Antiwar protests.

Tartarin

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2003 01:22 pm
Asherman: "So you think that massive casualties are worth sustaining to "prove" that your hatred of the President of the United States is justified".

Obviously not. That's the kind of stuff -- either vs. or, you vs. me -- which stands in the way of rational discussion. It's plumb wrong. I'm not going to answer these hawk-shrieks any further, but will continue to post my take on this administration, its invasion of Iraq, and the grievous use of the military for aggression rather than for the protection of this country.

Wisconsin Public Radio (WPR.org)'s program "Talk of the Nation" has devoted this week's program to discussions of war in many of its faces, including descriptions of thwarted press coverage and of the atrocities commited by US soldiers during the final phases. These are attributed to training American soldiers (marines, in this case, as I understand) to be killing machines who are then engaged in a war which is largely push-button-at-a-distance. Frustration builds up at lack of action, retreating Iraqi civilians are lined up and shot "to let off steam." I have a personal account of a similar mass killing (familiar to some Abuzzers) which took place at the end of WWII (which I'd be glad to PM to anyone interested).

The WPR program is available in audio online for those interested.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2003 01:25 pm
Timber -- No, I don't expect converts either!! If I got one or two people to even slightly question mainstream news, I'd positively go faint with pleasure!!
0 Replies

trespassers will

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2003 01:31 pm
Tartarin wrote:
Timber -- No, I don't expect converts either!! If I got one or two people to even slightly question mainstream news, I'd positively go faint with pleasure!!

I always question the mainstream news, and often find it slanted to the left.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2003 01:32 pm
Let's not forget that this war is a new departure in US foreign policy. We're about to attack a country because our leaders believe (or claim to believe) that the US is at great risk if we don't attack them. Do I have this right, all?

Can we at least agree that this is the case? If so, then I'll further state that there'd better be good evidence, at the end of the day, that Iraq has weapons of mass destruction and that we're better off for having undertaken this endeavor.

I'm trying to be as objective as I can in summarizing this, because, morally speaking, I think this war is an abomination.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2003 01:36 pm
D'art -- Not trying to make things difficult for you here, but am trying to connect dots, as they say. If the war is an abomination (I agree), and we're doing the invading (Iraq hasn't invaded us), then aren't we the "abominators"? Is there a middle of the road here?
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2003 01:40 pm
I agree, Tartarin...
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2003 01:43 pm
trespassers will wrote:
sozobe wrote:
Meanwhile, Bush is busy insulting the firefighters.

No, he's got 250,000 of them ready to go in and put out the fire.

You obviously missed my point, so I will try to spell it out more clearly:

I was not absolutely against a war with Iraq. Especially, I thought the threat of war could be useful to get Saddam to actually disarm. But Bush has gone about this in a spectacularly hamhanded way, and managed to alienate much of the world. THAT worries me. A lot. If this was truly a UN-sanctioned action, after the "not weeks, not years, but months" Blix stated were required by the inspectors, I might be fine with it. It's not.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2003 01:51 pm
Tres wrote:
The thing that isn't right is your complete avoidance of the very real consequences of doing nothing. You and others like to make much hay over the consequences of action, but simultaneously pretend there are no consequences for inaction.

If we were inside a burning house on a rainy day, you'd argue that we shouldn't run outside because we'll all get wet.

Wrong.

I supported the war against Yugoslavia. I am not one of the pacifists who reject the notion of a necessary war per se - I believe they exist. I believe WW2 was one.

But war is, and always should be, a means of last resort.

War has a knack of replicating itself, of destroying lives, psyches, communities and societies on such a scale that they lead to new wars, soon after or a generation later.

That is why war should only ever be waged when the danger is immediate; when there are no other feasible means to contain or eliminate it; and when the medicine will not be worse than the illness, as we say here.

Whether this is the case should be considered every time, and I'm sure all of us here are doing exactly that.

To my mind, the present situation in Iraq fulfills none of the three above criteria. There has been no proof that Hussein was preparing a war against anyone, or even that he was colliding with Al-Qaeda in plotting terrorist attacks after the 9/11 example, and no proof that he was developing nuclear arms. The threat posed by his possible ownership of remaining chemical weapons could, according to a majority on the UN Security Council, the UN inspectors and neighbouring countries, have been contained and in time eliminated through the process of UN inspections backed up by military threat (rather than action) already in place. Finally, on the cure/illness thing, I am personally not sure - I am afraid that the costs of this war, in terms of lives lost, terrorism incited, international institutions flaunted, and economies ruined, will be greater than the cost a Saddam regime surviving under its no-fly zones and UN inspectors would have posed to world security.

This might sound cruel towards the Iraqi's, but again I find myself quoting Mary Robinson, who, as former UN High Commissioner for Human Rights, cannot be accused of disregard for civilian interests, in saying that sometimes, it can be justified to settle for containment. I didn't think that was the case in Yugoslavia, as Kosovars were fleeing collectively across the mountains, apparently threatened with immediate genocide. I didn't think it was the case back when Hussein was gassing the Kurds, and the US government rejected any need for intervention. But this time I veer towards thinking it is the case.

It's never an easy choice, as every choice for containment means condemning those inside, but it's not by definition unreasonable. In 1956 the West decided to stand by while the Soviet troops rolled into Budapest. It's a black page in history, but one can imagine why it was taken, considering the alternative just might have provoked nuclear war. One always has to balance the costs of action and the costs of inaction.

I am not proposing doing nothing, and I am not avoiding the question of what the costs of doing nothing would be. In fact, just like many others here, I am considering that exact question of costs of action versus costs of inaction - and what combination of the two should be undertaken to ensure the least costs overall.

What I think should be done is what everyone from France, Germany and a range of smaller European countries to governments in the region to the UN weapon inspectors and Kofi Annan himself to a range of experts on international law and politics is proposing variations on: keeping up the pressure through military threat, no-fly zones, UN inspections, embargoes on military-strategic trade, and a 'road map' of disarmament goals each coupled with a concrete retaliation, defined in a UN resolution.

You say he's flaunted them before - it's true. But it's also true that immense progress has been made - just check the proud US statements of years past about the succesful disarmament of Iraq. According to the UN inspectors and officials the process was actually working - at least enough to warrant continuing it. As long as the US can prove no acute cause why continuing this effort for now would pose an immediate danger to the world, there is no justification for turning to the last resort war represents. The only reasons I've lately heard why the war couldnt wait are that its getting too hot and the troops might get demoralised by the waiting. Those are not the kind of arguments that could ever justify a decision to go for the last resort.

At this time, I consider the danger of what you would call inaction, and I would call pro-active containment, less than that of the kind of action Bush is proposing. That is an answer to the question you say I ignore: in fact, practically all my posts and those of other opponents of this war here are genuine attempts at asking and answering that question.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2003 02:52 pm
nimh

Quote:
But there is something else that struck me about your post, something that has haunted me lately, namely: witch trials

Explain., I never said I agreed with the preemptive attack. I was just asking what if .Tartarin, is rooting for an American disaster regardless.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2003 03:06 pm
I agree with you, Nimh. When we yammer on and on about bringing democracy to Iraqis, aside from being two-faced we are being patronizing, in my view.

I'd like to state something again which ought not to need constant repetition. I am a pacifist. I don't want loss of life. Any loss of life in the war in Iraq is the fault of the Bush administration, not me. I want to see political devastation and removal of the Bush regime. If I had to sacrifice 1000 American soldiers and I were given a choice between sacrificing them to "prove a point" by invading Iraq, or sacrificing them to remove from power the very dangerous Bush administration (far more dangerous to the world than that of Saddam Hussein), I'd sacrifice American lives for the protection of their own people and the rest of the world against our own administration. Obviously, I'd prefer to do this, not by sacrificing any lives, but by using the law and political pressure to force Bush to withdraw from the Middle East and make him face legal sanctions, impeachment and loss of office.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2003 03:26 pm
Is Bush a diplomatic zero, Yes, Has Bush destroyed our credibility, Yes. Would I like to see the bumbler disappear into the mists, yes? Has he and his chief warmonger managed to antagonize our friends and enemies alike, Yes?
However, I must say in his defense that the inspections everyone talks about would never have happened without him, his massing of troops and his threats. What would have happened if Bush had sent all the troops home? Would the inspections have continued? Hell no? Were the Iraqi's complying in good faith? again hell no. Could the US or should the US keep our troops in that area indefinitely inorder to give the UN some backbone? Again No. The world organization had as usual taken their usual stance and done nothing. Is the UN irrelevant? Yes, a thousand times yes.
IMO opinion the cause of the present situation in good measure falls upon the head of the body called 'The United Nations"
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2003 03:32 pm
au1929 wrote:
nimh

Explain., I never said I agreed with the preemptive attack. I was just asking what if .Tartarin, is rooting for an American disaster regardless.

Oh no, I wasn't countering any argument I presumed you to be making. It was just that the way you wrote it down neatly summarised something that had been haunting me - you know - about how if these WMD's are found to exist, in the view that takes the WMD as casus belli, Bush will have been right to kill Saddam and whatever civilians it took to do so; but then by extension, if they aren't, he will have been wrong, but those killed will still be dead. It was that logic that triggered the association with the trial of witches for me.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2003 03:55 pm
Tartarin
Quote:
I'd sacrifice American lives for the protection of their own people and the rest of the world against our own administration.

#@**%4 to you. You should be sacrificed.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2003 03:58 pm
Hey. Tartarin was very clear that he would much prefer that nobody at all would die. Tone it down.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2003 03:59 pm
You don't want to use our troops for defense of democracy and the American people, Au?
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2003 04:00 pm
I'm a she, Sozobe... I don't mind being either one, but just for the record!!
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2003 04:01 pm
"The people want peace; indeed, I believe they want peace so badly that the governments will just have to step aside and let them have it."
- Dwight Eisenhower
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2003 04:06 pm
". . . against our own administration."?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2003 04:07 pm
Oh! Sorry, Tartarin. Smile
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2003 04:44 pm
sozobe
I know exactly what Tartarin meant it is in line with her other remarks.When she said sacrifice that is exactly what she meant.
Quote:
Tartarin said
. I want to see political devastation and removal of the Bush regime. If I had to sacrifice 1000 American soldiers and I were given a choice between sacrificing them to "prove a point" by invading Iraq, or sacrificing them to remove from power the very dangerous Bush administration (far more dangerous to the world than that of Saddam Hussein), I'd sacrifice American lives for the protection of their own people and the rest of the world against our own
0 Replies