Super cool computer tricks, for dopes like me.

Fri 6 Apr, 2007 04:24 pm
Every once in awhile I discover something really cool, that "everyone else" probably already knows. Well I don't or didn't so please share! Also, on occasion I'll write out instructions on specific tasks I do know how to do, and I think it will be handy to have a place to save same.

Links or instructions will both be appreciated.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 29 • Views: 132,770 • Replies: 164
Topic Closed

OCCOM BILL

Fri 6 Apr, 2007 04:27 pm
Today's cool lesson is "Drag and Drop". I learned the other day that it is not neccessary to arrange your windows side by side to accomplish this. Nor do you have to Cut and Paste. By first highlighting the text, and then dragging it over the other program in the Taskbar, said program will automatically jump to the front. This is cool.
OCCOM BILL

Fri 6 Apr, 2007 04:31 pm
someone wrote:
Don't know how to do a screen shot but what I copied and pasted is what came up.
Hold down the control key and look in the upper right side above your letter keys for "Print Screen SysRq" or "Prnt Scrn" or something to that effect and hit it.
Next, open a new file in "Paint" (Probably Start/Programs/Accessories/Paint).
Next under Edit, select Paste.
Next, under File, select "save as" give it a name, and be to sure choose JPEG where it says Save as Type.

You can now make screenshots of whatever you wish. This is cool.
OCCOM BILL

Fri 6 Apr, 2007 04:39 pm
Quoting others on A2K and separating paragraphs the way us annoying political junkies do.

someone wrote:
Bill
Hope you don't mind if I respond on individual posts. Too many times when combining all responses I end up losing the entire post.
I don't mind at all. In this case you didn't say anything I didn't expect... and I have no responses that wouldn't be repetitive either. So, just in case you or anyone's interested in the art of post separation, I'll tell you how I do it: :wink:
First, instead of reply, I hit the "Quote" button to capture the example post below:

This is an example post from that cool Cheesehead guy.

This is the second part of the example post.

(This, would look like this on the on the compose page.)
Code:[QUOTE="OCCOM BILL"]This is an example post from that cool Cheesehead guy.

This is the second part of the example post.[/QUOTE]

Next, I add a space at the beginning and the end of the post so it cutting and pasting won't interfere with the [quotes] like you can see below.
Code:[QUOTE="OCCOM BILL"] This is an example post from that cool Cheesehead guy.

This is the second part of the example post. [/QUOTE]

Then, where ever I want to write, I cut and paste (or just type a
Code:[/QUOTE]
to mark the spot where I'm taking over. Then, when I'm done blabbering I cut and paste the
Code:[QUOTE="OCCOM BILL"]
to begin quoting the next applicable portion of text. After blabbing, it looks like this:
Code:[QUOTE="OCCOM BILL"] This is an example post from that cool Cheesehead guy.[/QUOTE]
blab, blab, blab, blab, blab
[QUOTE="OCCOM BILL"]This is the second part of the example post. [/QUOTE]

Notice the only difference between the generic quote and the named one is: ="OCCOM BILL"

Oh, nested quotes work the same, but you have to cut and paste both names:

Code:[quote="OCCOM BILL"][quote="someone"]

and make sure you have two [/quote]s. One to mark the end of where we each stopped writing. (one will already be there)
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Fri 6 Apr, 2007 04:43 pm
a while back OCCOM BILL wrote:
I only just today discovered that you can expand your desktop onto a second monitor for multi-tasking, and I feel like a damned fool for not doing so sooner. Imagine dragging and dropping from one screen to the next, multi-tasking with twice the work area, on a system smart enough to re-open programs on whichever monitor you used them last. What a wicked cool discovery!
This is a walk in the park for anyone with a laptop and an extra monitor.
0 Replies

Chai

Fri 6 Apr, 2007 05:12 pm
Bill, re Print Screen...I use that every week to make a summary page of about 20 to 25 different screens, for easy viewing of others I email it to...

A couple of handy hints...

You don't need to paste it into Paint, you can paste it into any program, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.

The summary page I produce are all excel spreadsheets, and I realized I could make it more legible if I created a macro that would crop the off the bottom, top and sides of the print screen, getting rid of all the tool bars, scroll bars, etc., I included in the macro enlarging what was left of the print screen so it's as big as possible.

To make the macro easier to access, I pasted a clip art of whatever at the top of the summary page, right clicked the picture and assigned it the macro. (then, I freeze framed the sheet so the clip are can always be seen at the top.

That way, I can just print screen all 20 or so of the sheets, then, clicking on the pasted print screen, just click on the clip are and it runs the marcro, formating the print screen.

I have a master file that already formatted so all the print screens line up properly, 3 per page.

It's a super duper time saver.
0 Replies

littlek

Fri 6 Apr, 2007 05:38 pm
I didn't know just about any of that.
OCCOM BILL

Fri 6 Apr, 2007 06:14 pm
Good thinking on the Macro Chai! I've been taking regular screen shots of a trading platform to save time, and it didn't occur to me to record the steps. You just, single handedly, made this thread profitable. I love A2K.

Glad it's helpful Littlek.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Fri 6 Apr, 2007 07:52 pm
(bookmark)

the only super cool trick I know of is this fabulous power butto........
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Fri 6 Apr, 2007 07:56 pm
Macro enlarging? Question Post images into Excel? Really? I gotta try that!
Chai, why do you copy your screen for coworkers , or print it for whatever? For work? What is the use, if you don't mind? (Always wanna know if I can do what I do easier or more efficiently)...
0 Replies

dadpad

Fri 6 Apr, 2007 09:12 pm
I'd like to know more about macros. I haven't been able to make one work.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Fri 6 Apr, 2007 09:33 pm
Can't really help on so broad of question, DP. Anything I wrote would be wordier and less accurate than the built-in help files on programs that offer them. I can tell you ACT is both the best Database program, and the easiest place to build Macros.
0 Replies

jespah

Sat 7 Apr, 2007 07:38 am
dadpad wrote:
I'd like to know more about macros. I haven't been able to make one work.

I can do Excel macros. Word, I haven't tried but I have done templates.

PS Not too stupid A2K tricks:
    ..indented text...

..numbered lists
  1. another number
  2. and another

bulleted lists...
  • bullet
  • faster than a speeding ...

lettered lists ...
  1. letters
  2. we get letters

Here's the code:
Code:[list]..indented text...[/list]
[list=1]..numbered lists
[*]another number
[*]and another[/list]
[list]bulleted lists...
[*]bullet
[*]faster than a speeding ...[/list]
[list=a]lettered lists ...
[*]letters
[*]we get letters[/list]
0 Replies

Chai

Sat 7 Apr, 2007 08:20 am
dagmaraka wrote:
Macro enlarging? Question Post images into Excel? Really? I gotta try that!
Chai, why do you copy your screen for coworkers , or print it for whatever? For work? What is the use, if you don't mind? (Always wanna know if I can do what I do easier or more efficiently)...

Yes, it's for work.

It's to show a summary of the previous pages tracking employees overtime hours, and when they were incurred.

Actually, I just realized, I lied....It's only 7 print screens, one for each day of the week, but each screen shows what 20 employees were doing on that day.

If I may....

On each sheet, across the top, is each persons name....Joe, Betty, etc.

I'll take the time cards of each person and enter this....

In the cell under Joe's name, I enter their start time, in military time, i.e.
04:30

In the cell below that, I enter their end time, i.e.
21:00....meaning they worked 16 and a half hours

This is the part I like....Below the times, I made it so the rows represent a 24 hour peroid, from 00:00 to 24:00.
When the times are entered, formulas I put in hidden columns cause the appropriate cells for the entered time in that column to turn either green for regular time, and red for OT.

The informatin entered on one sheet transfers to the next sheet, so as soon as a person hits over 40 hours, all subsequent cells for hours worked will be colored red.

The 7 sheets are linked together by clicking on the employees name, taking you to the "In" time on the next sheet for that particular person.

Anyway, you're then able to see that Joe started going into overtime on Wed, and not only that, but why was he working until 23:30 hours? (pretty much normal times would be anywhere from 04:00 to maybe 19:00)

I could have left it like that, but being able to see the entire week on one summary page, rather than someone having to click from sheet to sheet, seemed more user friendly. If they print is out, they can just look at the whole week in one chunk.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Sat 7 Apr, 2007 12:22 pm
jespah wrote:
PS Not too stupid A2K tricks:
Cool stuff! Thanks Jespah!
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Sat 7 Apr, 2007 12:26 pm
Chai; why do you send the Print Screen instead of the consolidated sheet?
0 Replies

Chai

Sat 7 Apr, 2007 08:17 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:
Chai; why do you send the Print Screen instead of the consolidated sheet?

I send the spreadsheet with 8 pages, 7 for the 7 days of the week, and one with the print screen.

I have other files that I use consolidated sheets, but for this purpose, I wanted to give a visual, I can make the print screen smaller so they all print of 2 or 3 pages.

You'd have to see it, but it has more of an impact that way, like "Holy ****, Gregs in OT by Wednesday!!
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Mon 9 Apr, 2007 12:12 am
Imageshack is superior because the pics last longer. NOT imageshack.com... it's:

To upload pics from your computer:
  1. Click -> http://www.imageshack.us/
  2. Hit "browse" to upload your pic (hint: easy to find if you save it to your desktop).
  3. Copy "Hotlink for forums (1)" and paste it where you want it.
  4. Enjoy your new skill.
0 Replies

Chai

Mon 9 Apr, 2007 07:26 am
hmmm...I'll give that a try.
thanks
OCCOM BILL

Mon 9 Apr, 2007 10:17 am
Laughing That came up on another thread, so I figure I should include it here.