Are "vs. questions" and/or "vs. discussions" allowed here on Able2know?

Olivier5

Thu 25 Jul, 2019 07:46 am
In Milo Manara's "HP and Giuseppe Berman", the mysterious, self-titled "adventure master” HP stands for Italian godfather of all cartoonists Hugo Pratt, whom Manara worshipped and with whom he would ultimately write Indian Summer. Giuseppe Berman stands for Manara himself: a man longing for, but unable to fully "live" a satisfying adventure.

Here is a plate representing HP as "adventure master". Note the Melville quote.
https://www.milomanara.it/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/gb2.jpg
0 Replies

izzythepush

Thu 25 Jul, 2019 07:56 am
@Rebelofnj,
I'm not surprised, he doesn't seem to do a lot of thinking for himself. I get the impression someone else is providing him with the quotes.

He only recently became aware of elections other than the presidential ones and was of the opinion that inflation could be eradicated without severely damaging the economy.

Welcome to A2K btw, I hope you stick around, there's a lot of nice people here.
JGoldman10

Thu 25 Jul, 2019 09:07 am
@Olivier5,
I'm a Christian. I am not interested in SMUT.
Rebelofnj

Thu 25 Jul, 2019 09:08 am
@izzythepush,
Apparently, he is reclusive and lives a sheltered life, so he is not up to date with pop culture and current events, as well as he doesn't want to keep up with "secular junk". Which doesn't really make sense due to the fact he has had access to the internet all this time.

Throughout my conversations with him, it is apparent that he is ignorant on certain subjects, despite his age and his studies. He says he is a Born Again Christian who is not part of any denomination.

He also has a habit of bringing up his disgust of homosexuality out of nowhere and without provocation, as you know.
izzythepush

Thu 25 Jul, 2019 09:17 am
@Rebelofnj,
At times I can be quite fond of him. He recently said that priority should be given to mining space diamonds.

Nobody else comes out with stuff like that. If it wasn't for his disgusting homophobia he could be quite a nice person.

Religious wise I get the feeling there's a small group of them inspired by some charismatic preacher, a bit like the set up in Oranges Are Not The Only Fruit.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Thu 25 Jul, 2019 09:18 am
@JGoldman10,
Just not the sort of Christian who pays any attention to the words of Christ.
JGoldman10

Thu 25 Jul, 2019 09:24 am
@izzythepush,
There is no condemnation for those of us in Christ (Romans 8:1).
Judge not, that ye be not judged. For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you (Matthew 7:1-3).

Are you a Christian Izzy? You have no right to try to judge me if you aren't.
JGoldman10

Thu 25 Jul, 2019 09:45 am
@Rebelofnj,
Someone posted a GAY SUPERHERO PIC in this thread. That is what set me off. I wouldn't be talking about homosexuality if that didn't happen.

Should I keep up with "secular junk"? By "secular junk" I am referring to CULTURE.

I am not completely ignorant of the culture of the WORLD. I do know a little bit about it. I read and watch stuff online, and listen to stuff on TV and on the radio. I used to read the newspaper regularly, then I reduced that to just getting the Sunday edition. I used to buy the paper every day, including the Sunday paper. We used to get the paper delivered daily then we just got the Sunday paper delivered each week. The main reason I got the Sunday paper was to look at the classified section. Eventually my family and I cancelled our newspaper subscription- we were paying too much money for it.

I can just look at read the paper online. I don't need a subscription.

I am not talking about technology. There's nothing wrong with using tech as long as it's used for something GOOD.

My pastor keeps up-to-date on modern tech. He is on social media, has an email address, his own ministry website, and streams his services every week.
Olivier5

Thu 25 Jul, 2019 09:52 am
@JGoldman10,
Tartuffe said the same thing.
Rebelofnj

Thu 25 Jul, 2019 09:57 am
@JGoldman10,
You could have just ignored the pic and moved on.

Instead, you went on a rant and now people are aware what they can do if they want to make you angry.
Olivier5

Thu 25 Jul, 2019 10:19 am
@Rebelofnj,
Quote:
You could have just ignored the pic and moved on.

I suspect Goldman is unconsciously attracted to homosexuality, which would be why he couldn't ignore this pic but rather had to mention it again and again.
izzythepush

Thu 25 Jul, 2019 10:21 am
@JGoldman10,
You're the one doing the judging. I wouldn't call you a Christian because to do so would insult Christ and I'm not prepared to do that.

There are far more important things going on right now, global warming, the rise of the far right, global terrorism etc than what people get up to in the privacy of their own rooms.

I have every right to point out hatemongering bigots who want to make the World a much nastier place.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Thu 25 Jul, 2019 10:25 am
@Olivier5,
What are you referring to? What did he say?
JGoldman10

Thu 25 Jul, 2019 10:26 am
@Olivier5,
Some people think it's GAY to be attracted to STRAIGHT TOMBOYS.
How is that gay?

I do not want to see two dudes kissing.
JGoldman10

Thu 25 Jul, 2019 10:29 am
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

Someone posted a GAY SUPERHERO PIC in this thread. That is what set me off. I wouldn't be talking about homosexuality if that didn't happen.

Should I keep up with "secular junk"? By "secular junk" I am referring to CULTURE.

I am not completely ignorant of the culture of the WORLD. I do know a little bit about it. I read and watch and listen to stuff online, watch and listen to stuff on TV and listen to stuff on the radio. I used to read the newspaper regularly, then I reduced that to just getting the Sunday edition. I used to buy the paper every day, including the Sunday paper. We used to get the paper delivered daily then we just got the Sunday paper delivered each week. The main reason I got the Sunday paper was to look at the classified section. Eventually my family and I cancelled our newspaper subscription- we were paying too much money for it.

I can just look at and read the paper online. I don't need a subscription.

I am not talking about technology. There's nothing wrong with using tech as long as it's used for something GOOD.

My pastor keeps up-to-date on modern tech. He is on social media, has an email address, his own ministry website, and streams his services every week.

-FIXED.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Thu 25 Jul, 2019 10:29 am
@JGoldman10,
And some people think Jesus preached hate.
Rebelofnj

Thu 25 Jul, 2019 10:34 am
@JGoldman10,
No one mentioned tomboys except you.
Olivier5

Thu 25 Jul, 2019 10:39 am
@JGoldman10,
You can read it here:
http://www.gutenberg.org/files/28488/28488-h/28488-h.htm
(the character of Tartuffe appears in act 3, scene 2)
Rebelofnj

Thu 25 Jul, 2019 10:48 am
@Olivier5,
For anyone who doesn't want to read the play, here is a summary of the selected scene

Tartuffe gives Dorine a handkerchief and urges her to cover her chest with it lest she inspire impure thoughts.
Dorine replies that his piety must be very weak if even the sight of her excites him—even if she saw him “naked as a beast,” she says, she would not feel tempted by him.

Personally, I would have used the Disney song Hellfire. It has the same idea.
https://youtu.be/U3NoDEu7kpg
JGoldman10

Thu 25 Jul, 2019 11:04 am
@izzythepush,
Jesus hated what some people did. He rebuked people.