Would only an evil god blame his own creations for the taint therein -- of his poor craftsmanship?

Glennn

Reply Sat 19 Oct, 2019 07:21 pm
@livinglava,
Quote:
Christianity recognizes the impossibility of attaining perfection.

Then it would be illogical to imagine a god who would punish humans for not attaining the unattainable.
livinglava

Reply Sat 19 Oct, 2019 07:37 pm
@Glennn,
Glennn wrote:

Quote:
Christianity recognizes the impossibility of attaining perfection.

Then it would be illogical to imagine a god who would punish humans for not attaining the unattainable.

It's not a punishment but rather a natural consequence. Think of this way: if you kill your friend, you lose your friend. God doesn't punish you for killing your friend by taking your friend away from you. It's just built into the nature of the universe that if you destroy something, it gets destroyed.

What Christianity does is provide a path to ascend away from sin by allowing people to acknowledge/confess and repent for sin without dying of shame at the sight of their hideous true selves.

In other words, we don't have to carry the burden of our own sins because of forgiveness through Christ. As such, we need not feel ashamed to confess and repent them to God. In short, Christ frees us from the ego-trip of shame and pride of self, so that we can humble ourselves, acknowledge sin, and devote ourselves to the task of reform (as opposed to always rejecting reform out of pride).
Glennn

Reply Sat 19 Oct, 2019 08:09 pm
@livinglava,
Quote:
What Christianity does is provide a path to ascend away from sin by allowing people to acknowledge/confess and repent for sin without dying of shame at the sight of their hideous true selves.

But I am a good person, and I have provided my own path away from what I recognize as harmful activity. I don't feel shame for what I have done in the past; nor do I think of my true self as hideous. What I'm saying is that I'm fine.
livinglava

Reply Sun 20 Oct, 2019 06:41 am
@Glennn,
Glennn wrote:

Quote:

But I am a good person, and I have provided my own path away from what I recognize as harmful activity. I don't feel shame for what I have done in the past; nor do I think of my true self as hideous. What I'm saying is that I'm fine.

If you don't see all the problems of the world, you're not looking very carefully.

Do you pay any attention to the news? Or politics?
Glennn

Reply Sun 20 Oct, 2019 08:33 am
@livinglava,
How does my effort to live a good life mean that I don't see all the problems of the world?
livinglava

Reply Sun 20 Oct, 2019 09:02 am
@Glennn,
Glennn wrote:

How does my effort to live a good life mean that I don't see all the problems of the world?

Because you said that you don't feel shame for things you've done in the past.

Are you aware that your way of life is built on a foundation laid by past generations?

Are you aware that we are complicit in the sins of our ancestors the same way we are complicit in the sins of criminals when we help them in exchange for money?

This quote is from Martin Luther King Jr.:
Quote:

“Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere. We are caught in an inescapable network of mutuality, tied in a single garment of destiny. Whatever affects one directly, affects all indirectly.”

When you try to change people for the better and you can't. it's not your fault; but when you don't even bother to formulate a vision for making the world good, then you are just living off the spoils of war without seeking and pursuing a better way.
Glennn

Reply Sun 20 Oct, 2019 10:40 am
@livinglava,
Quote:
Because you said that you don't feel shame for things you've done in the past.

I don't feel shame for what I've done in the past because I understand why I did what I did, and I've corrected my behavior. I understand that my motivations were driven my selfish values. You seem to not understand the futility of hanging on to guilt over the past.
Quote:
Are you aware that your way of life is built on a foundation laid by past generations?

If you're talking about culture, then yes, I am aware of that. I am also aware of the immorality that can exist in cultures. My morality and integrity are not held captive by culture.
Quote:
Are you aware that we are complicit in the sins of our ancestors the same way we are complicit in the sins of criminals when we help them in exchange for money?

I am not complicit in the wrongdoing of anyone but myself.
Quote:
When you try to change people for the better and you can't. it's not your fault; but when you don't even bother to formulate a vision for making the world good, then you are just living off the spoils of war without seeking and pursuing a better way.

But I do have a vision for making the world good. State your truth when asked. But more importantly, live your truth, thereby teaching by example.
Quote:
"Whatever affects one directly, affects all indirectly.”

Be kind and honest. Affect everyone that way. Above all, don't try to convince everyone that they are guilty by association and therefore in need of forgiveness from an outside agent.
livinglava

Reply Sun 20 Oct, 2019 11:50 am
@Glennn,
Glennn wrote:

I don't feel shame for what I've done in the past because I understand why I did what I did, and I've corrected my behavior. I understand that my motivations were driven my selfish values. You seem to not understand the futility of hanging on to guilt over the past.

Of course I do. That a centerpoint of Christianity. There is no point in atoning for sin when you can just accept forgiveness/salvation and submit to Holy Spirit in moving forward.

You seem to implicitly understand Christian principles without understanding they are Christian. I think this is common in modern day culture which is predicated on Christian history, yet rejects Christianity in the present for some reason.

Quote:

If you're talking about culture, then yes, I am aware of that. I am also aware of the immorality that can exist in cultures. My morality and integrity are not held captive by culture.

Hopefully you also realize it is everyone's task to make the world better for future generations, but we are obstructed from doing so for various reasons and so we fail to achieve what we should.

Quote:
I am not complicit in the wrongdoing of anyone but myself.

So if I steal your neighbor's jewelry and then spend the money at your business, you aren't profiting from your neighbor's loss?

Quote:

But I do have a vision for making the world good. State your truth when asked. But more importantly, live your truth, thereby teaching by example.

So basically you honor Christian philosophy, except you believe that everyone has a separate truth and you want to reject Christ for some reason?

Quote:
Be kind and honest. Affect everyone that way. Above all, don't try to convince everyone that they are guilty by association and therefore in need of forgiveness from an outside agent.

I have talked to many people who are Christian and many others who disdain and otherwise reject Christianity. I myself was one of the people who disdained and rejected Christianity because I saw Christians as pushy and overbearing, and frankly I found religion lame. Later I realized that all my negative feelings toward Christianity and Christians was based on pride and ignorance, and that I should honor them instead of rejecting them because they are the foundation of so much wisdom we are blessed to discover.

For this reason, I implore you to let go of your negativity against Christ and Christians. I'm not asserting that Christians are sinners with all sorts of faults, historically as well as in the present; just that you should be kind and honest by acknowledging that Christianity has a good foundation and that many of the good values you claim to enjoy came to you through generations of Christian perseverance and sacrifice.
Glennn

Reply Sun 20 Oct, 2019 02:06 pm
@livinglava,
Quote:
There is no point in atoning for sin when you can just accept forgiveness/salvation and submit to Holy Spirit in moving forward.

You make the mistake of believing that my commitment to live according to evolved values is somehow inferior to your quest to be forgiven through submission to a holy spirit.
Quote:
You seem to implicitly understand Christian principles without understanding they are Christian.

You seem to believe that unselfish virtues are meaningless and without effect unless done in the name of your borrowed philosophical doctrine. I would suggest that such a belief stems from a form of pride.
Quote:
Hopefully you also realize it is everyone's task to make the world better for future generations, but we are obstructed from doing so for various reasons and so we fail to achieve what we should.

Being prohibited from taking over the government in a hostile manner to bring my will to bear on all is not a failure on my part. When you begin to think about it, you will come to realize that the means by which you attain something is also the means by which you unwittingly agree to lose it.
Quote:
So if I steal your neighbor's jewelry and then spend the money at your business, you aren't profiting from your neighbor's loss?

In this example, you are basically accusing me being an accomplice to theft because I accepted your money without first forcing you to submit to a polygraph test in order to find out whether or not you acquired it by legal means. I don't think you understand what kind of a world you are advocating for here. So, I don't agree with you assessment that I am a thief by virtue of the fact that you stole something.
Quote:
So basically you honor Christian philosophy, except you believe that everyone has a separate truth and you want to reject Christ for some reason?

So basically you honor my unselfish values, except that you believe I have rejected your alleged savior and taken him out of the equation. I submit that it is your religious pride that causes you to see a distinction between unselfish living and unselfish living. Have you ever heard the saying: A rose by any other name would smell as sweet? I think that that applies here.
Quote:

For this reason, I implore you to let go of your negativity against Christ and Christians. I'm not asserting that Christians are sinners with all sorts of faults, historically as well as in the present; just that you should be kind and honest by acknowledging that Christianity has a good foundation and that many of the good values you claim to enjoy came to you through generations of Christian perseverance and sacrifice.

So now you are trying to convince me that if it weren't for Christianity, I would not know the difference between right and wrong. This is more pride on your part. Not only that, but you are also trying to convince me that if I don't acknowledge what you believe to be the source of unselfishness, I am somehow expressing negativity. Perhaps it is you who should let go of your negativity toward the evolving nature of others. I think that your doctrine of choice has caused you to view similar, but alternative, views as competition. That is simple pride.
livinglava

Reply Sun 20 Oct, 2019 05:11 pm
@Glennn,
Glennn wrote:

You make the mistake of believing that my commitment to live according to evolved values is somehow inferior to your quest to be forgiven through submission to a holy spirit.

Correction: I think you have stumbled onto a Christian philosophy, only you are not humble enough to acknowledge it is Christian.

Quote:

You seem to believe that unselfish virtues are meaningless and without effect unless done in the name of your borrowed philosophical doctrine. I would suggest that such a belief stems from a form of pride.

No, it's just honest. Christian philosophy laid the foundation for the moral reason you engaged in to arrive at your values and ethics.

Quote:

Being prohibited from taking over the government in a hostile manner to bring my will to bear on all is not a failure on my part. When you begin to think about it, you will come to realize that the means by which you attain something is also the means by which you unwittingly agree to lose it.

Who said anything about taking over government? Is your point that if bad people take over the government, we should let them because standing up to them would amount to us taking over the government?

Quote:

In this example, you are basically accusing me being an accomplice to theft because I accepted your money without first forcing you to submit to a polygraph test in order to find out whether or not you acquired it by legal means.

You shouldn't need a polygraph test to be truthful.

I'm not accusing you of being an accomplish, but I am saying that your hands are not completely clean when you accept money derived from theft, murder, or whatever.

My overall point is that everything is connected so we are all complicit in the sins of the world, even while we strive to repent, resist evil, and raise awareness/ethics in others.

Quote:
I don't think you understand what kind of a world you are advocating for here. So, I don't agree with you assessment that I am a thief by virtue of the fact that you stole something.

What? I am just making a case for accepting salvation from sin without asserting pridefully that your sins are less than others'. The world is sinful and we are all part of the world, and if we care about others besides ourselves (which we should if we're not selfish), then we should seek salvation for the whole world and not just ourselves.

Quote:

So basically you honor my unselfish values, except that you believe I have rejected your alleged savior and taken him out of the equation. I submit that it is your religious pride that causes you to see a distinction between unselfish living and unselfish living. Have you ever heard the saying: A rose by any other name would smell as sweet? I think that that applies here.

I agree, which is why I see no reason for you to reject Christ besides your own pride of self, which is a sin.

Quote:

So now you are trying to convince me that if it weren't for Christianity, I would not know the difference between right and wrong. This is more pride on your part.

Why don't you go really deep and examine what went into making the history of culture that provided you a foundation for your moral/ethical philosophy. If you truly believe that Christian culture played no role, I think you are delusional.

Quote:
Not only that, but you are also trying to convince me that if I don't acknowledge what you believe to be the source of unselfishness, I am somehow expressing negativity.

Now you're connecting different things I said, which weren't logically connected when I said them.
1) I think that if you deny that Christian culture is the source of your values you are being dishonest and/or ignorant
2) What I said was negative was you rejecting Christ even though your values suggest that you should appreciate Him deeply as a forerunner of values you uphold and cherish.

Quote:
Perhaps it is you who should let go of your negativity toward the evolving nature of others. I think that your doctrine of choice has caused you to view similar, but alternative, views as competition. That is simple pride.

Not at all. I think people should study everything they are interested in and I think they should never reject any truth based on the identity of its source.

Rather, I think that all Truth can only be true because of higher power; i.e. because humans cannot control what is truly true and what isn't. 2+2 can never equal 5, no matter how hard any human authority insists that it should. It simply isn't true.

I think that any true belief system must honor this fundamental truth about Truth, and indeed one should be humble in acknowledging that truth can come from any source.

The reason I believe that everyone who knows Jesus should accept Him is that to do otherwise is simply pride/hate. There is nothing wrong with Jesus that merits rejecting Him, so why would anyone reject Him except out of pride and hate/negativity toward Christians? You don't have to like any Christian(s) to acknowledge and accept Jesus. Yes, you should forgive and love them, even if you don't like them, but that is simply because it is the right thing to do just as it is the right thing to do with non-Christians.
Glennn

Reply Sun 20 Oct, 2019 06:26 pm
@livinglava,
Quote:
Correction: I think you have stumbled onto a Christian philosophy, only you are not humble enough to acknowledge it is Christian.

So, according to you, Christians both discovered and own the patent on altruism, compassion, and empathy. That is a most conceited point of view even for a Christian.
Quote:
Christian philosophy laid the foundation for the moral reason you engaged in to arrive at your values and ethics.

I've already addressed your belief that, before Christians arrived on the scene, everyone had the mentality of heartless barbarians. It's a belief borne of self-serving conceit.
Quote:
Who said anything about taking over government?

You said:
Quote:

So, what is your point in calling us all failures for being obstructed from making the world better?
Quote:
I am saying that your hands are not completely clean when you accept money derived from theft, murder, or whatever.

I've already addressed this point. You were trying to shift some blame for your thievery onto me for being a victim of your deception.
Quote:
I am just making a case for accepting salvation from sin without asserting pridefully that your sins are less than others'.

Concerning your previous example, my "sin" would indeed be less than yours (actually it's nonexistent) since you were both the thief and the deceiver. What would you really think of an authority who came to your house and arrested you for selling something at your garage sale to someone who had stolen some money earlier that week? Doesn't sound at all fair when someone puts it to you in real-life terms, does it?
Quote:
I agree, which is why I see no reason for you to reject Christ besides your own pride of self, which is a sin.

There you go again denigrating my altruism because I removed the centerpiece of your belief from the equation. Did you give any thought to what "A rose by any other name would smell as sweet" means?
Quote:

Why don't you go really deep and examine what went into making the history of culture that provided you a foundation for your moral/ethical philosophy. If you truly believe that Christian culture played no role, I think you are delusional.

If you truly believe that, without Christianity, no one would know right from wrong, you are delusional. Pride in your savior is causing you to selfishly withhold honorable attributes from non Christians. The truth is that some of us don't need an excuse to be kind. We do so because it feels good.
Quote:
I think that if you deny that Christian culture is the source of your values you are being dishonest and/or ignorant

Yes, I've already addressed your belief that Christians both discovered and own the patent on altruism, compassion, and empathy--how it is a belief borne of self-serving conceit, which is both dishonest and ignorant.
Quote:
What I said was negative was you rejecting Christ even though your values suggest that you should appreciate Him deeply as a forerunner of values you uphold and cherish.

You are simply reaffirming your prejudice against those who do not attribute their kindness, compassion, and empathy to Jesus.
Quote:
The reason I believe that everyone who knows Jesus should accept Him is that to do otherwise is simply pride/hate.

I will continue to do good because it makes me feel good. And you will continue mindlessly judging me for it because that makes you feel good.
Quote:
why would anyone reject Him except out of pride and hate/negativity toward Christians?

Why would you decide that the rejection of the centerpiece of your beliefs is due to hate? You sound like the product of programming. If Jesus was a good guy, then he and I have something in common, and I have no problem with that.
Quote:
Yes, you should forgive and love them, even if you don't like them, but that is simply because it is the right thing to do just as it is the right thing to do with non-Christians.

I just see human beings.
livinglava

Reply Mon 21 Oct, 2019 05:35 am
@Glennn,
Glennn wrote:

So, according to you, Christians both discovered and own the patent on altruism, compassion, and empathy. That is a most conceited point of view even for a Christian.

There are no patents on Truth. No one can sue you for benefiting from the truth. All I am saying is that it's a failure of honesty and humility if you can't acknowledge that Christianity has put a lot of effort into culturally sustaining for over two millennia the values you seem to hold.

The fact that you are more interested in fighting against Christianity than acknowledging it, however, demonstrates that you lack humility and are more interested in denying Jesus than acknowledging Him. That might seem anti-Christian, but Peter also denied Jesus (three times, as the story goes)

Quote:

I've already addressed your belief that, before Christians arrived on the scene, everyone had the mentality of heartless barbarians. It's a belief borne of self-serving conceit.

No, the self-serving conceit lies in putting Christianity down. Even if there were Christian-valued people prior to the time of Jesus, that is no reason to deny Christianity. What does it matter if Christianity is attributed to Jesus or some other Jesus that came before Jesus? The important thing is that the name of Jesus and the cross are established culturally now and it is more effective to preserve and teach Christian values by maintaining the 'brand' than by trying to rebrand it as something else.

Rebranding would be self-serving conceit. Humility involves just accepting what we have as good.

Quote:

So, what is your point in calling us all failures for being obstructed from making the world better?

We ARE all failures, all sinners. That is a basic precept of Christian philosophy. We have to acknowledge that in order to overcome the sin of pride, which is what leads us to deny sin in favor of a more positive self-image. You don't need a positive self-image to accept salvation and honor God. You just need to be honest about sin with yourself and God and seek to make things better, yourself included.

Quote:

I've already addressed this point. You were trying to shift some blame for your thievery onto me for being a victim of your deception.

We are supposed to be our brothers' keepers. Read the story of Cain and Able.

Quote:

Concerning your previous example, my "sin" would indeed be less than yours (actually it's nonexistent) since you were both the thief and the deceiver.

Maybe so, but ultimately it doesn't matter because if you truly love your brothers and sisters, you don't use the relative gravity of their sins to boost your own ego/pride relative to them. The goal is salvation of self and others, not jacking up your own status relative to others who are worse than you.

Quote:
What would you really think of an authority who came to your house and arrested you for selling something at your garage sale to someone who had stolen some money earlier that week? Doesn't sound at all fair when someone puts it to you in real-life terms, does it?

There would be no positive benefit in arresting someone for something someone else did. The point of criminal justice is correction and how can you correct someone for something done by someone else?

The question is whether you could be corrected from supporting others' bad habits by paying their bills as a reward for their exploitations.

Do you really deny that doing business with criminals doesn't help support criminality, even if it is done unwittingly?

Quote:

There you go again denigrating my altruism because I removed the centerpiece of your belief from the equation. Did you give any thought to what "A rose by any other name would smell as sweet" means?

How does it denigrate you to recognize and honor Jesus, if you truly share His values as you seem to?

Quote:

If you truly believe that, without Christianity, no one would know right from wrong, you are delusional. Pride in your savior is causing you to selfishly withhold honorable attributes from non Christians. The truth is that some of us don't need an excuse to be kind. We do so because it feels good.

Going by what 'feels good' can lead you in very destructive directions.

You have to observe, confess, and repent sin to develop discernment of right from wrong. All Christianity does, really, is provide robust assistance in the development of conscience and right-thinking. I don't think you realize how much Christian culture has done to support your development of values.

Quote:

Yes, I've already addressed your belief that Christians both discovered and own the patent on altruism, compassion, and empathy--how it is a belief borne of self-serving conceit, which is both dishonest and ignorant.

As I said, if Christianity owned a patent on anything, Churches could and would sue people for practicing their philosophies. The reality is we want people to take Christ and His teachings for free. The benefit comes from them being put into practice, not as a means of making money.

All I am saying is that you are in denial of Christ and Christianity because of your own stubborn pride, and you would become a better person by overcoming that.

Quote:

You are simply reaffirming your prejudice against those who do not attribute their kindness, compassion, and empathy to Jesus.

What prejudice against whom? All I was saying is that you are negative for rejecting denying Christ/Christianity. Am I wrong? Is it a positive attitude you hold toward Christ/Christianity?

Quote:

I will continue to do good because it makes me feel good. And you will continue mindlessly judging me for it because that makes you feel good.

You don't have a clue what judgment is. As long as you are free to "continue to do good because it makes you feel good," you haven't been judged (yet). When your judgment day comes, you will know it - as will we all.

Quote:

Why would you decide that the rejection of the centerpiece of your beliefs is due to hate? You sound like the product of programming. If Jesus was a good guy, then he and I have something in common, and I have no problem with that.

When is rejection ever due to anything besides hate/negativity?

Jesus was indeed a good guy, and it is good that you also seek to be a good guy; and I hope that you can make peace with Jesus so that you can experience the positive connection good can have with good when ego/pride is overcome.

Quote:

I just see human beings.

If that was true, why would you harbor more positive views of the supposedly pre-Christian Christians you honor than of Jesus Himself and His followers?
Glennn

Reply Mon 21 Oct, 2019 08:30 am
@livinglava,
Quote:
The fact that you are more interested in fighting against Christianity than acknowledging it, however, demonstrates that you lack humility and are more interested in denying Jesus than acknowledging Him.

And here you are demonstrating the extent to which you have allowed your pride in your religion to blind you. Nowhere did I say, "Down with Christians, and to hell with Jesus." Your hold the idea that before the birth of Christianity, no one knew the difference between right and wrong. And you interpret any criticism of that idea as an attack on Christians or Jesus. Somewhere along the line, you became so selfish that you would deny the inherent goodness in others in order to lay claim to what you insist is the only goodness in town and the only place to get it.
livinglava

Reply Tue 22 Oct, 2019 08:26 am
@Glennn,
Glennn wrote:

Quote:
The fact that you are more interested in fighting against Christianity than acknowledging it, however, demonstrates that you lack humility and are more interested in denying Jesus than acknowledging Him.

And here you are demonstrating the extent to which you have allowed your pride in your religion to blind you. Nowhere did I say, "Down with Christians, and to hell with Jesus."

I think the only thing remotely positive you have mentioned in your posts is to say, "if Jesus was a good guy, then I'm fine with him."

You are accusing me of pride in religion, but you are the one that seems uncomfortable with praising Jesus and acknowledging Christianity, even though it would seem from your beliefs that you resonate well with them. You know there is stubborn-pride in keeping quiet about something you would otherwise be positive about because you want to maintain separation from it.

You don't have to join any church or club because you acknowledge Jesus and Christianity positively, just like you don't have to join any Civil-Rights movement to say something positive about MLK or some other Civil-Rights leader. The fact that you avoid doing so implies that you have some negative issues with Christ/Christianity and you don't want to get tangled up in discussion with Christians, so you avoid identifying your beliefs with theirs.

Quote:
Your hold the idea that before the birth of Christianity, no one knew the difference between right and wrong. And you interpret any criticism of that idea as an attack on Christians or Jesus. Somewhere along the line, you became so selfish that you would deny the inherent goodness in others in order to lay claim to what you insist is the only goodness in town and the only place to get it.

God existed before Jesus, didn't He? There's no issue of whether Jesus or Truth came first. The beginning of the book of John says the following:
Quote:

John 1:1-14 King James Version (KJV)

1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

2 The same was in the beginning with God.

3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.

4 In him was life; and the life was the light of men.

5 And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.

6 There was a man sent from God, whose name was John.

7 The same came for a witness, to bear witness of the Light, that all men through him might believe.

8 He was not that Light, but was sent to bear witness of that Light.

9 That was the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world.

10 He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not.

11 He came unto his own, and his own received him not.

12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:

13 Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

Glennn

Reply Tue 22 Oct, 2019 09:59 am
@livinglava,
Quote:
You are accusing me of pride in religion, but you are the one that seems uncomfortable with praising Jesus and acknowledging Christianity

If you weren't so programmed, you would see that you are the one who seems uncomfortable. You are uncomfortable because I am not praising Jesus and acknowledging Christianity. If there is a Jesus, I'm sure he isn't so egotistical and self-centered that a lack of praise on my part would hurt his feelings. You make it sound as if he is more interested in my exalting him than in my empathic attitude and actions toward others.
0 Replies

Greatest I am

Reply Tue 22 Oct, 2019 10:15 am
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:

Me too, kind of. Religion almost fucked me out of ever figuring this life out. And just about everyone else too.

It was foretold that eventually, evil would start to look like an Angel of Light. I didn't see how that was possible for a long time, but I do now. What better disguise for evil to take in order to deceive.

I hear you.

The mainstream religion go about saying how moral they are, while adoring a genocidal prick of a god and creating homophobic and misogynous religions.

Immoral people don't seem to recognize that.

Regards
DL
0 Replies

Greatest I am

Reply Tue 22 Oct, 2019 10:23 am
@livinglava,
livinglava wrote:

Greatest I am wrote:

So if it is all spiritual talk, allegory IOWs, there was no real A & E or talking serpent. Right?

We have no way of knowing what exactly was meant when these scriptures were written,

I disagree because I have looked at what the writers of those myths saw instead of just looking at what Christians who usurped the Jewish god saw.

Jews see Satan and the talking serpent as god's loyal opposition and were fond enough of the serpent to make it the icon of Moses' staff as well as the icon of the Levites who were the priestly cast back then.

I took the serpent as my avatar for that reason as well as others.

Instead of Original Sin in Eden, Jews see Original Virtue.

Christianity reversed it all because they hated the Jews as well as the many serpent cults that were the bulk of the mystery schools.

Regards
DL

Greatest I am

Reply Tue 22 Oct, 2019 10:25 am
@Glennn,
Glennn wrote:

Quote:
You can reject the rhetorical language of "God" or "gods" having expectations and insist that a good harvest is not a "reward" for good agricultural behavior; or that hunger is not a "punishment" for crop failure; but there is technically no reason those same words can't be applied to nature using a personified image of God or "gods" as they can to situations where one or more humans punish/reward each other for behaviors and outcomes.

I'm speaking to the belief that there is a post-life reward granted by the god for those who live up to its expectations.

Yes, but god himself decides for us who those people will be.

Here is an old O.P. showing that we have no choice in what we believe.
--------------

Are non-believers doomed by Divine Design?

Scriptures say that God decides if a person will be a believer or non-believer. Those scriptures are shown in this link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byHYeHN4ZUQ

Those quotes seems to really screw up the free will notion that Christians say God gives us.

The free will that God offers is kind of a joke anyway given the number of people whose free will to live is ignored in the billions of adults, children and babies that God is shown to torture and murder in scriptures.

If the bible and Yahweh are to be believed, and as a non-believer, I, of course, cannot believe it, thanks to God, by God’s design and will against me, then why did God deny me belief or faith?

Even more important to believers, might be to answer the question of; did God make you a believer in things that you can only hope exists and can never confirm?

Are you happy with God ignoring or negating your free will to think as you please?

I have assumed that God’s work of creating both believers and non-believers is working. If that is so, and you believers must think it so, just as I as a non-believer cannot think it is working, --- and Jesus said that those with faith could do all he did and more, --- then the is is not even one believer or person of faith that has ever existed.

Either the bible and Christianity is all a lie, or there must be some who can do what Jesus did.

What is your choice of those two options?

Is the bible and Christianity a lie, or is God just not creating any people with faith, --- which would make all Christians who say they have faith, --- liars.

I mean no insult here but someone is definitely lying, if we read what is written and look at reality and listen to Christians.

What do you think is the truth?

Is it just for God to create people doomed to hell even if they wanted to believe?

Regards
DL

0 Replies

Greatest I am

Reply Tue 22 Oct, 2019 10:31 am
@Glennn,
Glennn wrote:

Does your good life include fighting the evil religions like Christianity and Islam?

If you think you should live by the Golden Rule, change the labels in this quote to women, minorities, gays or children being brainwashed by religions and it shows what we should be thinking and doing for each other.

"First they came for the Jews, but I did nothing because I'm not a Jew. Then they came for the socialists, but I did nothing because I'm not a socialist. Then they came for the Catholics, but I did nothing because I'm not a Catholic. Finally, they came for me, but by then there was no one left to help me." – Pastor Father Niemoller (1946)”

Regards
DL

0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 22 Oct, 2019 10:33 am
@Greatest I am,
That's not what Gnostics believe at all.