Hijack by ABI Network

Reply Tue 31 May, 2005 10:23 pm
My computer was hijacked by a 'virus' with the name "The ABI Network - Division of Direct Revenue.' It adds spam onto my computer. It will not let me delete the program from Search or Change/Remove. When I try to Remove the program, I get C:\WINDOWS\abiuninst.htm - Microsoft Internet Explorer If I can't get rid of this 'worm,' I may have to use my Recovery CD to get rid of everything on my computer. Anybody out there able to help?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 80,817 • Replies: 153
No top replies

Wy

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2005 07:17 pm
No, but I think I may have the same thing. Do you keep getting popup ads from Aurora? I think the last one said "Aurora - part of the ABI Network".

Ad-Aware removed something called "Transponder.[something].Aurora this morning, but I still see popups... even before I reconnected to the Internet.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2005 07:25 pm
Wy, Yes. Go to the a2k Internet Forum, and there's a post by timber that shows how to clean out any virus. The two programs he recommends are not really free, but I downloaded and scanned my computer with them. One charges $39.95 and the other $29.95. For me, it's worth it - if they work. You must follow the instruction step-by-step or it may not work. Make a hard copy before you start. Good luck. BTW, I still can't remove "The ABI Network" from my program file, but my computer seems to be working okay for today.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2005 07:36 pm
I found this:

Quote:
The ABI Network contextual advertising software is installed on this machine because you have received software free of charge through an ABI distributor. To support your free software and to help keep the product free, please do not uninstall the ABI Network software. It is not "spyware," does not collect any personal information about you, and is not malicious.

If you do choose to uninstall the ABI Network software, it can be safely and completely removed by going to xxxxxxxxxx to get the uninstall tool.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2005 07:46 pm
Thanks, all. Today any cost is impossible; I have to stick with AdAware, Spybot, and MS Antispyware Beta.

I don't recall receiving any software, but I'm going next to Husker's link and try that. I'll also check out Timber's instructions for when I have some $$...

[Edit: AAAAA! The link in Husker's post is now a row of x's!]
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2005 07:49 pm
there's a better place go to google and search on Aurora and ABI Network
I just have to be careful on TOS if even by accident I cannot afford to help with links.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2005 07:54 pm
Ah. Thanks for your help! I'll go do that now.
0 Replies

silken dreamz

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 04:17 pm
ABI Network..
i got the same message as husker while trying to uninstall it... now its disappeared from my add/remove list... its been taken out Multiple times, out of my registry, and hard drive, and its STILL coming back... so id find it safe to say its embedded in either a program or site we all use frequently... maybe im mistaken, but its beginning to seem virtually impossible to STAY rid of that danged software...
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 04:46 pm
silken, It really is a huge irritant, and it should be against the law, but the company claims they had access to our computer, because we're using one of their advertisers to get 'free' info. If it keeps coming back, I'm going to use my Recovery CDs and start from square one, and never let anybody access to my computer through any advertisement links.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 05:35 pm
ci get ready to look for an email in the next couple hours
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 05:38 pm
Why? Is it infected with another virus? Wink
0 Replies

larseda

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 06:07 pm
ABI Network Invasion
Just did a Google search for ABI Network and it can provide you with some software to uninstall this. No cost is mentioned and it assures you that no additional software will be installed because it will delete itself after running. But after this, I doubt everything. Any experience on this?

larseda
0 Replies

capitalist pat

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 07:39 pm
just look for where it is in your computer, and delete it. It tell you the programs path in your address bar when it tells you the whole please dont unistall me thing. Find it, right click, and delete the .exe. If that doesnt work use start/run/regedit/file/find/(put whatever it is you're searching for) and when it comes up, delete it from the registry
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 07:46 pm
cp, Welcome to a2k. I tried your search process, but it didn't identify ABI Network.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 08:26 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
Wy, Yes. Go to the a2k Internet Forum, and there's a post by timber that shows how to clean out any virus. The two programs he recommends are not really free, but I downloaded and scanned my computer with them. One charges $39.95 and the other $29.95. For me, it's worth it - if they work. You must follow the instruction step-by-step or it may not work. Make a hard copy before you start. Good luck. BTW, I still can't remove "The ABI Network" from my program file, but my computer seems to be working okay for today.

The free versions of the programs I recommend will do the job - the subscription versions just add more bells and whistles.

Now - on to ABI/NAIL - To start with, create a folder on your root drive ((the one in which Windows resides - ususaly C:\) by right-clicking on "My Computer", selecting "Open", selecting and opening your root drive folder, right-clicking anywhere in an empty area of the folder or by clicking "Tools" in the toolbar, and selecting "New" > Folder. Name the folder HJT, and download HiJackThis into that folder. When the download has completed, install the application. Close all other browsers and folders, and run HiJackThis. From the program's splash screen, select the first option. "Do a system scan and save a logfile". When the scan is complete, a Notepad file will pop up; copy that entire file and post it to this thread.
0 Replies

frmdablock

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 11:35 pm
abi network - aurora
i have also been invaded by this malicious ware called "aurora--part of the abi network"

one of the posts here said this should be against the law. it is. i am an atty and i would like to send a demand letter to the company under a new federal law that makes this illegal. but, i need to find out where this abi networks is located. i have a feeling it is a throwaway name for another spam outfit, which is here today and tomorrow operating under a diff name. i checked google but didnt find any good info. anyone else have better luck, either with locating the abi network, or figuring out a way to wipe it from the comp, let me know. thx.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 11:47 pm
Re: abi network - aurora
frmdablock wrote:
i have also been invaded by this malicious ware called "aurora--part of the abi network"

one of the posts here said this should be against the law. it is. i am an atty and i would like to send a demand letter to the company under a new federal law that makes this illegal. but, i need to find out where this abi networks is located. i have a feeling it is a throwaway name for another spam outfit, which is here today and tomorrow operating under a diff name. i checked google but didnt find any good info. anyone else have better luck, either with locating the abi network, or figuring out a way to wipe it from the comp, let me know. thx.

this is my idea of fun tracking info down but got to stay out of TOS trouble
0 Replies

husker

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 11:47 pm
I'll be hard on it in the morning - unless someone else gets to it
0 Replies

tallrobert

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2005 08:08 am
ABI Network - not the Toronto ABI Network!
Hi, my name is Robert and I am the Communications Coordinator for the Toronto ABI Network.

Wow! I have been getting so many messages from people about this pop up problem!! And many of them are not very kind!

Just wanted to say that the Toronto ABI Network is absolutely not responsible for this. I will be following up and posting some information on our website when I find out. You can look there in the future for answers if you choose ... Edit: Moderator: Link deleted

Robert
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2005 09:21 am
husker, It seems Toronto ABI Network can't provide a cleaner for this worm to uninstall. This guy, tallrobert, better find out who's running this virus and sue their azz for trademark infringement.
0 Replies