Does Anyone Care if Tom Cruise is Gay?

Piffka

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2005 08:49 am
Thomas wrote:
Piffka wrote:
Is there a list anywhere of these A-List Actors?

I don't think so -- I guess it's a matter of "you know it when you see it."

LOL -- If only I went to more popular films, then I'd know, I guess.

I visited Sozobe's Forbes List (thanks, Soz!) and even though it is hopelessly out of date, that is soooooo last year Wink really it is from 2004... I thought I'd type 'em out since their list was slow & dallied lovingly page-by-page on each individual. I didn't look at the child actors.

Sort of disappointing. There are some good actors here but the A-List is not about talent so much as popularity. Not a surprise, I guess. (Ray Ramano?? Rolling Eyes )

Mel Gibson
Tom Cruise
Johnny Depp
Jim Carrey
Robert De Niro
Brad Pitt
Tom Hanks
Ray Ramano
Kelsey Grammar
John Travolta
Steve Martin

Angeline Jolie
Cameron Diaz
Jennifer Anniston
Julia Roberts
Sandra Bullock
Renee Zellwelleger
Halle Berry
Catherine Zeta-Jones
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2005 08:50 am
Wilson, the agent for many of these stars, was an expert in manipulating the press. George Nader (who is now Martin Milner's life partner and they now live in Palm Springs) was thrown to the wolves to divert the trail to Hudson, a star with more potential.

As to Cruise, he obviously doesn't want to be outed even if the rumors within the Hollywood gay community are just as strong as they are about Keanu Reeves. I say, so what? If they prefer to remain closeted that's their personal business.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2005 08:51 am
Thanks for typing that all out. I had the same reaction to Ray Romano, Kelsey Grammar too. TV stars seem to be in a different category no matter how much money they make, don't you think?
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2005 08:52 am
Piffka
It is poplularity that makes them rich and famous....not talent
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2005 08:53 am
Quote:
I say, so what? If they prefer to remain closeted that's their personal business.

Lightwizard- Exactly. An actor plays a part. Do they need a person to be a serial killer in order to play one? So why should a person's sexual preferences matter?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2005 08:53 am
It's their business, but do you think they need to?

What do you think would happen to their careers if they just came out already? (I heard more about Cruise than Keanu -- one seemed to be common knowledge, the other was more "maybe.")
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2005 08:54 am
I'm surprised that Denzel Washington isn't on the list. Surely he's making more money than Kelsey Grammar & Steve Martin per picture.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2005 08:56 am
sozobe wrote:
It's their business, but do you think they need to?

What do you think would happen to their careers if they just came out already? (I heard more about Cruise than Keanu -- one seemed to be common knowledge, the other was more "maybe.")

They are both maybe. Common knowledge of a rumour does not make it so.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2005 09:02 am
Of course not, Intrepid. I didn't say it is so.

I agree, mac, that's weird. As far as I can tell it has to do with what they were actually paid that year -- so maybe it's just that Denzel didn't get any big payday that interval. (And Steve Martin did? I wonder what.)
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2005 09:05 am
Excellent point, Intrepid. I've heard plenty of rumors, but that doesn't mean a thing.

Steve Martin had Bringing Down the House and Cheaper by the Dozen in 2003. If he had a percentage of Bringing Down the House, he made some serious money.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2005 09:17 am
Whatever is implied or said on this forum, it makes me wonder why people are so interested in other people's sex lives, and what they might or might not do in the privacy of their bedrooms. What difference does it make if any gay or lesbian is a good and decent individual?
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2005 09:20 am
I wonder why anyone would care whether or not Tom Cruise was run over by a train, nevermind if he likes to kiss the penis?
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2005 09:32 am
cicerone imposter wrote:
What difference does it make if any gay or lesbian is a good and decent individual?

As long as someone is a good artist, I don't even care if he's a decent individuals. For example, the pianist Elly Ney was a 150% Nazi. She was also the one of the best Beethoven performers in history. Her pamphlets have never kept me from buying her records.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2005 09:38 am
Slappy said Penis.

Jon Stewart was insulting him about some newest antic. (Not Slappy... Tom Cruise.) Maybe he's been emoting too much but, good grief, what a monkey! All that excess isn't good for anybody.

I agree with LW & CI -- what does it matter and why should we care? I don't but I see why people would develop a creepy kind of intimacy of knowing who those people are who step into our lives to entertain us. Really, Soz hit it on the head -- it is such an indictment of us & our culture that truth is feared.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2005 10:02 am
Thomas, Anyone can have a personal opinion about "good or bad person" and rationalize the objection or acceptance of one's 'artisitic' abilities. Many christians label gays and lesbians as "sinners," and will reject any artistic skill they may posses because of it. It's a choice made every day by people, and we don't make any judgements about them. Since the subject is about Tom Cruise and his sexual orientation, it's very possible there will be people based on this possible misinformation they may elect not to go see his movies. I wrote "good and decent," because I saw an interview by Oprah with Tom Cruise, and he impressed me with his 'good heart.' I'm sure I also appreciate the 'art' works of many who were not good and decent people, but most of us don't really know the history of most artists, and accept the art work by it's appeal.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2005 10:06 am
For the record, since this has come up a few times, the point of this thread is not whether Tom Cruise is gay -- maybe he is, maybe he isn't -- but where we are as a society in terms of acceptance of homosexuality. IF he is gay, and didn't hide it, whether that would make a difference to his career. And if so, to what extent and why.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2005 10:11 am
sozobe, It would seem obvious from my posts where I stand; hidden or not.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2005 10:17 am
Your stance is obvious, but it answers a question other than the one I asked. :-) You don't care and don't think people should -- fine. What do you think would actually happen to his career, though?

From this:

Quote:
it's very possible there will be people based on this possible misinformation they may elect not to go see his movies

You seem to think that his career would be adversely affected. But that's not something you have answered directly.

You don't need to, I just want to clarify what I'm actually asking.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2005 10:18 am
sozobe wrote:
Of course not, Intrepid. I didn't say it is so.

Not outright, but it was implied by saying one seemed common knowledge and the other was maybe. If one is maybe, the other must be fact. I know now what you meant, but it did not come across that way.

sozobe wrote:
Quote:
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2005 10:56 am
sozobe seems to have missed "Since the subject is about Tom Cruise and his sexual orientation, it's very possible there will be people based on this possible misinformation they may elect not to go see his movies. I wrote "good and decent," because I saw an interview by Oprah with Tom Cruise, and he impressed me with his 'good heart.' I'm sure I also appreciate the 'art' works of many who were not good and decent people, but most of us don't really know the history of most artists, and accept the art work by it's appeal."

Some will continue to see his movies irregardless of his sexual orientation. Some will stop going to see his movies. What will happen to his career? Not much difference.
0 Replies