Do you think there will ever be any official DC/Marvel crossovers outside of comics?

Reply Thu 11 Jul, 2019 12:11 pm
Hi. I am just a bit curious about this. For decades there's been various DC and Marvel crossovers in the comics, both officially and unofficially. The last major crossover in the comics was the JLA/Avengers crossover which came out over a decade ago.

I know DC is owned by Warner Bros. and Marvel is officially owned by Disney now.

Do you think we will ever see an official DC/Marvel crossover in other media? I know DC's and Marvel's respective parent companies would have to agree to do such crossover(s), reach certain licensing agreements and cut through a lot of legal red tape to do so.

I saw these video clips and was impressed:

These look like these could actually be parts of a major Hollywood movie.

That would be interesting to see such official crossovers in film and/or TV, live-action and/or animation, or even in video games. People would no longer have to make Mugen crossover games. People would no longer have to resort to doing parodies, which are protected under Fair Use, in order to do crossovers in film and/or TV, or make any kind of fan projects.

Please help- thank you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 4,854 • Replies: 64

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 11 Jul, 2019 12:46 pm
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

I know DC is owned by Warner Bros. and Marvel is officially owned by Disney now.

You literally answered your own question. And unless Disney buys Warner Bros... or more importantly, ATT which owns Warner Bros. than no. It will never happen. Warner Bros probably would have to go bankrupt and sell DC to save its corporate life in order for Disney to pick up the rights to all the DC characters, etc.... We're a long way from that as Warner Bros is moving to open HBO Max, it's ultimate streaming service that will make the likes of DC Universe obsolete. SO, a lot is depending on how they succeed or fail in this department.

Quote:
Please help- thank you.

I will never understand why you add this to many of your posts. There's no one here that can facilitate making this crossover. No one here has the networking power to arrange the appropriate meeting of the two corporate overlords associated with these two colossal IPs.

I do appreciate your courteous sensibilities to these threads though....
JGoldman10

Reply Thu 11 Jul, 2019 05:22 pm
@tsarstepan,
What's "ATT"?
chai2

Reply Thu 11 Jul, 2019 10:27 pm
@JGoldman10,
Oh Jesus goldman, are you kidding?

google att and see what you come up with.

I mean, seriously.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Fri 12 Jul, 2019 01:24 am
@tsarstepan,
Did you mean AT&T? When did AT&T buy the rights to WB?
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 12 Jul, 2019 05:51 am
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

Did you mean AT&T? When did AT&T buy the rights to WB?

The rights? The bought the entire studio when it bought up Time Warner.
AT&T wraps up Time Warner purchase, ushering in new era for Warner Bros., CNN and HBO
JGoldman10

Reply Fri 12 Jul, 2019 07:10 am
@tsarstepan,
CRAP. Mad

I heard DISNEY bought FOX. That's JUST as bad.
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 12 Jul, 2019 07:38 am
@JGoldman10,
Given the relative tepid mess and disappointment that was X-Men Apocalypse and Dark Phoenix? Fox needs to lose executive studio control over the X-Men franchise.
JGoldman10

Reply Sat 13 Jul, 2019 08:42 pm
@tsarstepan,
That makes no sense to me. Why does more than one studio outside of Disney own the rights to some of the Marvel cinematic properties?
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 15 Jul, 2019 06:12 am
@JGoldman10,
You really don't pay attention to the news I guess? How have you not known that Fox owned X-Men rights; Sony owns the rights to Spider-Man; etc.... This has been common knowledge for decades.

Marvel, decades ago, when they were struggling financially sold the rights of differing comic book lines and characters to whomever wanted it. The respective studios (already mentioned) used those rights (and well ... had them for however long the corporate agreement stated).

When Disney came in to buy up Marvel, they could only get the rights to IP that weren't already signed away to Fox and Sony. So... they went ahead and bought most of the creative wing(s) from the parent Fox corp thus getting the X-Men rights to Disney.

This isn't a conspiracy. This is all public information. For someone who claims to love comics, I'm surprised you haven't tripped over these facts years ago.
JGoldman10

Reply Mon 15 Jul, 2019 09:17 am
@tsarstepan,
No, because I don't keep up with comic book movies. I am not a big fan of them. I didn't say I loved comics. I said I wanted to produce my own.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Mon 15 Jul, 2019 11:23 am
@tsarstepan,
I've expressed an interest in wanting to produce my own comics. I never said I was a big comics fan.
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 15 Jul, 2019 11:30 am
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

I've expressed an interest in wanting to produce my own comics. I never said I was a big comics fan.

You do realize you're repeating yourself. I got you the first time you posted that (the previous posting ... literally right above this one).
https://i.imgur.com/pvW0FGV.jpg
JGoldman10

Reply Mon 15 Jul, 2019 11:49 am
@tsarstepan,
I was clarifying. I don't actively read comics. I don't personally own a comics collection. I occasionally read online ones. I've seen video showcases of comics. Whatever I know about comics I get from being online.

I have not bought and read any comics in years.

I have been to my local nearby comic shop a few times on Free Comic Book Day and picked up a few comics. I never went that often and I haven't been back since.

I tried finding out about how to approach comic industry pros- creators, writers, artists, publishers, editors, etc., about getting funding for your own comics, and about breaking into comics when going to Comicon and other comic book conventions. I have never been to any and I have yet to do that.

I've tried doing research on grants, awards and other monies for comic book creators, writers and artists and on various types of venues to get the funding I need but I never kept up with it. I recall contacting certain foundations about potential funding but had little success with that.

I am still interested in pursuing getting the proper training, materials, resources, tools, and the funding I need to professionally produce my own comics.

I hope this is clear.
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Reply Sun 4 Aug, 2019 07:44 pm
@JGoldman10,
As mentioned, you have answered your own question. It is impossible because of the two competing studios. Intercompany crossovers in film are rare due to the numerous legal issues and the multiple studios involved.

Plus, both WB and Disney are focusing on their own comic film/TV properties to be successful.

Besides, fans are still going to make unofficial works and fan art, even if the creators make an official crossover.
JGoldman10

Reply Mon 5 Aug, 2019 07:38 am
@Rebelofnj,
Why impossible? There were two times in animation history WB and Disney officially crossed over- when they collabed on Who Framed Roger Rabbit, and on the animated TV special Cartoon All-Stars To The Rescue.

I am aware of the fact that when studios do crossover films, they have to go through a whole bunch of legal red tape to make that happen.

Since DC and Marvel are owned by WB and Disney respectively, how and why would a comic movie crossover be any different?

I think the main issue would be a fan demand. Would there be a big enough fan demand for one?

Would comic fans settle for an animated comic crossover film, or would they prefer a live-action one?
JGoldman10

Reply Mon 5 Aug, 2019 07:41 am
@Rebelofnj,
By "works" I assume you mean fanmade things like movies and video games. I've seen a handful of clips from crossover Mugen games online.

I know there were 4 decades of DC/Marvel crossover comics produced because both DC and Marvel needed the money and publicity.

I assume before Disney bought Marvel, DC was more successful with their comics and comics-related media.
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Reply Mon 5 Aug, 2019 09:01 am
@JGoldman10,
You missed the key word in my post: rare. I also talked about this at least twice https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20190711165246AAfhNe2

I know about Who Framed Roger Rabbit. You have talked about it many times for many years. But that film is a rare example of studios working together. And that film only happened because the main characters are from the original novel and are owned by both WB and Disney, instead of one of the more famous characters available.

For a DC/Marvel crossover film, the studios will want to use the more famous heroes as the main characters, instead of creating a audience surrogate character.

Here is an explanation from Marvel Comics editor Tom Brevoort about the current difficulties of making a crossover. https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/marvel-and-dc-team-up-an-oral-history-of-jlaavengers-the-most-ambitious-crossover-event
Quote:
Now, with both Marvel and DC being integrated multi-platform companies, the inter-mingling of competing IP is a much more complicated and complex situation, along with the fact that you wind up spending considerable resources on a project for which you only recoup half of the eventual profits (and that you cannot utilize across other lines of business beyond the publishing) make it a lot more difficult to justify. It's hard to justify both the allocation of resources and also the difficulties of navigating the politics between two competing corporate giants. So it's not impossible that it could never happen again, but the factors against it happening are considerable.

Marvel and Disney is spending much time and resources on their Phase 4/5 films and the new Marvel shows on Disney+. DC and WB are still restructuring the DCEU film plans, as well as managing their own streaming service and the DC crossover event in December 2019. Making a movie crossover, animated or live action, is much more expensive than a comic crossover.
JGoldman10

Reply Mon 5 Aug, 2019 06:27 pm
@Rebelofnj,
Warner Bros. owns part of the rights to the original Gary Wolf novel? Since when, and where are you getting that from?

What do you mean by "audience surrogate character"?
Rebelofnj

Reply Mon 5 Aug, 2019 06:59 pm
@JGoldman10,
My mistake. Disney and Spielberg's company Amblin Entertainment have the rights to Roger Rabbit.

An audience surrogate is a character who represents the audience and asks questions about the other characters and the world.

Dr. Watson from the Sherlock Holmes stories is a classic example.

In my original post, I meant that if WB and Disney were to make a crossover film, they would need to use an audience surrogate or a completely original character because each studio would want their heroes as the lead character.