Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 04:55 pm
Intrepid wrote:
Did you edit your post?

hahaha-did you edit yours?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 05:04 pm
I was kind of asking two questions.

One, I was wondering what people here would say about their own perspectives (thought somebody would say that if he came out they would never be able buy him as a [hetero] romantic lead, or something). Two, I was wondering what people thought about how it would be taken, where we are as a society, whether -- IF he is -- he has to go to the extremes he seems to be going to.

My pet theory is that he is riding out his years as a bankable sex symbol, getting maximum $$$ from it, and then once he truly starts to fade, out will come the revelation, and a big push to his career.

I definitely agree that while I don't give a damn, and I don't think anyone should give a damn, people, as a whole, will give a damn. Ellen is doing great now, but what about Anne Heche? She was the one who was just breaking out as a sexy young star and then boom, over. And Ellen had a really rough period herself.

Rock Hudson was mentioned -- he is precisely the old Hollywood hide it at all costs kind of thing I was referring to. NOW we know -- they didn't when he was actually making $$$.

And yeah, I've heard that same word on the street in Chicago about Oprah.
0 Replies

Valpower

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 05:10 pm
In spite of my general apathy towards Tom Cruise, there is a larger cultural and economic angle to this question. As far as the fan base, how can we imagine, in George Bush's America, that the reaction won't be large-scale revulsion? I mean, who in Podunk is going witness a gay wedding or a terrorist-hijacked airplane crashing into a silo? No one. But that sure doesn't seem to stop their fear. Now imagine Cruise's gay kisser on the big screen defiling some American sweetheart.

It isn't so much that no one's career can survive coming out. It's more that he's, uh, not an attractive lesbian nor does his acting lend credibility to his macho screen persona. Instead he relies on apple boxes, special effects, and Celebrity Worship Syndrome fueled by his off-screen romances. The effect of his homosexuality on this last one would trouble the studios and herein lies the economic question. Would the studios, investors, and corporate advertisers back the "new" Tom Cruise? I don't think many would. He would really have to reinvent himself (learn to act) to a smaller audience. (By the way Phoenix, Rock Hudson never really "came out" until the very end and Richard Chamberlain, when he was 69.) Name the most famous gay male actor who commands $20 million a picture?

On top of all this, what would L. Ron Hubbard's Scientology have to say about his "perversion"?
0 Replies

Valpower

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 05:21 pm
eoe wrote:
Beg to differ, Tico. Rock Hudson never came out of the closet, neither did Liberace for that matter. Richard Chamberlain retired before his Hawaiian life surfaced, Rosie O'Donnell pretty much retired as well, Dick Sargeant disappeared until he died, about the only one that came out before retirement was/is Ellen and she's kicking butt on the talk show circuit. She truly is the only one. Now, if Oprah would just come out...

Sorry about the redundant info on Hudson and Chamberlain, I typed it earlier and got distracted by work (how dare they) before submitting it. Eoe, you are so SPOT ON about Oprah. She has so much invested in being the spiritual guru to JoAnne Everywoman that the Church of Oprah couldn't bear the financial blow.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 05:23 pm
Could you imagine???
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 06:50 pm
Sigh. I am a hetero older female who knows personally that gay/bi men can be completely wonderful lovers, ahem, perhaps better than straight men, sometimes. Okay, wait for the hisses...

But - a good portion of the movie going public doesn't have a clue about that. I think it won't be in my lifetime or eoe's, and she is younger than me now... that the public at large grows up.

On the other hand, public mood can and has swung (ha, swung) on other matters in a relatively short span of time, and information does move faster generally now. So it is at least possible that larger groups of people could get past fear-of-other-or selves faster than I think it will happen.

And who has the power to change mood? Cinema producers. I presume some portion of them are homosexual..

It's all about money.

So, I posit change will come from small film writers, directors, and producers, who will at some point be able to interest some actors.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 06:52 pm
Add that I suppose that has been happening for a while, and has been hitting a big wall of public opinion.

So, I don't know, but change happens...
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 06:55 pm
I think Cruise may be on the downhill slope of a mental schism of sorts.

He used to be so quiet--now he's being psychotic over Holmes--that Okra show was beyond silly. It was sort of scary.

But, he's blabbing about scientology in the news--criticising Brooke Sheilds for taking meds for post-partum depression!! He's said, "Look where her career has gone..."

The press junkets for his recent movie have dropped him.

Can you imagine telling Tom Cruise, your star, not to bother with the pre-release press?

Something is not quite right.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 07:00 pm
I agree, Lash. That was the train of thought, actually, exactly that and then "I wonder if it's the strain of dealing with this secret..."
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 07:04 pm
...and from there, "And if so, is the secret really that big of a deal?"

As in, if he's torturing himself over this, what if he could just come out with it (so to speak) and continue more happily and healthily?

Hence the question.

(That was one thing about Ellen -- doesn't she look just infinitely happier and healthier these days?)
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 07:08 pm
I read somewhere that Cruise has fired his public relations firm and hired his sister instead, and that she has been grossly mismanaging his p.r. as of late.

I'd say!
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 07:11 pm
I have a feeling the entire "Tom Cruise is gay" issue is based on wishful thinking that has turned into an urban myth.

"I have a friend of a friend that saw Tom Cruise in a gay bar."
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 07:16 pm
Eva wrote:
I read somewhere that Cruise has fired his public relations firm and hired his sister instead, and that she has been grossly mismanaging his p.r. as of late.

I'd say!

That happened a few years ago.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 07:18 pm
eoe wrote:
Intrepid wrote:
Did you edit your post?

hahaha-did you edit yours?

Only for grammar
0 Replies

husker

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 07:33 pm
Just a thought if you were of a religious nature or gay nature which would be they easiest to be discriminated against? Could a little religious smoke cover the attention or cause enough distration on the gay question?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 08:08 pm
Smoke works.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 08:14 pm
Ellen seems incredibly happy and centered.

And, yes. I think it's possible that Cruise is in denial about his sexuality---or very conflicted about something major.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 08:21 pm
I voted that his career would take a hit but continue. There are enough homophobic people out there that buy movie tickets to make a difference, but thankfully, not enough to kill his career as a leading man completely.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 08:27 pm
Yeah, that was my vote too.

Parados, I don't know anything of course, but what I've been told was pretty convincing. It also just makes sense to me on a lot of levels.

I don't particularly care, except that I think it's cool when people come out, and sad when they feel they can't.

Has anyone at his level come out? I mean Ellen, yes, but she doesn't get $20 mil a movie. Anyone truly A-list, while they're still A-list?
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 08:39 pm
Isn't Dustin Hoffman A-List and gay or did I serious misconstrue what he was saying in "The Kid Stays in the Picture"?

I used to think that the other Scientology guy was gay... uhhh... John Travolta. Apparently he isn't though, with a Scientology wife, who knows.

If there is disconnect with Cruise and he is gay, the disconnect is likely with Scientology. Their teachings, according to beliefnet, include homosexuality as an illness.
0 Replies