How Dare We Call It a War!

Tartarin

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 09:39 am
Okay, Blatham, here's a little test for you: based on the first photo you posted a link to, how many inches shorter is Sharon than Bush?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 09:47 am
Blatham

Sometimes newspaper photos can really tell a story way beyond the text accompanying them.

I remember back during Bush I's term, there was a huge to-do about something Saddam Hussein did. It seems he tried to ingratiate himself to a diplomat's young son by patting the boy on the head. The picture taken shows a smiling Saddam and an obviously apprehensive young boy tolerating, with some grit, the head patting.

There were lots of words in the text about the fact that Saddam was a jerk-off and was trying to be avuncular by showing any attention to the kid -- but "just look at the picture" and you can tell that the kid wasn't buying it. And it noted that patting a kid on the head was considered an insult by many cultures because it was the kind of gesture that should be reserved for a pet animal.

The story probably would have played better if the picture on the next page hadn't been of the Pope patting a terrified, screaming child on the head.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 09:42 pm
frank

Lovely story!

Tartarin

I know a trick question when I see one. Am I to answer this as to before or after Bush stepped up on the butter crate?
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 09:49 pm
Bush is 5'11" and Sharon is 5'8". I don't think there was a crate, but wanted to test your impression before tipping you off!!

Just saw "The Pianist," and if ever there were a case for taking (and looking carefully at) photographs, that flick advocates a big one...
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 09:56 pm
Tart - so how come he's looking shorter and shorter? Is it that with each lie he loses a bit of height?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 10:08 pm
Tartarin

Thank you kindly. I did not know the real height of either of these two men of peace. Nor shoe size, come to think of it. Regarding underwear choices, I'd guess Sharon goes for silk boxers and George wears a thong (perhaps backwards).
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 10:08 pm
Well, Mama, Karl and Dick and I agree that the longer and longer nose punishment is just not presidential... so we accepted one of two other options...
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 10:34 pm
blatham<

Much thanks to you. Ever since I saw him in his flight suit in the "aircraft carrier" production, I wondered what Dubya was using as underwear.

It's amazing what one can learn on A2k. Thanks again, blatham Very Happy
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 10:36 pm
Ouch.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2003 06:33 am
williamhenry3 wrote:
blatham<

Much thanks to you. Ever since I saw him in his flight suit in the "aircraft carrier" production, I wondered what Dubya was using as underwear.

It's amazing what one can learn on A2k. Thanks again, blatham Very Happy

I don't know if I mentioned this in this thread, but just in case I didn't...

...it is worth noting that American presidents who had a distinguished career in the military before gaining the presidency never appeared in military regalia during their terms. That includes Washington, Jackson, Grant, Teddy Roosevelt, and Eisenhower.

This draft avoiding, non-military twerp dared to done a fighting mans clothing for a photo-op that would have had his supporters going apoplectic if it had been done by Bill Clinton.

Frankly I don't give a rat's ass what kind of underwear he had on -- we ought all be offended by the outer wear he sported.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2003 07:53 am
frank

Well, if you want to get all serious about the fellow, sure.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2003 08:10 am
The rebellion in the ranks of Republicans includes, most noticeably lately, those who express serious disgust with that flight suit incident, Frank. They also point out that previous presidents avoided the military look like the plague -- the relationship between military and political being something which believed should be handled extremely carefully. The signs of rightwing imperialism showed up in the little tinpot army Nixon kept in the White House and the extra decor Rehnquist decided to wear on his judicial gown. Another split between -- and we can't emphasize this too much -- conservatives and radicals.

By the way, yesterday's NYTimes had a fascinating op-ed piece by Lloyd Cutler and Co. about What If That Pennsylvania Plane Had Hit Its Apparent Target, wiping out two-thirds of Congress. Representation threatened; transition problems; quorums unreachable, etc. etc. A reminder that, in the Imperial Presidency, that hitting target might have made it so-o-o-o much easier to reign.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2003 08:17 am
Tartarin

God! What a horrid scenario. Depending on the prevailing winds blowing that morning, the entire eastern seaboard could have been infected by the resulting congressperson fine particulates.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2003 12:41 pm
That would have then been a trueWoMD because of the impending ultimate epidemic - now that I think of it - Congress, the unPresident and SCOTUS should be legally declared a WoMD Smile
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2003 01:11 pm
Inhaled DeLay? I hate to think....
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2003 01:13 pm
Hastertpox.
Zell Millerthrax.
Particles of Frist.
0 Replies

dyslexia