Do You Turn Off Your Computer at Night?

Fri 29 Jan, 2010 06:18 am
For years, I have turned off my computer right before I go to bed. Last week, I went from cable to FIOS (fantastic, but that is another story). The tech who installed the FIOS said that I should always leave it on, as booting and rebooting is hard on the computer.

What I did was change the parameters in my power options in the control panel, so that my monitor and hard drive goes off fairly soon. Let me tell you, it has been a real pleasure to have the computer always at the ready.

My only concern is in the rainy season (June-Sept). I live in the lightning capital of the U.S. and would not like to fry my equipment.

What do you do? Do you leave your computer on, turn it off every day, some days, or keep the computer in hibernation when you are not using it?

OmSigDAVID

Fri 29 Jan, 2010 06:22 am
@Phoenix32890,
sometimes
0 Replies

dadpad

Fri 29 Jan, 2010 06:29 am
i'm a turn off.
I've had trouble resurecting win 7 from hibernation if i've left the computer on during the day and been away for an hour or more.
Setanta

Fri 29 Jan, 2010 06:45 am
Not no more we don't . . . we leave an application running, so the OS stays in operation overnight.
0 Replies

Setanta

Fri 29 Jan, 2010 06:47 am
@Phoenix32890,
Phoenix32890 wrote:
My only concern is in the rainy season (June-Sept). I live in the lightning capital of the U.S. and would not like to fry my equipment.

You do live in the lightening capital of the world, don' you? (I believe Florida gets more lightening strikes than anywhere else on the planet.) Do you have your computer equipment plugged into a surge protector? I would advise that you get one--you can get a reliable surge protector power strip for about $20.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Fri 29 Jan, 2010 06:49 am
@Phoenix32890,
Phoenix32890 wrote:

For years, I have turned off my computer right before I go to bed. Last week, I went from cable to FIOS (fantastic, but that is another story). The tech who installed the FIOS said that I should always leave it on, as booting and rebooting is hard on the computer.

That's nonsense.
Quote:
For example, computers connected to the Internet via DSL or cable modem are vulnerable to hacking if they are still connected. You can either turn off the connection or turn off the computer. You may need to keep the computer turned on, conversely, if the computer is used as a fax machine as well.

However, if you work from home and log into a business, you should definitely turn off the computer at night, or at the very least, log out from the business. Not only does leaving the computer on threaten the security of your personal computer, but it could also give hackers entry to your business.

Sleep mode on computers still uses some electricity, and the most economic thing to do is to turn off the computer at night, especially if you're is penny pinching. Saving electricity also has environmental benefits. Older computers may not have the sleep feature, so if you have an older computer you might want to turn it off to save money. Obviously, laptops, which run on a battery, will have a longer battery life if they are turned off when not in use.

You may turn off the computer out of the common misconception that this will protect the computer from power surges. Actually, this is not the case. Even when people turn off their computer, the computer is still vulnerable to power surges if it's not hooked up to a surge protector. Be sure to purchase a good surge protector and do not skimp on money in this case. Find a well rated one that will protect your computer whether off or on from power surges.

Some computer experts suggest that certain programs benefit from getting a break at night, like Windows®. Turning off the computer at night may help eliminate crashes during the day, since the program is rebooted when the computer is turned on again in the morning.

http://www.wisegeek.com/should-i-turn-my-computer-off-at-night.htm
tsarstepan

Fri 29 Jan, 2010 06:50 am
@tsarstepan,
http://www.microsoft.com/smallbusiness/resources/technology/hardware/should-you-turn-off-computer.aspx#Shouldyouturnoffcomputer

Quote:
Turning your PC off uses more energy than leaving it on. Not true. The small surge of power you use when turning it on -- which varies per PC make and model -- is still much smaller than the amount you use in keeping it on for lengthy periods.

Turning your PC on and off wears it out. A decade ago, there was something to this, but not today, say Hershberg and others. It used to be that PC hard disks did not automatically park their heads when shut off, and that frequent on/off cycling could damage the hard disks. Today's PCs are designed to handle 40,000 on/off cycles before a failure, and that's a number you likely won't reach during the computer's five-to-seven-year life span.
0 Replies

djjd62

Fri 29 Jan, 2010 07:09 am
i reboot about once a week, other wise the comp is on all the time
rosborne979

Fri 29 Jan, 2010 07:48 am
@Phoenix32890,
I leave mine running all the time. I only turn it off maybe once every few weeks usually during software upgrades. The energy saving options are set to turn the screen off after 15 minutes, and to spin-down the hard drives after 1hr of inactivity, so it "sleeps" over night. To get it going in the morning I just click the mouse and everything is back up and running in about 5 seconds. It's an iMac.
0 Replies

dlowan

Fri 29 Jan, 2010 07:49 am
@dadpad,
dadpad wrote:

i'm a turn off.
I've had trouble resurecting win 7 from hibernation if i've left the computer on during the day and been away for an hour or more.

I won't waste the power that leaving it on uses.
0 Replies

sozobe

Fri 29 Jan, 2010 07:50 am
Turn off.
dlowan

Fri 29 Jan, 2010 07:52 am
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:

Turn off.

Bossy, but clear.

But WHAT did I say that turned you off?
sozobe

Fri 29 Jan, 2010 07:55 am
@dlowan,
I just KNEW there would be some sass of some sort when I saw you'd replied to this.

You sasser you.
dlowan

Fri 29 Jan, 2010 07:58 am
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:

I just KNEW there would be some sass of some sort when I saw you'd replied to this.

You sasser you.

Well, you're such a great sassee. You have a great sass.
0 Replies

engineer

Fri 29 Jan, 2010 08:04 am
As tsarstepan's link mentioned, turning your computer off does not protect against a power surge. If you really want to do that, you need to unplug it. A surge protector is usually enough, but you have to protect against every line coming in, phone, network, power.
ebrown p

Fri 29 Jan, 2010 08:08 am
Yep, unless your computer is a dinosaur, there is no problem turning it off every day. The power savings makes this worthwhile.

I leave mine one, but that is only because loading the punch cards to boot the kernel is such a pain.
0 Replies

George

Fri 29 Jan, 2010 08:27 am
I forget.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Fri 29 Jan, 2010 08:42 am
@engineer,
I have a surge protector, but I don't think that would help with a direct lightning strike. A girlfriend of mine had two TVs fried during a summer storm. We have lost a cordless phone, and had to reboot a TV.

Another thing that is bothering me. When I had cable, the modem had an "on-off" switch. The FIOS doesn't, so IMO it is vulnerable all the time. I have Norton Internet Security, but is that enough?
BillRM

Fri 29 Jan, 2010 09:36 am
@Phoenix32890,
A direct lighting strike would not care if your computer is on or off and only unplugging it would help in that case as a few millions or billions of volts of a strike would jump an on/off switch like it was not here.

Such a direct household hit would cause you more concerns then your computer health in any case as there would be a good chance you would not even have a home to worry about afterward.

Thank as this just remain me that I need to do an off site backup soon.
0 Replies

engineer

Fri 29 Jan, 2010 09:37 am
@Phoenix32890,
FIOS is a lot better because the fiber outside your house will not conduct current back into your system. A surge outside your house can't use that path to get in so as long as you don't take a hit directly to your house, FIOS shouldn't be a weakness.