China-Iran Connection

Reply Sun 8 Sep, 2019 12:25 pm
https://www.truthdig.com/articles/netanyahus-miscalculations-about-iran-and-china-will-cost-him/
Netanyahu's Miscalculations About Iran Will Cost Him Dearly
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 9,077 • Replies: 92

oralloy

Reply Sun 8 Sep, 2019 04:17 pm
If Israel decides to bomb Iran's illegal nuclear sites, neither Iran nor China will be able to stop them.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 9 Sep, 2019 08:06 am
@edgarblythe,
Bibil thinks Donnie Two Scoops offers him cover to what he pleases. This cover is on a shortening rope. Iran will have the bomb in a near future, thanks to Trump's shortsightedness, I can't imagine why Bibi is OK with it. Israel should be seeking communication with Iran and not saber rattling.
oralloy

Reply Mon 9 Sep, 2019 06:29 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
If Trump doesn't bomb Iran's illegal weapons sites, I'm sure Israel will do so.
vikorr

Reply Mon 9 Sep, 2019 11:58 pm
@oralloy,
Rofl. Gotta love your use of the word Illegal. Each nation retains it's own sovereignty, and makes it's own laws, and they are quite legal.

What you mean is 'we don't agree with it'. But of course if you are appealing to the UN, then that's rather hypocritical coming from the US that launched an illegal invasion on Iraq (according to the UN).

Maybe the US should make it's own weapons piles illegal and get rid of them.
oralloy

Reply Tue 10 Sep, 2019 12:06 am
@vikorr,
Iran signed the Non Proliferation Treaty.

Their nuclear weapons program is 100% illegal.
glitterbag

Reply Tue 10 Sep, 2019 12:19 am
@oralloy,
Has anybody told you that Glorious Leader was the one to withdraw from the treaty? I bet they did, and you think it's fake news. Sad.
oralloy

Reply Tue 10 Sep, 2019 12:33 am
@glitterbag,
People are only allowed to withdraw from the NPT for a very good reason. Who are you claiming has withdrawn from the NPT?
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Tue 10 Sep, 2019 12:56 pm
In the article, Juan Cole wrote:

Netanyahu may have been hoping that Trump would strike Iran for him, but that clearly is not going to happen– Trump’s reading of his base is that they are tired of seeing American blood and treasure squandered in the Middle East. Indeed, Trump may eventually actually hold talks with Iran, an eventuality that clearly scares Netanyahu half to death.

It seems that Trump, despite the fact that he wants to withdraw the US from conflicts around the world, is loyal to his Zionist base, and is making an exception in his withdrawal policy in regard to Israel.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 10 Sep, 2019 10:04 pm
China will win the trade war and wean off American technology in 7 years, strategist says

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/09/10/china-will-win-trade-war-reduce-reliance-on-us-tech-strategist.html
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Wed 11 Sep, 2019 01:16 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
Iran signed the Non Proliferation Treaty.

Their nuclear weapons program is 100% illegal.
You mean that they are breaking a treaty? Wow, like no country has ever gone back on a treaty before. Every country retains the sovereign right to engage in it's own domestic affairs, and that includes breaking a treaty. It is not illegal to do so.

There are of course, usually consequences for breaking a treaty, but that doesn't make it illegal. Americas own breaches of NPT's is perfect example:

https://history.state.gov/milestones/1961-1968/npt

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historical_nuclear_weapons_stockpiles_and_nuclear_tests_by_country

oralloy

Reply Wed 11 Sep, 2019 04:25 am
@vikorr,
vikorr wrote:
Every country retains the sovereign right to engage in it's own domestic affairs, and that includes breaking a treaty. It is not illegal to do so.

That is incorrect. Countries are only allowed to withdraw from the NPT for a very good reason.

"I'm a rogue nation and I want weapons of mass destruction" does not count as a good reason.

vikorr wrote:
Americas own breaches of NPT

No such breaches.
vikorr

Reply Wed 11 Sep, 2019 02:56 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
That is incorrect. Countries are only allowed to withdraw from the NPT for a very good reason.

"I'm a rogue nation and I want weapons of mass destruction" does not count as a good reason.
Ah, so the US is a rogue nation, with it's nuclear weapons, and it's breaking of it's NPT agreements. And you, you can't say no breach, they signed an agreement in 1968 then increased their arsenal between 1970-1975.
oralloy

Reply Wed 11 Sep, 2019 03:04 pm
@vikorr,
I can very easily say there was no such breach. The NPT does not prevent us from increasing the size of our arsenal as necessary. It only requires us to draw down our arsenal when possible.

And we have done just that.
vikorr

Reply Thu 12 Sep, 2019 02:21 am
@oralloy,
So you can increase your arsenal when such is required to defend your country?

Edit: I checked the wording of that treaty - there was no breach, though signing a 'non proliferation treaty' then proliferating your nuclear arms is bizarre in the extreme to be acceptable.
oralloy

Reply Thu 12 Sep, 2019 02:40 am
@vikorr,
How are we proliferating?

We reached arms limitation treaties with the USSR during the Cold War.

And we drew down our stockpiles extensively as soon as the Cold War ended.
vikorr

Reply Thu 12 Sep, 2019 04:28 pm
@oralloy,
To clarify:

Edit: I checked the wording of that treaty - there was no breach, though signing a 'non proliferation treaty' in 1968 then proliferating your nuclear arms between 1970-1975 is bizarre in the extreme to be acceptable.
oralloy

Reply Thu 12 Sep, 2019 06:46 pm
@vikorr,
"Non proliferation" in this context means "not spreading nuclear weapons to new states that did not previously possess them."
vikorr

Reply Thu 12 Sep, 2019 08:17 pm
@oralloy,
That treaty also mentioned drawing down their own stockpiles - though it did place plenty of emphasis on no one else getting a hold of them.
oralloy

Reply Thu 12 Sep, 2019 08:22 pm
@vikorr,
We've drawn down our stockpiles.