Hijack by ABI Network

PC dr

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2005 07:02 pm
<b>cicerone imposter</b>

I just e-mailed my congressman also to find out where to forward these complaints to get the gov. involved. I'll post a link when I hear back. Unfortunately I'll make plenty money removing this POS but this is not how I like to do it. This things spreading like wildfire in the last week. I hope the coder rots in hell for this, but you gotta admit it's a hell of a worm.

Oh, and I'll take your cut if you don't want the money..LOL!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2005 07:06 pm
I no longer have the problem from this virus after following timber's instruction on how to remove it. But, as we can see from all the new posters to a2k in this forum, many are being hit. I'd just like to see this coder rot in hell and/or this company goes belly-up real soon. You are welcome to "my share of the lawsuit." Wink
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2005 07:10 pm
Re: fix I think
PC_dr wrote:
... The way it's spreading this might even reach class action status. I'm not an atty, but it sounds like a good plan.

You oughtta pay more attention - Direct Revenue was served with a class-action suit months ago.

Quote:
Spyware Lawsuit Alleges Computer Hijacking
April 5, 2005

By Karen D. Schwartz

http://img51.echo.cx/img51/1405/directrevenue6ga.jpg

The Filing (Note: 17 page .pdf file)
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2005 07:33 pm
I wonder if Mods are ever checking IP for monkey business with new single posts folks?
0 Replies

PC dr

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2005 07:49 pm
<b>timberlandko</b>

Was this posted earlier or am I just uninformed in a general sense?

Good stuff though. You're like the SmokingGun of A2K.

<b>husker</b>

I'll assume that last post wasn't directed at me since I am only trying to be of assistance to others. And I can assure you that I'm qualified to do so....MCSE, CCNA. This was the first helpful link when a GS was done for ABI network. That is why you have so many newbies.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2005 07:50 pm
PC_dr na - you have 4 posts Smile
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2005 07:51 pm
timber, ;( Got it on the second try.
0 Replies

PC dr

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2005 07:56 pm
<b<husker</b>

Cool, I didn't mean to be defensive but you know how some people can be on discussion boards. I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't stepping on toes. Peace.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2005 09:16 pm
PC_dr wrote:
<b>timberlandko</b>

Was this posted earlier or am I just uninformed in a general sense?

I think something about this was mentioned here on A2K when it happened - and similar suits and legal actions have been mentioned here from time to time, as well. In any event, this particular class action suit was all over the computer security/privacy discussion sites and usenet groups back in March-April.

Quote:
... Good stuff though. You're like the SmokingGun of A2K

Laughing Nahhh .... just detail-oriented. Laughing

Oh, BTW - 'round here, we use BBCode for posting features and formating, not HTML; some (but not very many) HTML tags will work, or sorta work, but BBCode is what this site supports. If you wanna learn more about the local bells and whistles, the color-formatted words down in my signature line take you directly to this site's FAQ, Help Forum, and Terms of Service/User Agreement, respectively. Enjoy.
0 Replies

PC dr

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2005 10:34 pm
Thanks TIMBER. I have to retrain my fingers to use [] instead of <>. I had no idea that BBML existed. I deal in network and server infrastructure so I rarely find myself in these groups. I Love this one however thanks to wealth of subject matter and the the nice guys like you and others.

So if I use BBML I can use it when I initiate entries?
0 Replies

PC dr

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2005 10:38 pm
testing BBML (sorry, couldn't locate a test thread)
0 Replies

PC dr

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2005 10:40 pm
testing BBML (sorry, couldn't locate a test thread)
0 Replies

PC dr

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2005 10:45 pm
testing BBML again..sorry

<b>Timber</b> if using BBML should I disable HTML?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 12:07 am
No need to turn off HTML - just leave that as is. If you want a sandbox to play in while you figure stuff out, try the TESTING FORUM - topics posted there auto-delete after a few days of inactivity, so if you screw up real bad, it ain't there forever to embarrass you.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 09:41 am
Husker understood what I was talking about.

My advice. If you run Windoze and IE, make sure you have auto-updates turned on. Also, keep your AV software up to date as well as your anti-spyware stuff.

One thing I've found very helpful is Spybot S&D's "immunization" feature. Since I've started using this, I've discovered very little spyware infecting my machines.

Another thing to try is Firefox and only use IE when you absolutely have to (i.e. sites that require it).
0 Replies

durden4soap

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 05:30 pm
aroura, my experience
i've been chasing this aurora thing for about four days. I've noticed a few people said it came from party poker, now i'm not sure about that. I do know where mine came from. My computer is firewalled like crazy and i always have spyware sweeper running to catch anything that could miss. Three days ago i was working on my myspace.com page, friends of mine had added videos to theres so i visited the site that they had used. musicvideocodes.com upon entering the site and trying to use it i was having problems playing the videos. Thinking that i was missing a controller, or something of that sorts i allowed pop ups so that the the download window could pop up. Sure enough a window came and i downloaded it, along with being able to play the videos i now had aquired virtual bouncer, aurora - a part of the abi network, elite bar, and numerous other maleware and spyware. since then i have ran spyware doctor, spyware sweeper, and f-secure backweb. None of these have helped. I have used the hjt and posted on a couple forums, but i havent recieved any replies, probably cause it's only been half a day. I'm trying to beat this quick. I checked out what "C.I." keeps talking about, but that's too many steps, i'm keeping that for last resort. I've tried the uninstall software provided by those bastards, but it keeps siezing and becoming unresponsive. I'm not posting this asking for help, i'm just sharing my experience. Maybe someone can find somthing usefull in this. I'm going to retry the uninstaller, run a spy sweeper and then repost with any developments. Great thread, lot's of helpfull info.
Sean.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 06:07 pm
durden, Welcome to a2k. I know it's not from party poker, because I don't play poker on the internet. I got my virus from another source - not quite sure when and how. However, the good news is there are ways to get rid of it. Several helpful methods are on this thread. Good luck. BTW, I don't get any more Aurora adware.
0 Replies

durden4soap

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 06:17 pm
back again
I have ran the company's remover, it seems to work. After the restart i ran spy sweeper and it didn't appear in the startup as before. I then ran hjt, no traces of it were picked up, I THINK I'M CLEAN. Then i located the attorney generals office for the state of NY. I left them a complaint concerning the company and b.s. that they pull. Here's the link for the Attorney General State of NY Complaints page A.G state of NY from this page you fill out an online form and officially file a complaint. With this our voice is heard, and with enough we can put more pressure on these a holes.

Good luck to the rest of you.
Sean
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 08:33 pm
durden, Your link for the AG doesn't work.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 09:15 pm
this is the url
http://www.oag.state.ny.us/contact.html
0 Replies