Does Anyone Care if Tom Cruise is Gay?

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 07:50 am
"War of the Worlds" premiers on the 29th and as of and is already garnering rave reviews:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/war_of_the_worlds/

Despite what we think about Cruise regarding this foopah, Spielberg can direct one hell of a blockbuster movie. This could easily be this Summer's "Jurassic Park."

Other than that, the star would look nice in a gag for TV interviews.
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2005 05:52 am
I saw Spielberg's War of The Worlds last night and thought that, like his performance in The Last Samurai - Cruise was very convincing.

We all harp on about the terrible Top Gun - but actors are still human and most have earlier films they would rather forget.

I do not own a television, so I do not have to listen to all the personal shite that comes with the famous and infamous.
I watch a film with an open mind, and judge only on the contribution made by the individual (actor, director or whoever).
If Cruise is gay - who cares. He is putting himself forward as an actor and that's all I can judge him on.

I used to think he was an a-hole actor - but must give credit where it's due.
If he carries on making (starring in) films like The Last Samurai and War of the Worlds, I don't think his career is in any jeopardy - no matter if I like the man or not.

Spielberg doesn't strike me as the type of professional who would waste time and effort (not to mention reputation) by giving the lead role of War of The Worlds to an egotistical weakling.

By the way, I too was worried about Spielberg's version of WoTW - I'd like to know what others think - but that's for another thread.

Peace,
E
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2005 10:38 am
Cruise is definitely not a bad actor, not even in "Top Gun" but he's turned in more than his share of walk-through performances. I thought he captured the character in the script of "Top Gun" although the real star was the action and the "Star Wars" like dogfights. I try to watch that movie again and it's lost its "Speed!"
0 Replies

traysea77

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2005 12:30 pm

Tom Cruise is a raving lunatic. To hear him go on and on about psychiatry and medications, and the personal route others have taken to be treated, is irresponsible. I would like to know where he got his degree. UFO Academy?
Tom Cruise is in the middle of a mid-life crisis. That's the bottom line. This man needs to lay off the aliens and UFOs and get back down to planet Earth with the rest of humankind.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2005 04:34 pm
Welcome to A2K and the film forum and I tend to agree with you and your response isn't an over-reaction. I don't believe Travolta would exude all that venom to promote the questionable pyramid scheme self-help quasi-religion. Cruise has left behind the principal of making sure you have completely taken your own inventory before taking someone else's (especially summarily dismissing an entire medical progession as "quacks.") I think Tom should be the one quacking or quaking that this hasn't helped him in the eyes of the public. As far as groups go, he also didn't make any points with Christians or Jews who do not subscribe to the theory that one can rid themselves of all psychological torment by having "faith" in such an obviously ridiculous concept as Dianetics. Give the rest of us a break.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2005 04:39 pm
(Not that most scientists would look at Dianetics, now passed off as "Scien"-tology as a crock)

And that's not to say if the program has helped those people who have become "clears," more power to them. The people I've met who are "clear", for one thing, are clearly boring. Clear must be a euphamism for transparant brain.
0 Replies

savemart55

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 12:00 am
I am a scientologist
I was actually looking at import/export discussions when I got to this site. This is interesting too though. Let me dispel some myths. Scientologists go to doctors all the time. We take prescribed medical drugs such as heart medicines, antibiotics, and other drugs. We do not take mind altering grugs since they interfere with recalling past life incidents. Actively gay persons do not get to the level that Tom is on. We are doing fine in Europe. Some of our largest churches are there. I helped to get a bill passed in Texas that prevents psychiatrists from giving shock treatments to children under the age of sixteen. Sorry, but seven year olds really do die often from those treatments, and we enjoy preventing that. Scientology is non profit. The best investigators from the US government tore through our books for years, and concluded that the staff and execs got paid about $100 per week. Hubbard got paid $25 per week, and his main income came from his book royalties that any author would get. My brain is still as dirty as it ever was. I've never had it washed.I would be happy to answer any of your questions.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 08:17 am
Re: I am a scientologist
savemart55 wrote:
Actively gay persons do not get to the level that Tom is on.

Why not?
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2005 12:15 am
Re: I am a scientologist
savemart55 wrote:
Let me dispel some myths. Scientologists go to doctors all the time. We take prescribed medical drugs such as heart medicines, antibiotics, and other drugs. We do not take mind altering grugs since they interfere with recalling past life incidents . . . I would be happy to answer any of your questions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_opera_in_Scientology_doctrine

Sounds pretty bizaare:

Hubbard argued that science fiction was actually (unconsciously) based on vague recollections of real past lives that could be uncovered through Scientology auditing. . . .

He also gave details of various alien civilizations, their roles and their histories – most of which seem to have involved the mass brainwashing of thetans with "implants" (false memories). . . .

According to Hubbard, the Marcab Confederacy is one of the most powerful galactic civilizations still active. . . .

The capital of the Confederacy is said to be "one of the tail stars of the Big Dipper", probably Alkaid, a star 108 light years distant from Earth. The Marcabians used to rule Earth at some point in the past but lost control of it due to "losses in war and other things".

The Marcabians had an oppressive political system – "if [a person] was considered to be in contempt of court or anything like that, [he was] simply fried since there was a curtain of radioactive material which went clear across the front of the bench anywhere that a witness or anybody would stand, and so on." . . .

Marcabians liked to race motor cars on tracks booby-trapped with atom bombs . . . .

The tracks were deliberately designed to be as dangerous as possible, with "a mountain that you went up to the top of and fell off", and death was commonplace. This, however, was not a problem, as Marcabian medicine was so good that nobody ever died permanently.
0 Replies

rar

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2005 03:32 pm
Why hasn't savemart55 answered either of the last 2 posts. Hubbards wife was also put in jail for church activities and she is supposedly still alive but noone knows where.
0 Replies

savemart55

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 09:48 am
answers
About the gay question. I'm not exactly sure why. Mary Sue Hubbard is doing fine as far as I know. We know where she is. Conspiracy to steal government documents was the charge. Not a big deal. Especially in comparison with my former religion Catholocism. As for the past life stuff, each persons recollections are different, but there are some common civilizations such as the one mentioned above. Certainly more interesting than my high school history. Mainly Scientology is fun. Makes you feel much better. Answers those nagging questions I've had since I was nine, like why would "God" let a beautiful little six year old starve to death without intervening. The answer is that no person with an ounce of decency would allow the atrocities that occur daily on this planet to continue without preventing them. It is beyond our comprehension that someone with that type of ability would stand back and do nothing. Hence, we figure that we need to do something about it ourselves.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 10:38 am
Re: answers
savemart55 wrote:
About the gay question. "Scientologist arrested for "lewd behavior in the park" is not too good for our public relations. Hence the rule.

What rule? That anyone arrested for lewd behavior in the park is not allowed to advance beyond a certain level? I don't understand. Certainly you can't be suggesting that all gays will be arrested on morals charges at some point in their lives.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 10:42 am
I walked into the lunchroom at work the other day, while Mr. Cruise was on The View.

I was still standing there, slack-jawed, staring at the tv, a few minutes later when a co-worker came in.

Don't know if Mr. Cruise is gay, but he sure seems whack.

If I saw someone behaving like that in real life, I'd leave the room, cuz crazy people make me anxious.
0 Replies

savemart55

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 10:52 am
No I am not suggesting that. I was just guessing as to the reason. I actually don't know why. I do know that we don't try to "cure" being gay.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 11:55 am
What level is TC on? Somewhere between the lido deck and the full deck?
0 Replies

savemart55

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 06:52 pm
I think he is on OT5 which is a confidential level. For some people he is overly enthusiastic and exhilirated. It's hard to not be that way after a lot of auditing (procedures that get rid of the yucky stuff). I know how he feels. When you wake up laughing, you feel a little foolish at first, but then you decide that you don't care.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 06:57 pm
I used to share an apartment with a guy who got involved with Dianetics. Last I heard, he was a permanent resident in a 'facility'.
Dangerous business for the not fully balanced.
0 Replies

savemart55

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 09:48 pm
He may have read the book, but since we don't treat the insane, it's unlikelyl that he ever received a Dianetic procedure.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2005 10:32 am
I knew L. Ron Hubbard when a member of the Los Angeles Science Fantasy Society, basically helmed by Mr. Sci-Fi himself, Forrest J. Ackerman. He was not respected in the sci-fi community of L.A., heavily membered by Cal Tech students and professors. He's was a hack writer of pulp sci-fi and if anyone really explored the origins of Dianetics, they run from the room screaming. He was a notorious womanizer and spoke once at a sci-fi convention about Dianetics, being nearly booed off the stage by an assembly of fans, sci-fi writers and scientist.

But it must be "scientific" like Christian "Science" as it does have the word Science in it's final incarnation.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2005 05:15 pm
savemart55 wrote:
He may have read the book, but since we don't treat the insane, it's unlikelyl that he ever received a Dianetic procedure.

he spent several years spending all of his savings on the auditing process

they often forget to tell people upfront how much the whole dang thing is gonna cost them
0 Replies