De Stijl!! What style of art do you favor and why?

ehBeth

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2005 08:59 pm
My trip to New York City was very much a looking at entries and walls and rooftops and fire escapes adventure (260+ pix at ImageShack are the evidence)

I sometimes have to be reminded that there are wonderful things around me - that I don't have to travel to NYC (though I will again) to look at buildings.

When I was in high school, we had some kind of math project - I have no idea what it was about, really - but I spent a weekend with two friends, riding our bicycles around town - taking photographs of arches and triangles in architecture. Musta been geometry, I guess. In any case, it was a great project, in that it opened my eyes to looking at buildings in different ways.

I still look for arches and triangles.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2005 09:08 pm
Well, me too. I look at the buildings and the streets and the inbetweens and how the buildings relate and how people use them and what are the yards, if any.

A friend and I took about 1200 photos of the walk-streets in Venice, California. One of these days we have to write it up. There was a kind of music in the movement of structure and colors and plants and spaces of the houses and yards, and what was in the yards, and how the people lived there as we checked out the walkstreets, over and over. A yellow house on one property with a yellow flowering plant in the next, and that place had a something that related in some way to what was next door, by happenstance. All of this area has been under change because of increasing, ne catapulting real estate values, so that our thousand plus pictures are now history.

Ah, my point is, I share your interest.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2005 09:14 pm
An agglutinant of Looky-Loo's.

If anyone is so inclined in the coming days--consider taking a look at Vivien's links--and check out her style preference--and let's see if we can possibly find her links of American artists who paint similarly.

I don't know many--but you two are chock full.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2005 09:21 pm
Yeah, but I am way busy this weekend, even if I post here as a steam valve. Will try to think of some folks who may interest Vivien after Monday. Nag me if I fade away.

In the meantime, does no one at all ever look at my gallery links, which I update every two weeks? Some of those links have fascinating alleys of exploration... some really good artists. And by now I've posted something like 30 times, er, by myself.

http://able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=47918&highlight=
The rest of you can add galleries too...

I post not just for the gallery or the museum, but the specific show, but most of the gallery links have lists of artists and many of those lists are very interesting. I tend to only link to the websites that are navigable, if it takes a bit of getting used to. If you are perplexed, click on something, and it may lead to more... but either Artists or Exhibitions usually leads somewhere useful.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2005 09:23 pm
I started looking at it.

I'll force Vivien to, as well.

<dusting off tire iron>
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2005 09:27 pm
Ah, I edited and commented more, lash.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2005 09:35 pm
To clarify-- I really do like that link, osso.

Twas tweaking.

It's very informative and pretty.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2005 09:46 pm
The place where I get most of the links is easily available, artupdate.com - for a shortcut, or longer. I go through all the links on that and pick the picturesque ones with an eye to diversity. But we all know there are another 100,000 links and many many many more locales.

As I run across them, I add stuff I see that seems interesting - or I would do that more if anyone seemed interested. I think people here don't actually look at forum features.... it is more google viewers who do that.

If anyone wants to riff on any artist or place in the links, we can start new topics....
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2005 09:50 pm
I have a similar routine going with a similarly small audience re architecture and land use, in the General forum. And many of those links are easily available from archnewsnow.com - I signed up for a newsletter from them and have never been sorry. There are a few more folks interested in that than the art links, though.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2005 09:52 pm
Plus, I'd like to diversify sources... while being beyond grateful to the sites I've linked already.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2005 11:14 pm
I suppose, everone has her/his favourite onlne (and offline) sources for art.

Online I like this one, while offline I'm still stuck (=subscribed) to an old fashioned art and exhibition magazine :wink:
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2005 11:37 pm
That's interesting, Walter. I had horrible trouble with Artdaily repeatedly sometime back, and gave up, upon repeated tries. This link you give now looks great.

I may remember exactly what the repeated problem was, given a day or two. But if they are accessible now, more power to them...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2005 11:41 pm
Offline, I get Art News, which I like a lot - it fits with me anyway, a mix of ease and challenge. Not radical, if you are looking for that.
That's just a basic keep-up. I can't afford a bunch of magazines, sadly, as I like magazines.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2005 07:26 am
i checked out Osso's link just before I saw the tyre iron Shocked - Phew narrow escape!

I'm going to spend some time later following all the links.

I think one of the problems with that Art News thingy is that you have to read it 'fresh' as the articles on pages other than the first one disappear and you can't re-read them. I had it for a while but stopped as it was no good if I was busy and didn't read them on the day.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2005 07:32 am
Well. I'm glad I didn't have to come over there.

I'm not sure Homeland Security would have allowed me to travel with my tire iron...

<tee hee>
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2005 08:43 am
Yes, that was the trouble I had with Art Daily - they would have this long list of articles from days' past with links that I couldn't access.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2005 02:24 pm
Coming back to Lash's headline.

I like "De Stijl" as well, sometimes even better that its 'successor', the Bauhaus.

Mondrian, but van Doesberg (who published the magazine 'De Stijl') as well, and the architecture by Oud.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2005 05:33 pm
I think that was a neat bunch of people. I need to research a bit more--but Steiglitz (sp) and some of the other guys (who's names escape me right now) seemed like incredibly forward thinking, full people.

Der Bleu Reiter group--and the Bauhaus-- Must read more.

Nimh lived in Utrecht (sp), where the De Stijl house is. Sort of reminds me of a Frank Lloyd Wright--with the clean lines...
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2005 05:40 pm
Happened upon some basic info and Q & A's ...while looking for Alfred Stieglitz.

Some characteristics of de Stijl period--some founding members of the style...

Snippets.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2005 10:31 pm
Oh, I used to love the Blue Reiters.....

I once had a calendar that featured different paintings by various Blue Reiter folks, and I cut it up and framed each picture. That was at least a decade before I ever took a drawing class.. I'm not sure I had even had basic art history yet.
0 Replies