How Dare We Call It a War!

steissd

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2003 11:20 am
I believe that the operational commanders are ready to any development. Saddam lacks military power to cause any serious damage to the forces deployed in Kuwait.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2003 11:23 am
Well then why are we attacking him, I thought he was able to engage in the use of WMDs at will against not only his own people but the US?
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2003 11:25 am
Saddam will not do this. Meanwhile Mr. Bush proposes to him to leave Iraq and to remain alive. If he orders to attack the U.S. forces with WMD, this will be tantamount to death sentence.
0 Replies

cobalt

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2003 11:27 am
I would question the ability of the Commander in Chief to see any Iraqi flags of surrender immediately following a strike. And, even if seen, the administration would say "Oh, they don't really mean it".
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2003 11:28 am
How the hell have we come to the point where serious people will actually argue that George Bush has the right to dictate terms to people -- under penalty of Bush ordering the United States military to help him get his way?

What unimaginable change in the national psychology and sense of ethics occurred -- and when did it happen?
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2003 11:37 am
Frank
That happened when we sold our country to the highest bidder. Congress and the presidency is and has been for sale for some years now. IMOA good meal, trip to the islands and etc. can buy the vote of any congressman.
0 Replies

cobalt

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2003 12:05 pm
As this day goes on, I wonder if the votes of some who are yet to vote in this poll will be changed by the Bush address to be broadcast tonight? The spinster must be in near -tornadic levels of activity now.
0 Replies

cobalt

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2003 02:04 pm
What was I thinking!!!! Here I have been lolligagging around online and I should have been lined up right away in a gasoline rush, right? After all, that happened for 9/11 and we do expect that this (whatever-it-is) will be the reason sited for another increase at the pump, right? Gotta scoot right out now before it tips over the $2 a gallon mark.

<yeah. right.>
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2003 02:18 pm
Cobalt, who is Karla von Huben that is so much scared of the U.S. President? I mean, what does she do for living? Is she a minister in Mr. Schröder's cabinet?
0 Replies

cobalt

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2003 02:33 pm
Steissd: she is a syndicated columnist. She often posts and interacts on a global journalism forum I belong to. Go there - you may decide to suscribe to the daily digests. I find the writers there are more indepth than many other public forums, and have good links. It is moderated, so 'both sides' are heard and only 30 total posts a day are selected from all the content areas. There are rousing debated issues with civil discussion - imagine!Blue Ears Forum - A Global Journalism Forum
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2003 02:39 pm
I voted "Attack." As a person in the street commented on NPR today, the US had so much good will in the world after 9/11/01, and now it's nearly all gone. Sad...
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2003 02:42 pm
Cobalt, your link does not work: I get a "Bad Gateway" alert.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2003 02:48 pm
steissd- I got the page. Try this:
http://www.blueear.com/
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2003 02:54 pm
Has anyone noted how stocks have soared today? What does this tell us about Wall St. psychology? All the weeks of uncertainty led to losses most days. Now that war is imminent, it's buy, buy, buy.

Makes me ashamed that I own stocks via mutual funds. Guess I need to send more to charities doing good in the world to assuage my guilt...
0 Replies

Vietnamnurse

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2003 03:17 pm
D'Artagnan:

It is depressing the way the stock market zoomed up with the words from Bush that war is iminent.

I do love your avatar. My husband and I went to the George Catlin exhibit in DC at the Renwick. It was so magnificent...especially your avatar. I have forgotten his name, but I kept the program as a souvenir, it was so beautiful.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2003 03:45 pm
What is wrong in stocks market improvements? D'Artagnan is right: uncertainty is detrimental to the securities markets. Now the future seems more predictable, and investors started buying shares.
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2003 04:15 pm
Steissd - I know you're in another area of the world, but why do you see what Bush is doing as such a benefit for the entire region? When you back off for a bit, what you see is a man and his advisors looking for a way to establish dominance, and picking on what they see is the weakest link. And they will let nothing stand in their way, they are so convinced of their own power. I think the questions "Why Iraq?" and "Why now?" are appropriate, and to date have not been answered. The arrogace of saying the U.N. is not united and not relative, when, despite whatever the U.N.'s worth, they are united, and obviously relative - boggles the mind.

In an earlier thread I had raised the question of whether or not this was an invasion. I now vote for other - because I am devestated that we have come to this. Almost overnight we have reduced ourselves, lost respect and self-respect. So I think the U.S. going against Iraq is composed of many factors, but arrogance and ignorance and just plain bullying are to be considered.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2003 04:45 pm
I think that American dominant position in the region will bring peace. US is a country of big business, and business needs peace for successful operations. Let us call such a peace Pax Americana, but it is much better than Bellum Islamicum (Islamic war). This war is instrumental for bringing eternal peace to the Middle East.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2003 05:08 pm
Mama

You got it right.

We are disgracing ourselves.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2003 05:49 pm
Steissd

There may possibly be something somewhere you've written which I agree with, but I can't recall it right off.
0 Replies