Setanta

Mon 13 Jan, 2014 05:12 am
I assume that Google Chrome automatically "up-dates" itself, because it never asks for permission to do so. My question is, does anyone else here have nightmarish problems with Chrome lately? It lags, it freezes, and then it wants to shut down other programs and plug-ins, alleging that there is a problem with them. I've mostly liked Chrome because it solved a bunch of problems with the flash player plug-in, but that is increasingly no longer the case. Anybody have some information on this?

edgarblythe

Mon 13 Jan, 2014 06:10 am
I have been having those problems, but I could never discern the relation between Chrome, computer and DSL, where the problem lay.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Mon 13 Jan, 2014 06:11 am
@Setanta,
Chrome hasn't changed at all for me. You might have an AdWare program stuck in there somewhere. Check under Settings > managing add-ins and disable anything you don't need. Also go into MSWindows > Control Panel > Add and Remove Programs and look through the list and remove any AdWare or Malware programs.
OmSigDAVID

Mon 13 Jan, 2014 06:39 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
I assume that Google Chrome automatically "up-dates" itself, because it never asks for permission to do so. My question is, does anyone else here have nightmarish problems with Chrome lately? It lags, it freezes, and then it wants to shut down other programs and plug-ins, alleging that there is a problem with them. I've mostly liked Chrome because it solved a bunch of problems with the flash player plug-in, but that is increasingly no longer the case. Anybody have some information on this?
NO nightmares on my new iMac
from Google Chrome, nor otherwise

David
0 Replies

jespah

Mon 13 Jan, 2014 08:10 am
@rosborne979,
I'm with rosborne979. I've got Chrome and am not seeing these problems, either.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Mon 13 Jan, 2014 09:00 am
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:

Chrome hasn't changed at all for me. You might have an AdWare program stuck in there somewhere. Check under Settings > managing add-ins and disable anything you don't need. Also go into MSWindows > Control Panel > Add and Remove Programs and look through the list and remove any AdWare or Malware programs.

Sorry, in Chrome it's: Settings > Extensions (not Add-Ins, I think IE calls them "add-ins", I can't remember... anyway). You just want to make sure there's no AdWare listed in those Extensions.
Walter Hinteler

Mon 13 Jan, 2014 09:32 am
No problems with Chrome ... since the very beginning of it.
0 Replies

Setanta

Mon 13 Jan, 2014 11:20 am
@rosborne979,
OK, i only found two "extensions," other than those listed for Kaspersky, my anti-virus. I removed both of them. We'll see what happens. Thanks, Roswell.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Mon 13 Jan, 2014 11:25 am
@Setanta,
I'll check my home computer and Chrome extensions to see if any sneaky little bastard is messing with my browser as well.
0 Replies

Setanta

Mon 13 Jan, 2014 11:55 am
I'd advise it . . . one of them blatantly stated that it's purpose was to tailor online ads to my browsing patterns. I'll be interested to see if the Kaspersky permissions "extension" blocks that kind of plug-in in the future.
rosborne979

Mon 13 Jan, 2014 12:26 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
I'd advise it . . . one of them blatantly stated that it's purpose was to tailor online ads to my browsing patterns. I'll be interested to see if the Kaspersky permissions "extension" blocks that kind of plug-in in the future.

Anti-Virus programs rarely block AdWare, since it's not technically a "Virus". So Kaspersky probably won't block it.

Usually the AdWare sneaks in when you install some type of software and don't read carefully all the little check-boxes which accompany the software. Usually people race through the installation taking all the default settings, many of which explicitly ask you if you want to install browser extensions designed to do all kinds of annoying things.

These extensions are often associated with programs which are installed onto your system which repeatedly re-add the AdWare extensions if you don't stop them. The best way to stop this (and I highly recommend it), is to go into your Windows Control Panel and run Add-Remove Programs and look through that list to make sure there is no AdWare (or otherwise mysterious) program listed there. Many times you will have to Google the programs you see listed (Google: What is blahblahblah.exe program) to find out what they do. If it says anything about helping you with your shopping ... get rid of it. All those things do is analyze your key-clicks and cookies and then force you onto (or pop up) sales sites.

I hate AdWare. Usually when people complain to me about slow computers and their browser crashing, I find tons of these things clogging up their systems.
rhymer

Mon 13 Jan, 2014 02:42 pm
@rosborne979,
You might like to try "Adwcleaner" free-ware program.
Have a read at 'Bleeping computer' first and be sure you understand the recommendations.
I use it regularly and with success!
0 Replies

Setanta

Mon 13 Jan, 2014 02:52 pm
I know all about the sneaky ways that add-ons are included in dowloads, but i find that some get in without getting permissions. The Kapersky program is supposed to require permissions for any such add-ons. Some of them must be getting in by other means, though. So, for example, if you go get a flash player update, the download is chock full of such add-ons. I never allow them, but i discovered that Google Chrone automatically updates Flash player, and that may explain how they got on the machine. Additionally, The Girl went out to buy the last Kaspersky package, so there was a crucial few days when we didn't have the Kaspersky on the box. I'm glad you pointed out to me the part about "extensions" in the Google Chrome control panel, i'd never have thought to look for that myself.
rosborne979

Mon 13 Jan, 2014 03:09 pm
@Setanta,
They have lots of sneaky ways of getting in. And they're always changing and adapting. Good luck.
0 Replies

roger

Thu 20 Feb, 2014 01:52 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

So, for example, if you go get a flash player update, the download is chock full of such add-ons.

Ain't that the cotton pickin truth! Well, I got suckered on an Adobe Reader downloader and had to do a system restore to get rid of it. Really, some alleged security program started scanning my HD and had 'discovered' over 400 problems to fix before I could hit the kill switch.

ETA: I'm using Windows 7, not Chrome.
Setanta

Thu 20 Feb, 2014 02:01 am
@roger,
Windows 7 is an OS, but Google Chrome is a browser.
roger

Thu 20 Feb, 2014 02:19 am
@Setanta,
Aha! I didn't know that. Oh, and at the same time, Chrome also got downloaded. It's still around, but it's time as Home Page was curtailed.
Setanta

Thu 20 Feb, 2014 04:28 am
@roger,
I find Chrome useful to play games at Facebook--and there are problems with that, too. Otherwise, i don't much care.
0 Replies

jack88

Tue 8 Jul, 2014 11:03 pm
@Setanta,
I've never had any problems with Chrome.
You need to dig into the settings.
0 Replies

sivam

Fri 25 Jul, 2014 03:19 am
Let you update the Google chrome by manually.
i think it is better!