Obama - an early on assessment of his place in history

Reply Sun 1 Sep, 2019 09:54 am
https://www.truthdig.com/articles/american-history-for-truthdiggers-the-obama-disappointment/

The author:
Danny Sjursen, a regular contributor to Truthdig, is a retired U.S. Army officer and former history instructor at West Point. He served tours with reconnaissance units in Iraq and Afghanistan. He has written a memoir and critical analysis of the Iraq War, “Ghost Riders of Baghdad: Soldiers, Civilians, and the Myth of the Surge.” He lives in Lawrence, Kan. Follow him on Twitter at @SkepticalVet and check out his podcast, “Fortress on a Hill,” co-hosted with fellow vet Chris “Henri” Henrikson.

RABEL222

Reply Sun 1 Sep, 2019 12:27 pm
@edgarblythe,
What a crock. 2 years after he leaves office. More b s?
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 1 Sep, 2019 01:06 pm
@RABEL222,
I don't give a **** what you think. I don't believe you even read it all.
RABEL222

Reply Sun 1 Sep, 2019 03:31 pm
@edgarblythe,
Your right i haven't read it. And my point which you ignored is that it is rediculously early to be worrying about the history of a president of only 2 and a half years out of office. More of your bull shyt posts.
Jewels Vern

Reply Sun 1 Sep, 2019 03:54 pm
The first time I ever heard the name, he was being introduced as our next president. I have always felt that assumption was very very fishy, and even more so when he couldn't prove he was born in the USA as required by the constitution.
vikorr

Reply Sun 1 Sep, 2019 04:18 pm
@RABEL222,
The title says it all an early assessment - it claims nothing else.

Quote:
Your right i haven't read it. And my point which you ignored is that it is rediculously early to be worrying about the history of a president of only 2 and a half years out of office
No, you didn't make this point. You gave a vague, inarticulate What a crock. 2 years after he leaves office. More b s? . That could have mean:
- there's not enough information
- the article got it all wrong
- Edgar shouldn't be posting so earl, etc
- ie. there were several possible 'points'

But your now claimed meaning...that it is rediculously early to be worrying about the history of a president of only 2 and a half years out of office

Why is it too early to worry about such?
Why call it worry at all, rather than write about such?

It seems very unreasonable for you to be so aggressive.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 1 Sep, 2019 05:03 pm
I refuse to be dragged into fights with this person, on this or any other threads.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sun 1 Sep, 2019 09:52 pm
@Jewels Vern,
Jewels Vern wrote:

The first time I ever heard the name, he was being introduced as our next president. I have always felt that assumption was very very fishy, and even more so when he couldn't prove he was born in the USA as required by the constitution.

Don't be ridiculous, Hawaii is a State in the USA....where the **** do you think he should have been born? Kansas??? How does anyone here know if you were born in the US. Do you have any idea where John McCain was born?
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 1 Sep, 2019 10:02 pm
@glitterbag,
Some posts are so unwise I just don't respond. I know reasonable readers can figure it out without my help.
glitterbag

Reply Sun 1 Sep, 2019 10:14 pm
@edgarblythe,
It's been a terrible week, Edgar, it's difficult suffering fools.
chai2

Reply Sun 1 Sep, 2019 10:38 pm
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

it's difficult suffering fools.

Amen
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Mon 2 Sep, 2019 03:46 am
@edgarblythe,
I think the article is a fair assessment of his presidency. I would quibble with the word "disappointment", however. There was never any reason to believe that he — or anyone else — could have overcome the systemic failures of the USAmerican government or that any other political leader in any other modern technocratic democracy could accomplish anything similar. There's no guarantee that any of this will work, folks. There's no key we can turn which opens the door to a world where eight billion people live together in peace and harmony, enjoying the benefits of social democracy. The challenges are unprecedented, opposing sides are equally contentious, and nothing ever works out as planned. To quote Emerson, "Things are in the saddle and ride mankind."
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 2 Sep, 2019 05:39 am
@hightor,
I personally have applied that term to every president of my lifetime. But I get your meaning. I think the biggest negative about using it, it causes some of his ardent supporters to reject the piece unread.
hightor

Reply Mon 2 Sep, 2019 05:45 am
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
I think the biggest negative about using it, it causes some of his ardent supporters to reject the piece unread.

Absolutely. Strongly supporting the man doesn't necessarily mean blindly supporting the politician.
0 Replies

Jewels Vern

Reply Mon 2 Sep, 2019 08:48 am
@glitterbag,
You are working awfully hard to start an argument about something that does not need to be argued about. The dispute about proof of citizenship was a helluva big deal right up until Sheriff Joe vowed that Obama would not be reelected without showing his birth certificate. What Obama showed was not totally acceptable, but Sheriff Joe let it pass because it would have been possible to drag the court case out for a very long time. This is not up for discussion. It is history, not opinion.
vikorr

Reply Mon 2 Sep, 2019 03:17 pm
@Jewels Vern,
I heard about this from over in Australia. But I never quite heard why anyone suspected Obama of being born anywhere other than the U.S.
glitterbag

Reply Mon 2 Sep, 2019 09:22 pm
@Jewels Vern,
Sheriff Joe?????? What TF, what does he have to do with anything. It's also historically correct that President Obama is the only person who actually submitted his entire long form birth certificate. Do you know how difficult that is, the Individual States never release the long form because the regular certified birth certificate meets all the requirements. You don't need the long form to get a passport, I don't have mine, and I've had to undergo security clearance updates for my entire career....and because my husband is still working I still am subject to scrutiny. And it wasn't good enough for Joe????? Who cares.

I'm not interested in an argument with you, it's pointless, I'm just sick to death listening to people who pass along utter nonsense because they have never really looked into it. Every once in a while, someone like you passes along some fairy tale about Joe Arpaio and his 'patriotic nature' and my head explodes. You need to do a little more research and avoid just putting all your chips on one opinion. That type of lazy research is not useful to the security of this country.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Mon 2 Sep, 2019 09:29 pm
@vikorr,
He has a different name, it drove the racists completely out of their minds. He was born in Hawaii, to an American mother from Kansas, his grandfather was a WWII combat veteran...........................but, but, but the opportunists thought they could drive a wedge ........ and it wasn't true he was from a foreign country but maybe, just maybe enough stupid people would believe it. Plus they could feel better about themselves rejecting a man because he was not an American (even though he is) and hopefully avoid the real reason, they hated the idea of a man of color in the White House. We can bluster all we want, but that's the truth and deep down even the Obama haters know it's true.
longly

Reply Mon 2 Sep, 2019 10:34 pm
@hightor,
"I think the article is a fair assessment of his presidency. I would quibble with the word "disappointment", however. There was never any reason to believe that he — or anyone else — could have overcome the systemic failures of the USAmerican government or that any other political leader in any other modern technocratic democracy could accomplish anything similar. There's no guarantee that any of this will work, folks. There's no key we can turn which opens the door to a world where eight billion people live together in peace and harmony, enjoying the benefits of social democracy. The challenges are unprecedented, opposing sides are equally contentious, and nothing ever works out as planned. To quote Emerson, "Things are in the saddle and ride mankind." "

If nothing else I like you attitude. As I see it nothing is off limits to an open mind.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 3 Sep, 2019 03:37 am
@glitterbag,
I remember a few Republicans taking issue with him being black because they 'couldn't see' colour.

The reason they disliked him had nothing to do with his Kenyan father.

The worst thing about it was I think they believed that **** themselves.
0 Replies