I’m worried about my friend

Reply Sat 10 Aug, 2019 12:40 pm
A close friend of mine recently came out to her parents, and they decided to send her to a Christian school to “reform her”. Lately she has been texting me and our other friends, venting to us after one or both of her parents “talks” to her about her sexuality.
It really has me worried, especially since she has said before multiple times that she feels scared, sad, and uncomfortable. She has asked many times if she can move in with someone from our friend group after she turns eighteen and until she finishes high school.
I’ve heard her sound really upset and on the verge of tears over the phone when she talks about her parents and her living with them.
I’m wondering if I should tell my own parents about all this, because I know that they are very open minded people who might be able to help, them being adults and all.
Should I tell my parents? And what can I do or say to help my friend feel better?

hightor

Reply Sat 10 Aug, 2019 01:26 pm
@LovelyandTrying,
Quote:
Should I tell my parents?

It wouldn't hurt. If nothing else they may be able to give you some comfort while you're going through this difficult time.
Quote:
And what can I do or say to help my friend feel better?

Not abandoning her is the first step — good for you and the others in your group of friends. If you all keep her in your circle and clearly show your empathy and support I'll bet that will do a lot to ease her suffering.

0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sat 10 Aug, 2019 03:07 pm
@LovelyandTrying,
Of course she is sad and upset. She has been separated from being with her friends. Fortunately, she is still able to text and talk on the phone with friends such as you. The teen years are hard enough without having to endure this. That said, she will be able to live happily in the life she wants in a few years when she becomes an adult.

As she is asking about living with another family, it would be good to discuss this with your family. Even if they decline, you will have tried.

The best way to help is continue doing what you have done so far - being there for her as a friend.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Sat 10 Aug, 2019 03:36 pm
Invite her to stay the weekend. She may need a respite from her home life.

Yes, tell your parents that she is unhappy at home. No need to elaborate at this stage.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Sat 10 Aug, 2019 07:50 pm
@LovelyandTrying,
How old is she? It sounds like she will be 18 soon.

Be a friend and listen to her.Let her know that you are there for her and when she is of age - she is free to stay with you.

I am not sure what Christian school she is going to- but we are sending my daughter to one - not for this reason but because my daughter wanted to leave public school due to bullying and other social issues. It kind of depends of the Christian school but some although not necessarily supportive of this lifestyle are not judgmental. I hope this is the case for her so it will make it easier for her. Many teach to be kind and loving to each other.

In any case - you being a friend and offering a place when she is of age should help greatly.

As others say - it cannot hurt to tell your parents - they may not be able to directly do anything at this point - but knowing there are friends including adults there helping emotionally should go a long way. And for her to know that your parents would be open to her staying with them when she is 18 could go a long way.

I am sorry about this and wish there are more open Christian schools out there.
0 Replies