Antiwar protests.

blatham

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 12:57 pm
Walter

You are very thoughtful today. Your French is excellent, it's the French themselves who have the problem.

I must tell you that your construction "because I've some difficulties reaching you some breasts" is really very funny. Normally in English we would say 'handing you...' or 'passing you...'. 'Reach' as a verb usually connotates the speaker himself touching. So it reads rather as if you've got your hands on those breasts too.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 01:01 pm
but thanks for the mammaries
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 01:04 pm
Look...that's now three guys with their hands on MY teenage fantasy boobs....get the hell out of here.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 01:11 pm
They're so small and cute, how could one not reach for them. And, just a little nibble Wink
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 01:36 pm
I'm glad, neither FBI nor Homeland Security, the Monties or any of my English teacher are reading this.

(Just to explain: in another window, I was writing in that very moment an email in "Emperor-William-style". And used some antique formulations ...)

(On Canada Day ages ago, btw,I had had some difficulties with the Royal Canadian Provost Company: somehow they misunderstood me, when I sung "Allons enfants de la patrie .." - 'Armour en Cage' is not the best combination with 'Seagrams', I've thus learnt :wink: )
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 01:57 pm
As I was driving into Austin this morning, its NPR radio station played all Canadian music, including Joni and Glenn, KD and a couple of hilarious Quebecois pieces by guys unknown to me.

But the great celebration was coming home, turning on the machine, and finding Blatham's link to Hobsbawm which explains to me why I'm so alienated. I still find this country, which was so familiar to me when I left it in the early '60's, an odd, foreign place, and have to make the side-steps, ask the questions, and feel a bit of a fool as one does in an unfamiliar place. On the long drive home, fully forty minutes was taken up (on another station) with a long hip-hop piece on an R&B + hip-hop station, the first of its kind I've really listened to. It was absolutely stunning, interesting, musical and about the best performance art I've heard in a long time. It was flawlessly done without being slick or over-produced. It's social geography and attitudes brought me home again for a moment, made me feel good about Amurrica. So maybe there's hope.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 06:35 pm
Yep...the thing with feathers has so far escaped the Fighting Men of Homeland Security.
0 Replies