MTV does not allow photo of Bush at awards show

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 01:02 pm
Quote:

Nine Inch Nails drops MTV show over Bush backdrop

Fri May 27, 9:28 PM ET

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - The rock band Nine Inch Nails said on Friday it canceled plans to appear on next week's MTV Movie Awards after the network questioned the band's plans to perform in front of an image of President Bush.

The band was slated to perform "The Hand That Feeds," the first single from its latest album.

A Los Angeles Times review called the song "a warning against blind acceptance of authority, including that of a president leading his nation to war."

"We were set to perform 'The Hand That Feeds' with an unmolested, straightforward image of George W. Bush as the backdrop. Apparently, the image of our president is as offensive to MTV as it is to me," Nine Inch Nails' leader Trent Reznor said in a statement posted on the band's Web site.

MTV said in a statement: "While we respect Nine Inch Nails' point of view, we were uncomfortable with their performance being built around a partisan political statement. When we discussed our discomfort with the band, their choice was to unfortunately pull out of the Movie Awards."

MTV is owned by Viacom Inc., the corporate parent of broadcast network CBS.

SOURCE
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,915 • Replies: 78
No top replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 01:53 pm
Disparagement of the Great and Holy Leader will not be tolerated, but seriously, how would the Civil Rights Movement fared if the political statements of Bob Dylan made the radio station owners uncomfortable (not that they didn't) in 1963?

Joe(And it's a political statement, so much for the 1st Amendment)Nation
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 01:53 pm
mtv... still got that rebellious "rock 'n roll" attitude i see.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 01:56 pm
Joe Nation wrote:
Disparagement of the Great and Holy Leader will not be tolerated, but seriously, how would the Civil Rights Movement fared if the political statements of Bob Dylan made the radio station owners uncomfortable (not that they didn't) in 1963?

Joe(And it's a political statement, so much for the 1st Amendment)Nation

dammit joe, in the post 9/11 world, nobody must ever be made uncomfortable or encouraged to think!

wuttha hellzwrongwithyoo,boyeee ?!?!?

Laughing
0 Replies

rayban1

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 03:01 pm
JustanO

Since I'm a newbie here I would like to hear your commentary on why you think this is an important political item and why we should hear it. While you're at it I would like to hear your opinion of the real reason "long nails" attempted to use Bush's photo as a backdrop and whether or not MTV management acted responsibly.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 04:02 pm
Nine inch Nails is doing what Rock musicians are supposed to do. MTV is a corporate sterile institution that profits by stripping music of its roots and it's soul.

This is an important political item because the Bush Administration is a disaster. But, like so many other bad leaders, Bush has the talent to use over-simplified nationalistic rhetoric to get near half the country to go along with him without thinking.

The American public needs to understand and face the truth.

And who is in a position to accomplish this important task? Historically, much of this crucial work has been done by musicians.

Look at the classic Rock songs that were written for just such a time. "Blowin' in the Wind", "Give Peace a Chance", and even "War (what is it good for)" are now known by all Americans. Other lesser known protest songs are just as important. If you haven't listened to "Alice's Restaurant" recently, you should.

But the roots of this music are deep in protest songs. "This land is your land" (Pete Seeger) and before that "Strange Fruit". "We shall overcome" was a standard of several generations struggling to achieve a better America with greater liberty and peace.

And the American classic "The Battle hymn of the Republic" is perhaps the best known example of music making important polical statements.

Two stanza's to this song read...

Quote:

I have read a fiery gospel writ in burnished rows of steel:
"As ye deal with my contemners, so with you my grace shall deal;
Let the Hero, born of woman, crush the serpent with his heel,
Since God is marching on."

In the beauty of the lilies Christ was born across the sea,
With a glory in his bosom that transfigures you and me:
As he died to make men holy, let us die to make men free,
While God is marching on.

For those who are wondering, these quite controversial (for the times) ideas were no accident. The writer, Julia Ward Howe, was a prominant progressive, active in both the woman's sufferage and the abolitionist movements.

Music has always been deeply connected with political protest. For MTV to try to sterilze music is to strip it of its very soul.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 04:15 pm
Well yeah, I noticed that when Dylan's Rainy Day Women was banished (along with Dylan) in the 60's from the airwaves his popularity increased immensely so, Rave On MTV, may prod me to buy their cd.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 05:18 pm
You would think so wouldn't you dys? But it don't seem to happen that way now. Look at the poor Dixie chicks. It's like these people have some kind of chokehold over the hearts, minds and will of the people.

Some of Bush's power to blind people seems to have lessened but not enough for people to have a movement to stop this current movement that is in progress. (Least that is how I see it)

Someone on some other thread about some other subject had this list that explained what fascism was. I read it and I thought, wow if that don't just be a laundry list of all the views that have been expressed from the administration and his supporters both here in this forum and on TV.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 05:27 pm
When Clinton was President--or re any other President I didn't like or didn't personally respect--

I think it is wrong to use the image of a President in such a manner, and would not support it no matter which one it was. There are more legitimate ways of showing displeasure with a President. The Office of the President of the US may sometimes deserve more respect than the man who temporarily works there. Opinions vary on when those times occur.

I'm glad MTV chose not to do it.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 06:00 pm
MTV
Musical Terrorist Victims

It's a goddam sad day when the White House has even got rock music cowed and frightened. Seig Heil mother f**ker Evil or Very Mad Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

JustanObserver

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 06:14 pm
rayban1 wrote:
JustanO

Since I'm a newbie here I would like to hear your commentary on why you think this is an important political item and why we should hear it. While you're at it I would like to hear your opinion of the real reason "long nails" attempted to use Bush's photo as a backdrop and whether or not MTV management acted responsibly.

I'm facinated that you care so much about me. As for an answer though, I'll say "no."
You can figure it out.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 06:54 pm
Quote:
MTV said in a statement: "While we respect Nine Inch Nails' point of view, we were uncomfortable with their performance being built around a partisan political statement.

Lash writes:
Quote:
There are more legitimate ways of showing displeasure with a President

Now read both these quotes carefully, MTV objects to a partisan political statement and Lash assumes they mean a negative statement, but they don't say that, do they? If the Dixie Chicks had a change of brain, uh, heart and decided to sing a song called "We love the Man from Crawford", would that be allowable? Damned straight, I would guess, but that too would be a partisan political statement. Right?

So let's remember these lessons, class, because it won't be long before they come for your laptops:

Art is no longer an appropriate method of expressing ideas, please find some ways more legitimate. (Apply at the State Office of Legitimate Thoughts)

and

If you can't say something nice about the President, you don't get to say anything at all. (Why does this remind me of his campaign appearances??)

(BTW Woody Guthrie wrote This Land is My Land, a title that grows more ironic every day.)

Joe(Watch it, kiddos, they are stealing your Republic)Nation
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 06:55 pm
Dear MTV

,sniff sniff> I smell pussy.

Your friend

Steve
0 Replies

JustanObserver

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 07:16 pm
An unaltered photo of Bush, no less.

Hilarious.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 07:20 pm
I think it is likely that MTV knew that the poster of Bush wouldn't remain unmolested.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 07:21 pm
They have special powers at MTV to see into the future.
0 Replies

Chrissee

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 07:30 pm
Lash wrote:
When Clinton was President--or re any other President I didn't like or didn't personally respect--

I think it is wrong to use the image of a President in such a manner, and would not support it no matter which one it was. There are more legitimate ways of showing displeasure with a President. The Office of the President of the US may sometimes deserve more respect than the man who temporarily works there. Opinions vary on when those times occur.

I'm glad MTV chose not to do it.

So much for free speech.
0 Replies

Chrissee

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 07:32 pm
Can you imagine what they would do to Sinead OConner tearing up a picture of the pope?
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 07:32 pm
They can do it outside.

MTV doesn't want to underwrite it.

They have that right.

You can't say anything you please here. Does that violate your right to free speech? You can't do as you please on someone else's dime.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 07:34 pm
I believe that Nine Inch Nails understands that principle, which is why they have withdrawn.
0 Replies