McTag

Reply Mon 21 May, 2007 02:42 am
Hello sailor folks-

Cutty Sark on fire (during restoration)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/6675381.stm
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 21 May, 2007 04:47 am
we can rebuild her, we have the technology. The Sark was an electrolytic mess to begin with, and the use of woods like Rock Elm is always a problem if youre gonna dry dock a boat. Rock Elm just rots unless its kept wet.

I hope that the cast stringers and side braces are good enough to refabricate out of a decent steel rather than that early cross between iron and steel.

We lost the "Pride of BAltimore" about 20 years ago and we rebuilt her and shes a nice ambassador .

I wonder if her keel was made of any exotic wood like Hornbeam or Osage Orange?
0 Replies

Sally Rover

Reply Sun 18 Nov, 2007 02:01 am
Wynand de Veenboer alias Sulayman Reis
Thank you very much for your short article on Dutch corsairs - would you mind telling me where you've come across Sulayman Reis de Veenboer's first name "Wynand"?
Cheers & keep up the good work,
SR's descendant (according to family lore he came from Andijk in West-Friesland)
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 18 Nov, 2007 02:39 am
He's from Horn in the West-Friesland region, province Noord-Holland.

Most is stil in the dark about De Veenboer of Soliman-reys.
"Wynant de Keyser van Bollandt" wrote some letters in Algiers, where he referred to De Veenboer - as far as I know.

De Veenboer (in English)

De Veenboer (Dutch wikipedia)
0 Replies

Paaskynen

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2007 07:28 am
I found the name on a dutch language site (can't remember the name. I read up on the subject on a number of sites in Dutch and English).

Not about pirates, but very interesting from a marine archeology point of view:
Intact 17th century ship wreck found in the Baltic

Or if that link won't work go to this page and see the video link to the right.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2007 06:30 pm
I thought it was interesting, Paasky, and i think it fits in well with this thread, which has become more or less an anything about sailing vessels thread.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2007 01:32 am
Paaskynen wrote:
I found the name on a dutch language site (can't remember the name. I read up on the subject on a number of sites in Dutch and English).

The (Dutch) wiji-quote above names some sources.
0 Replies

Sally Rover

Reply Thu 22 Nov, 2007 09:00 am
Dear Walter & Paaskynen,
Danke schoen/Thank you very much for your reply - I mentioned some more sources in my notes sent to Cornelis (http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overleg_gebruiker:Cornelis#Bronnenmateriaal_Sulayman_Reis) that may interest you. I do not recall coming across the first name Wynand anywhere, except in connection with the Dutch Consul who refused to pardon my ancestor.
Best wishes,
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 22 Nov, 2007 09:30 am
Sally Rover wrote:
I do not recall coming across the first name Wynand anywhere, except in connection with the Dutch Consul who refused to pardon my ancestor.
Best wishes,

I've been in Hoorn and looked at the originals/copies in the museum there :wink:
0 Replies

Paaskynen

Reply Fri 23 Nov, 2007 01:55 am
Sally Rover wrote:
Dear Walter & Paaskynen,
Danke schoen/Thank you very much for your reply - I mentioned some more sources in my notes sent to Cornelis (http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overleg_gebruiker:Cornelis#Bronnenmateriaal_Sulayman_Reis) that may interest you. I do not recall coming across the first name Wynand anywhere, except in connection with the Dutch Consul who refused to pardon my ancestor.
Best wishes,

Hello Sally,

I think I have retrieved the source of what now obviously appears as a misinterpretation. In one Dutch source about Murat Reis this phrase appears:
Sinjeur Wynand (zie De Veenboer)
which I interpreted as Mr Wynand = De Veenboer, but what it really meant was that Mr Wynand was mentioned on the page about De Veenboer.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2007 03:58 am
Sailorfolks may be interested, my wife and I will be rejoining a Norwegian square-rigger to sail from Oslo to Rouen next summer.

Which reminds me, I haven't booked it yet. Must do so soon.
0 Replies

Sally Rover

Reply Thu 29 Nov, 2007 08:29 am
De Veenboer's first name
That would explain it! Thanks a lot for digging up the reference. The historian who wrote and compiled the Isle of Tortuga website (Mark Bruyneel) mailed me a long time ago that De Veenboer worked with a cousin of his, a certain Dirk from Haarlem.

In our family lore, the name "Aye van Dirkie" keeps cropping up and strangely enough Dutch Wikipedia mentions a novelist who won a literary prize under the pseudonym of Veenboer with a novel entitled thus. He was a member of the NSB party, so I'm glad it was just a pen name!

Do check out the French/Algerian site mentioned, beautifully illustrated too. Dutch "zie" refers to Cf., of course. The Dutch site by De Kistemaker (History of Andijk) is also worth perusing, I'll translate the Dutch reference into English for you, if necessary. The most conspicuous hiatus in the whole canon is Wassenaer's volume that contains the story of Sulayman Reys De Veenboer's demise, the only extant copy of which is in the NYC Library. De Veenboer is also mentioned in the biography about Compaen.

So thanks again for taking all this trouble and do keep in touch. You can also reach me through www.myspace.com/masfrank - Sally Rover is merely the anglicized version used in sea shanties about the corsairs (Sea-Rovers) from Sale. Jan Janszoon van Salee's family history is also fascinating, it leads to the Vanderbilts and Jackie Kennedy who glumly denied that her father Black Jack Bouvier was a descendant of the Mulatto giant who settled in New York, where he became known as "The Terrible Turk". Humphrey Bogart was another one. Cheers for now and keep up the historical sleuthwork.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 29 Nov, 2007 01:54 pm
good post Sally

anyone who uses the word extant properly has my respect Smile
0 Replies

Sally Rover

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2007 10:08 am
Extant is here to stay!
Thanks for the compliment all the way from London ... hope it'll keep fellow sailors from mixing it up with sextant. I'm the kind of guy who gets free seats on planes either because the stewardess thinks I'm Christopher Walken or whenever I impress fellow passengers with the etymology of the word "panic" (the great Greek Pan used to scare people for fun).
Cheers for now and tell me about Land Ahoy in between these frightful tropical showers. :wink:
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 04:07 am
Hello sailors.

http://www.havhingsten.dk/index.php?id=277&L=1&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=1185&tx_ttnews[backPid]=923&cHash=29f321eba0

Viking longship replica from Denmark to Dublin.
There was a long programme about this on BBC TV last night.
Marvellous.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 11:26 am
I saw an excellent program last night on "Black Sam" Bellamy. Maybe i should take the time to dig up a biography of him for this thread. The program was interesting because Bellamy and crew took a slaver, Widow, which was larger than his ship, so he made Widow his "flagship." Having just unloaded a cargo of almost 500 slaves, Widow was packed with gold and silver, estimates run from 50,000 to 70,000 pounds sterling. More interesting is testimony by one of the crew members to the effect that there was in the hold of Widow, "50 pounds [of weight] of gold for every man, and there were 180 men on the deck." That means 4 1/2 tons of gold and silver. A modern "treasure hunter" went looking for Widow, and by damn, he found it!
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2008 06:24 pm
Hey auxiliary kite-powered ship leaves Bremerhaven for Venezuela.

http://news.independent.co.uk/europe/article3362289.ece
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2008 06:44 pm
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/graphics/2008/01/20/eakite120big.jpg

i read in the german news that the BELUGA will stop over in boston on the way to central-america .
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 23 Jan, 2008 01:20 am
McTag wrote:
Hey auxiliary kite-powered ship leaves Bremerhaven for Venezuela.

I'd started a thread about that that some time ago ...
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 23 Jan, 2008 02:52 am
"Ships that pass in the night", obviously. I hadn't seen that.

Good for you, Walter.

There was film of this on our morning TV news and the sail seems surprisingly small compared to the size of the ship.

Early days of an experimental system, of course.
0 Replies