Antiwar protests.

blatham

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2003 06:51 am
From Edward Said in the London Review of Books
Quote:
Full of contradictions, flat-out lies and groundless affirmations, the torrent of reporting and commentary on the 'coalition' war against Iraq has obscured the negligence of the military and policy experts who planned it and now justify it. For the past two weeks, I have been travelling in Egypt and Lebanon trying to keep up with the stream of information and misinformation coming out of Iraq, Kuwait, Qatar and Jordan, much of it misleadingly upbeat, but some of it horrifyingly dramatic in its import as well as its immediacy. The Arab satellite channels, al-Jazeera being by now the most notorious and efficient, have given a quite different view of the war from the standard stuff served up by American reporters with their mass uprisings in Basra, their multiple 'falls' of Umm Qasr and al-Faw, their talk of Iraqis being killed for not fighting, and their grimy pictures of themselves, as lost as the English-speaking soldiers they have been living with. Al-Jazeera has had reporters inside Mosul, Baghdad, Basra and Nasiriya, one of them the irrepressible Tasir Alouni, fluent veteran of the Afghanistan war, and they have presented a much more detailed, more realistic account of what has befallen Baghdad and Basra, as well as showing the resistance and anger of the Iraqi population, dismissed by Western propaganda as a sullen bunch waiting to throw flowers at Clint Eastwood lookalikes.
http://www.lrb.co.uk/v25/n08/said01_.html
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2003 07:10 am
Quote:
In an academic career spanning seven decades, the lowest point for Philip Morrison came when students at Cornell University picked up rocks and hurled them at him.

It was late October 1962, when John F. Kennedy and Nikita S. Khrushchev were pushing each other to the brink of war in a standoff over Soviet nuclear missiles in Cuba. Mr. Morrison, a professor of physics, stood on the steps of Cornell's student union, using his cane to help steady legs weakened by childhood polio. Along with a colleague, "we gave a half an hour to the idea that instead of discussing nuclear war or bombing Russia or Cuba, we should ask first for the state leaders, Kennedy and Khrushchev, to meet with the secretary general of the United Nations to arrange for some sort of stop to the process. So they could talk it over."

"That could not be called a very radical proposal," says Mr. Morrison, his voice faltering, dropping to a whisper. "Well, we were stoned."
http://chronicle.com/free/v49/i31/31a05601.htm
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2003 09:11 am
I went to see a local production of "Cabaret" at the University this last Saturday. They did a wonderful job, so good I started seeing a lot of what was in the 1929-1930 Germany happening in America. I'm waiting for the Bush Youth Brigades to be organized any day now!
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2003 08:38 am
On the subject of protests and 'dire' consequences:

Dixie Chicks remained (and still are) # 1 on Billboard country...

Bowling For Columbine receipts up 100% after Academy Award speech, still up 73% a week later, and now running in more theatres than previously (longest consecutive running release presently)
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2003 02:27 pm
http://images.ucomics.com/comics/trall/2003/trall030414.gif
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2003 04:14 pm
BillW wrote:
I went to see a local production of "Cabaret" at the University this last Saturday. They did a wonderful job, so good I started seeing a lot of what was in the 1929-1930 Germany happening in America. I'm waiting for the Bush Youth Brigades to be organized any day now!

IMO, BillW, you exaggerate. Mr. Bush does not share approaches of Hitler, and there is none of his personality cult.
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2003 04:28 pm
Iraq regime linked to terror group
Quote:
A cache of files recovered from the bombed-out headquarters of Iraq's intelligence agency shows Saddam Hussein's regime had links to an Islamist terror group in Africa - and had corresponded about opening a Baghdad training camp for the group.

The documents, pulled by a reporter from a tangle of wires and shredded paper, may be important evidence of the relationship between the Hussein regime and Osama bin Laden's Al Qaeda network - something the Bush administration has long sought to prove.

Without comment.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2003 04:49 pm
steissd, guess it depends on which side of the fence you live on - looks pretty fascist around here to me!
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2003 04:54 pm
Love that cartoon, BillW. Gruesome, horribly true. I don't suppose Steissd is treated very often to American media-at-home and the comments of the "who needs free speech it's just for those damn liberals" crowd.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2003 05:00 pm
bill
Quote:
steissd, guess it depends on which side of the fence you live on -- looks pretty fascist around here to me!

That is a bit of an exageration, don't you think? There may have been a bit of encroachment upon civil liberties in the fight against terrorism. But fascism let's not get carried away.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2003 09:46 am
Not carried away au, we are going more toward fascism every day - and this has been happening for many, many years. Bush and crew are extremely fascist, we just have to see how much sticks and how much is just Bushitis!
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2003 10:07 am
Bill
Maybe a theocracy, if Bush had his way, but fascism not a chance. However, as long as we still have the power of the vote, neither will happen.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2003 10:26 am
BillW, just what practical, day-to-day-lifestyle-affecting effect have you, or anyone known to you, suffered from the encroaching naziism you bemoan? What customary practice of yours has been curtailed? What aspiration has been endangered? What ideal has been challenged by legislation? I know you feel strongly, and I kinow you are among many in your feelings on the matter. I just don't see that there is legitimate substance to the suspicions and allegations presented as argument supporting your position. I don't deny that you may be right, and I emphaticly endorse your right to state your case but I don't share your concern in particular.
Like I said, I could be wrong, and you may be right. I doubt it, though.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2003 10:40 am
IMO hatred for Bush has made many from the left irrational. You would think that we are now in the throws of a dictatorship and have lost all our civil rights. I would note that the radical right and the irrational left present the same level of danger to our liberties.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2003 12:04 pm
au, yup.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2003 12:06 pm
Be it as it may, I wouldn't expect any thing any different - until the youth start singing to the fatherland.

I would have thought preventative wars, much less pre-emptive would be an impossibility 2 years ago also - our biggest enemy is within!
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2003 12:09 pm
Au1929 wrote:
IMO hatred for Bush has made many from the left irrational. You would think that we are now in the throws of a dictatorship and have lost all our civil rights. I would note that the radical right and the irrational left present the same level of danger to our liberties.

Absolutely right. I do not think that Mr. Bush can be compared to any of the politicians he is being compared to by the irrational left: his agenda is very far from these of Hitler, Stalin, Pol Pot and Saddam. I think, he rather respects the same values the majority of his compatriots do. But he has his own approaches of how to implement these domestically and internationally.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2003 12:19 pm
Mr George W. Bush IMO is not unlike Mr Richard M. Nixon. His disregard for the institutions of the United States, the sense of "I'm right, and he who disagrees with me is automatically wrong" is indeed a threat to very foundations of our democratic republic.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2003 12:31 pm
Dangerous politicians and dangerous policies do not necessarily announce themselves on the high shout of trumpets. Nor are they all that easy to spot, other than in retrospect. Many of us will remember Fidel appearing on the Ed Sullivan show, perhaps, though I don't recall, immediately following Liberace.

Dys' comparison with Nixon is appropriate, and not least because of what we later learned was actually going on in the White House.

That Bush isn't a Stalin doesn't tell us much, other than that he isn't a Stalin. Is he a George III? A Henry VI? Is Wolfowitz doing Iago?
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2003 12:32 pm
I did not state that Mr. Bush was perfect; no one is, except the Holy Trinity. But his critics sometimes lose sense of proportion and good taste (I do not mean anyone personally).
0 Replies