Do you think there will ever be any official DC/Marvel crossovers outside of comics?

JGoldman10

Reply Tue 6 Aug, 2019 08:52 pm
@Rebelofnj,
Not counting those superhero-themed parodies they had on the MAD animated series on CN, I think the closest we've had to intercompany crossovers between DC and Marvel in any DC or Marvel cartoons were shoutouts and/or references to the opposing company's characters and properties.

I recall in one episode of Superman: The Animated Series Supergirl makes a Spider-Man reference, and in one episode of the Spider-Man animated series from the '90s Spider-man makes a Superman reference.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 7 Aug, 2019 12:56 am
@JGoldman10,
Discrimination has been going on for a very long time, they were known as Blaxploitation films for a reason, black people played stereotypical roles, pimp, gangster etc. not doctor or lawyer.
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Reply Wed 7 Aug, 2019 06:13 am
@JGoldman10,
Honestly, if there is any kind of superhero parody or a deconstruction from any company, they are bound to reference a DC/Marvel superhero, or even make a parody of the heroes.

The Boys (comic published by Dynamite, adapted as an Amazon TV series) has the superhero team The Seven, which is a dark parody of the Justice League.

The Venture Bros (Adult Swim animated show) has The Crusaders Action League, which is an Avengers parody, as well as Captain Sunshine, a parody of Superman and Batman.
JGoldman10

Reply Wed 7 Aug, 2019 12:12 pm
@Rebelofnj,
DC and Marvel characters are iconic. They are ingrained into American pop culture.
JGoldman10

Reply Wed 7 Aug, 2019 12:34 pm
@Rebelofnj,
https://comicbook.com/marvel/2018/04/06/arrowverse-tv-the-cw-easter-eggs-marvel-mcu/
Rebelofnj

Reply Wed 7 Aug, 2019 01:39 pm
@JGoldman10,
Most of that is just names being mentioned. There are hundreds of other non-superhero films and tv shows that mention superhero names.

The new Fast and Furious film mentioned Superman multiple times.
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 7 Aug, 2019 01:41 pm
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

DC and Marvel characters are iconic. They are ingrained into American pop culture.

You might be the FIRST person to ever discover this fact. This revelation is staggering!
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Reply Wed 7 Aug, 2019 01:56 pm
@JGoldman10,
Well, duh. You're point out the obvious.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Wed 7 Aug, 2019 10:50 pm
@Rebelofnj,
I think the Teen Titans Go! cartoon made a number of Marvel references in a handful of episodes. I'm not sure.

I think it's weird they can get away with name-dropping.
JGoldman10

Reply Thu 8 Aug, 2019 08:44 am
@Rebelofnj,
I wasn't talking about non-superhero shows and films.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Thu 8 Aug, 2019 08:52 am
@Rebelofnj,
There are a number of characters that are analogues of DC and Marvel characters in Venture Bros.

Brown Widow is a parody of Spider-Man.

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/ShoutOut/TheVentureBrothers:

"Captain Sunshine and the rest of the Action News Team/Super Gang are based on the Freedom Fighters, a relatively obscure team of DC Comics heroes — Captain Sunshine himself is the Ray, US Steel is Uncle Sam, Brown Thrasher is the Black Condor, Ghost Robot is the Human Bomb, and Barbie Q is Firebrand."

"Fat Chance is a parody of a somewhat obscure Flash villain called Chunk."

There are characters who are analogues to characters from other comic book publishers also.
Rebelofnj

Reply Thu 8 Aug, 2019 09:32 am
@JGoldman10,
I know about the superhero parodies on Venture Bros. I watch the show, which is why I mentioned them in the first place.

Why are you explaining something i know about?
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 8 Aug, 2019 09:58 am
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

I think the Teen Titans Go! cartoon made a number of Marvel references in a handful of episodes. I'm not sure.

Good grief! Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
It's tongue-in-cheek references. Satire is covered under the 1st Amendment. They don't need permission to drop mere words or reference a character. Name dropping isn't the same as depicting the character in its entirety and have him or her actually be in a given rival corporate production. More often than not, the creators of such references actually take these references at face value and ... sometimes enjoy the name dropping (even if it may or may not be a light insult or even a damnable dig ... as long as it has a hint of humor in the reference).
Rebelofnj

Reply Thu 8 Aug, 2019 10:01 am
@JGoldman10,
Quote:

There is nothing legally that prevents a company to name-drop a rival company's products. That is why many shows and movies have shout outs and references about other shows and movies. It is all pop culture.
JGoldman10

Reply Fri 9 Aug, 2019 07:12 pm
@Rebelofnj,
I guess they can get away with that if they aren't bad-mouthing anything.

Over the years, you've seen Warner Bros. make Disney references in their cartoon shows, and Disney making Warner Bros. references in theirs.

WB has made Disney references in Looney Tunes: Back In Action and in Space Jam. Aside from Roger Rabbit I don't think Disney ever made any other cartoon movies with any WB references in them.

In live-action sitcoms, you can see people use real brand-name products, but you never see them putting the products down.
JGoldman10

Reply Fri 9 Aug, 2019 07:25 pm
@tsarstepan,
Is Fair Use protected under the First Amendment?
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Reply Fri 9 Aug, 2019 09:15 pm
@JGoldman10,
You're confusing product placement (companies paying the studio to use their products) with shout outs (the mere mention of a known product or property).

To repeat: there is nothing legally preventing companies to name-drop a rival company's products and properties. Why is that hard to understand?

Deadpool 2 made numerous swipes towards DC Comics. The Lego Batman Movie had the line "Iron Man Sucks". Also, as I mentioned, this is not limited to superhero films and shows; other types of movies and shows make references to other movies and shows.
Rebelofnj

Reply Fri 9 Aug, 2019 09:22 pm
@JGoldman10,
Quote:
don't think Disney ever made any other cartoon movies with any WB references in them

In general. Disney avoids making pop culture jokes and references in their Animated Canon and Pixar films (Aladdin's Genie and Wreck It Ralph being notable exceptions) to prevent them from being too dated.

That said, Disney's Hercules clearly mimics Superman's origin story: otherworldly being raised by a human couple, leaves home to be a hero.
JGoldman10

Reply Fri 9 Aug, 2019 09:24 pm
@Rebelofnj,
Do you think the Pulp Fiction reference in Space Jam made that movie too dated?
JGoldman10

Reply Fri 9 Aug, 2019 09:27 pm
@Rebelofnj,
Rebelofnj wrote:

Deadpool 2 made numerous swipes towards DC Comics. The Lego Batman Movie had the line "Iron Man Sucks". Also, as I mentioned, this is not limited to superhero films and shows; other types of movies and shows make references to other movies and shows.

The Teen Titans Go! movie had a number of Marvel references in it. They purposely confused Slade with Deadpool and made a joke about it.
0 Replies