Hijack by ABI Network

tpaqt

Reply Sun 7 Aug, 2005 05:38 am
My dear, thank you - however I am not quite *that* out of the loop. I didn't open any attachment. I just watched an online cartoon - no file download requested. It was embedded in the cartoon i imagine. Nice, eh? Hence my warning to all.

cicerone imposter wrote:
tpaqt, Just don't open any attachments you don't know the sender. Even friends and family can send spayware/adware without knowing it. so just be careful on what you open. We have sbcglobal as our ISP, and it clears all attachments or warns us any attachment that can't be scanned. I always delete those - even if they are from friends or family.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Sun 7 Aug, 2005 10:42 am
Exactly. Web pages can have nasty content that you never see or know was being downloaded - the only way to protect against it is with active anti-virus software, and a properly secured system. Still no guarantee against something new.

McAfee has saved me several times from vicious websites.
0 Replies

tpaqt

Reply Sun 7 Aug, 2005 05:09 pm
Quick question - if I use the restore disk that came wiht the computer originally, will all this ABI garbage be wiped out? Or might it still be there. That'd be an easier way for me to go instead of all this technical stuff I might screw up. Thanks for letting me know!
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 7 Aug, 2005 08:48 pm
Your vendor's Restore Disk should perform what amounts to a format-and-reinstall of your machine to the state it was in when it left the factory. All personal data will be lost, including all operating system/browser updates and all programs you have installed yourself. On the other hand, your machine ought to come out of it clean - just the way it came out of the box.

If you do go that way, before doing anything else, install antivirus software, activate Windows Firewall or install a 3rd Party firewall, then connect to the internet, go immediately to to Windows Update and get busy - get 'em all. Then update your antivirus. With that out of the way, I strongly recommend you get the following:

Microsoft AntiSpyware Beta (WIN 2K/XP ONLY)

Ad-Aware SE Personal

Spybot S&D

SpyWareBlaster

(refer to This Post for installation, configuration, and update information for the ubove applications)

And with all of that done, Be Safe Out There
0 Replies

tpaqt

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 04:37 am
THANK you Timberland for the assurance! That's the way I'll go since I have backups of all my personal files. Thanks also for the tip on how to re-do things. As many of you noticed - yes, this is throwing a lot of newbies into your threads because they're hitting so many people - it should be a crime and I've logged my complaint with NY State's Atty Gen. Thanks again guys
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 09:06 am
Cool. If that works for you, then fine. You'll prolly hafta reactivate Windows - don't wory about it, just follow the prompts. Your Windows activation code should be on a sticker either on the case of your machine or on the sleeve of the Restore Disk - have it handy.

Again, the first thing to do once you've "Restored" your machine is to install an antivrus, then make sure Windows Firewall is on or install a 3rd Party firewall, then update Windows fully.

Once Windows is fully updated, update your antivirus, then run a full system scan with your antiivirus. I then would recommend installing, updating and configuring Microsoft Antispyware, Ad-Aware SE, Spybot S&D, and SpywareBlaster, all before doing anything else while connected to the internet.

At the very least, don't do any email checking, messaging, web surfing, or chatting untill Windows and your antivirus are fully updated and properly configured.

Be patient, take the steps in order, do them all, and you'll certainly be much happier and find yourself far less vulnerable to threats. An ounce of prevention and all that.

Good luck.
0 Replies

ibrachels

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2005 01:49 pm
I used the mypctuneup on 6/6/05 and haven't had any problems since.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2005 01:54 pm
ibrachels, Are you sure your computer doesn't have spyware? "mypctuneup" was developed and offered by the same people that infected your computer in the first place. Good luck!
0 Replies

ill be your mirror817

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 11:08 am
cicerone, i know this is an older post, but i have had these aurora pop-ups for ages and i've read through the many pages of this post with the thousands of solutions. which one do you think is best? every time i try to get rid of it i get a pop-up telling me to go to mypctuneup.com, but it doesn't seem right that the company would make their own uninstaller. suggestions?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2005 10:52 am
ill_be_your_mirror817 wrote:
cicerone, i know this is an older post, but i have had these aurora pop-ups for ages and i've read through the many pages of this post with the thousands of solutions. which one do you think is best? every time i try to get rid of it i get a pop-up telling me to go to mypctuneup.com, but it doesn't seem right that the company would make their own uninstaller. suggestions?

As mentioned many times throughout this discussion, something that works to solve your problem is available; Start With This. If you'd like references, skim through the Computers forum (the forum you're in now), and look at topics which have [Resolved] prefixed to the topic title.
0 Replies

ABIorBONrgoindown

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2007 08:29 am
Re: Thanks from Toronto ABI Network for all the info posted
tallrobert wrote:
Hello,

I don't have much time to participate in forums as I have a busy job normally, which has been made even more busy and frustrating by the Direct Revenue people and the aurora popups.

I'm the guy that posted some time ago who works for the Toronto ABI Network, that is Toronto Acquired Brain Injury Network. I feel like our company name has been hijacked by this piece of dogcrap brought to the world by Direct Revenue.

I have directed a number of people this way which is why there may be more new people on this forum, as I have read. It is also an easy find via Google search which is how I came across it.

I'm not really able to follow the explicit details that have been posted by many but I am grateful that there are real people out in the world who try to help one another instead of making life impossible.

One guy responded to me to ask where he could send his bill. Obviously he still has not learned that the Toronto ABI Network is an innocent victim in this. And me too. The longer this continues the more I think it's time for me to find a new job. All I want to do is the job I was doing before. I used to like it. I have been here almost ten years.

So I just wanted to vent, and really to say a heartfelt thank you to those of you who have posted some useful info.

Robert Jessop

Tallrobert,

I realise that I may be kicking up an old thread and I apolagise however I feel that this must be said. ABI in Toronto (Aquired Brain Institute) as you obviously know it is an entirely different company from the ABI (A Better Internet, now trading under BON, Better Offers Network) in New York city. BON is an advertising company which deals mainly in installing spyware and spyware trojans onto victims computers in order to create revenue for their partners. This we all know.

I believe there must be some jurisdiction in your state pertaining to this matter that would enable you to file a lawsuit against the company. You should have sufficient evidence to challenge them in court in regards to the losses you have experienced wether it be financially, emotionally etc. (You mentioned you may be forced to find new employment as a result) I have no reason to believe that their methods are entirely legal in any form and am in the process of aquiring an attorney for myself to represent certain breaches they have made under New York State Law and specific Federal Laws.

I strongly encourage anyone else affected by these vermin to take effective action as well. Anyway Robert I wish you all the best and will let you know you have my condolences.

Cheers, Jacob
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2007 09:19 am
For you newbies to a2k, I wish to inform you that timberlanko has passed away several months ago. He was one of the most knowledgeable on computers on a2k, and always helped people solve personal computer problems. We all miss him, and a thread has been created in his honor.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2007 12:02 pm
CI I didn't know...I'm shook up at the news. Timber kept my puter running smooth for years,,,I'm heartbroken...where's that thread?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2007 12:43 pm
panzade, Here's the LINK.
0 Replies