindicated and there was nothing to the charges to begin with.

If the repubs do that it will be a huge bone of contention in the 2020 election.

Yes, but not in the way that you think.

If House Democrats are foolish enough to impeach, Trump will campaign vigorously on his acquittal and on the dismissive way that the Senate treated the charges. We'll see rally after rally to fire up the voters all the way to election day.

MontereyJack wrote:
The tide is running against trump already and the public doesnt believe him. That will turn the tide into an anti trump tsunami.

There is little chance of that happening.

We voters don't agree with progressives abusing the law to conduct witch hunts against people who don't share their demented ideology, and we like that Trump is starting to give the left a dose of their own medicine.
neptuneblue

Reply Tue 8 Oct, 2019 01:43 pm
@oralloy,
Trump will be impeached for Obstructing Congress and other High Crimes and Misdemeanors.
MontereyJack

Reply Tue 8 Oct, 2019 01:44 pm
@oralloy,
We voters disagree withbyou voters and we outnumber you as we did in 3016 and 18. Trump has made no v
Converts and his approval is still at 40 percent and below. Thers a pretty good chance his economy will be tanking by nov. People generally realize he always lies and his admin is thoroughly corrjupt just like himand thatbhes a blowhard trying to cover his corruption by calling witch hunt. The majyears364days too long ooroty just dont buy yout arguments. 4 years is 3 years 364days too long. His losses in head to head matvhups are harbingers of 2020 loss.