How Dare We Call It a War!

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 20 Apr, 2003 08:48 pm
It's the new world disorder I'm afraid, promoted from the core of a foreign policy that was advertised as "humble." Meanwhile, back at the ranch, Dubya is losing it.
0 Replies

maxsdadeo

Reply Sun 20 Apr, 2003 11:12 pm
billhenry said:
Quote:
The world might be a more civilized place with the UN up to full steam

If your idea of civilized is a bunch of guys with limos, expensive suits and bad teeth making it hard to get a table at nice restaurants for lunch in Manhattan then you are probably right.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Mon 21 Apr, 2003 10:13 am
Thanks, Snood. Timber did get a bit carried away there.

And williamhenry3...not "kind of scary"...VERY scary. I used to think WE were the government, but not anymore. These are not good days to be an American.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 21 Apr, 2003 03:06 pm
Visitor wrote:
Thanks, Snood. Timber did get a bit carried away there.

Laughing Cool Laughing Wasn't the first time .... just wait 'til you really get to know me! Twisted Evil
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Mon 21 Apr, 2003 03:19 pm
Quote:
"Oh my, yes. What whimpering, unadulterated embarrassment the anti-war protesters must now feel, what heaping mountains of crow we must all imbibe. This is the general sentiment, the gloating attitude hissing from the Right like hot spittle spraying all over your nuanced perspective.

Hail the great victor BushCo! Ha! The U.S. kicked ass! Who's your daddy, beeyatch? Thump thump thump on the manly chest of great liberator America! Liberals suck! Go, war! It's Miller Time.

Yes, justifiably do the war zealots gloat. See how our multibillion-dollar high-tech superpower ordnance annihilated the little scrawny pipsqueak nation! See how we barely even broke a multibillion-dollar sweat! Whoever dared doubt our brawn should be immediately hanged and castrated and laughed at and called many violently homophobic names and run over with a big bitchin' Ford Expedition! Snicker!"

The Warmongers Were Right!
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 21 Apr, 2003 03:29 pm
I jus' wanna point out here, folks ... usually, when I go over the top, its me goin' over the top ... not somebody else I'm quoting :wink:
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 21 Apr, 2003 04:02 pm
williamhenry3
Quote:
The world might be a more civilized place with the UN up to full steam, but that's about it.

It will never happen there is a hole in the boiler. Examine for a moment the membership of the UN. Of the 190 or so member nations at least 1/3 of them are ruled by despotic regimes. Regimes that operate in direct conflict with the UN charter. What can one expect from an organization where 1/3 of it's membership is in some manner at odds with it's supposed purpose? We constantly here the term world
Community. Community hell it is just an organization of desperate nations looking out for their own national interests.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 21 Apr, 2003 04:08 pm
Visitor
Quote:
These are not good days to be an American.

I beg to differ it is always a good day to be an American. God bless it.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Mon 21 Apr, 2003 05:18 pm
http://images.ucomics.com/comics/jd/2003/jd030420.gif
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Mon 21 Apr, 2003 10:51 pm
PDiddie<

You won't get any criticism from me for posting the Danziger cartoon.

It has more truth than many posts written here, including mine.

VA Hospitals have a reputation akin to one of S. Hussein's torture chambers. The media rarely notice the lack of care given to those confined (sometimes for life) in these pitiful places. The policy seems familiar: Don't ask; don't tell.
0 Replies

maxsdadeo

Reply Mon 21 Apr, 2003 11:03 pm
billhenry: I realize that hyperbole gets the best of all of us sometimes, (I am a frequent victim myself) however this:
Quote:
VA Hospitals have a reputation akin to one of S. Hussein's torture chambers
goes beyond the beyonds.

For all the rancor and maligning of VA hospitals and anecdotal horror stories, they serve a tremendous number of Veterans and go a long way towards extending the quantity as well as increasing the quality of their lives.

To compare them to a torture chamber is hideously and grossly misstated.
0 Replies

cobalt

Reply Wed 7 May, 2003 11:02 am
It's been awhile since the last post to this thread, hasn't it? But, the question originally posed still has merit, and more importance as time passes. With a result of 74 votes cast in the poll attached, the term of "war" seems to be unacceptable by 64% or more of the respondants within this tiny haven of posters to the thread on a2k. There is some possibility that the significant percentage of responders who selected "Other" as an answer represents distaste, at least discomfort with the term of "war" for the "whatever" on Iraq.

I'd venture that a related poll could run in this forum about what to term the present - um - presence - of the US inside Iraq. I find it appalling that the US president's goal of "kicking Iraq's a**" seems to be growing in acceptibility with each passing day. Even the victorious boast, such as it is, rings shallow in the extreme. What do you think?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 7 May, 2003 11:09 am
maxsdadeo wrote:
billhenry: I realize that hyperbole gets the best of all of us sometimes, (I am a frequent victim myself) however this:
Quote:
VA Hospitals have a reputation akin to one of S. Hussein's torture chambers
goes beyond the beyonds.

For all the rancor and maligning of VA hospitals and anecdotal horror stories, they serve a tremendous number of Veterans and go a long way towards extending the quantity as well as increasing the quality of their lives.

To compare them to a torture chamber is hideously and grossly misstated.

Musta missed this back when you posted it Max.

I thank you for it.

I was treated at the VA Hospital in East Orange NJ for non-Hodgkins Lymphoma. I was in very, very bad shape. They made me better -- and I thank them for it.

BillHenry's comment was inappropriate.
0 Replies

cobalt

Reply Wed 7 May, 2003 11:19 am
Frank - I've seen both good and negative results from VA hospitals. I'd expect that the VA hospitals will not be receiving significant increases in assets and budget through this administration, even though the "war" on Iraq is promoted by spin as a popular one. The COST of the Iraq travesty will be measured in years and generations to come, and some cost will be seen in the viability and efficacy of VA hospital results.

BTW, hi there and glad you saw this post today!
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 7 May, 2003 11:41 am
Thanks Cobalt.

I hear there are thoughts about closing all VA Hospitals -- and providing monetary assistance to vets who need assistance with getting medical insurance.

That might actually be the best way to go. And the VA could sell the hospital sites to private enterprise or to cities or states who need additional medical sites.

But for Bill to compare them with Saddam Hussein's torture chambers was way out there.
0 Replies

cobalt

Reply Wed 7 May, 2003 01:32 pm
http://www.nytimes.com/2003/05/07/business/07HALL.html

Article about Halliburton's potential $6 - 7 billion in total for the contract to control Iraq's oil wells in context of fires - but this article is buried inside of newspapers and may be missed in favor of the heavy rotation news stories such as Dick Cheney's acceptance of the next run for VP. This "story" originally was public on March 24, but at that particular time, the US had got the war on...

So, it is still "war" for the title of what the US did then and plays out now?
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Thu 8 May, 2003 10:43 pm
Frank<

I have lived a long time and have never denied being an "inappropriate" and "way out there" kind of guy.

Thanks for posting.
0 Replies

henrygreen

Reply Mon 26 May, 2003 02:01 pm
Saddam's torture chambers will likely be up and running in no time--to be used to punish and intimidate opponents of the American Nazi regime now occupying Baghdad. We helped the Shah set up his vicious SAVAK against the Iranian people 50 years ago, so we are old hands at this sort of thing. You want torture? Leave it to the Americans. Here at least is ONE area where we can justifiably claim to be #1.
0 Replies

Anonymous

Reply Tue 27 May, 2003 02:20 pm
Action has been taken against member henrygreen for violating Section III B of the Terms of Service. We take threats of physical harm very seriously. Thank you to all who reported this user's comments.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Tue 27 May, 2003 04:30 pm
Bush's actions against Veterans' promised medical care is abominable and seriously erodes any confidence anyone should have in regards to his regime and the populace at large!
0 Replies