De Stijl!! What style of art do you favor and why?

ossobuco

Reply Sat 28 May, 2005 08:12 pm
To explain, I have a ba in Bacteriology, not good for art unless you actually liked looking in microscopes a lot, and I do - constantly changing visual fields. I took many courses in studio art and not many in art history. My art history knowledge is primarily from selfdriven interest. Not that I am apologizing...
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 02:58 pm
I'm enjoying an introduction to art, and the regal journey through really lovely work to find what speaks to me--and what draws me--and other people--to certain works of art over others.

I'm finding I'm rather simplistic in my tastes.

I like ocher. What can I say. Some colors give me calm, or warmth. I like a mossy green, as well.

Another personal preference is pencil--or other fine markings in the painting. That detail. And, weather is always a plus. A sky, not empty.

Like here.

http://www.artchive.com/graphics/the_mill.jpg
Rembrandt's The Mill. This has at least two of the characteristics that are pleasing to me.

Wyeth uses earth tones and stark white--which I also enjoy, and detailed fine markings.

Anyone else with specific things they find appealing in art?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 03:10 pm
On color, well, I suppose I like all colors. It is the company colors keep that is interesting, what color is next to what other color, in what proportions, and in what manner the colors resound... whether a painting (or whatever art) is representational or abstract.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 03:14 pm
osso--

When you happen upon a mix of colors that you especially like--would you give a link--or bring it? Just whenever.

Thanks.

I feel like pointing out favored art is like another layer of identification.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 03:16 pm
Like some others, I like various paintings (and painters) from various styles.

I really don't like the pre-Raphaelites, prefer much more the Romanticism to that.

Although I'm really a fan of art deco/art nouveau/vienna session, I've not so good feelings with the paintings of those periods (but own some other art pieces of those styles :wink: ).

Feininger and MirĂ³ belong to the my more modern favourites, Hundertwasser as well.

In originals, we just have some paintings by only nationally known artists ... and I buy now and then the one or other (maritime related) engravings.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 03:16 pm
Sure.

And sometime today I'll try to get back on listing art I like, probably an endless task.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 03:18 pm
There's an old thread you might find interesting, I'll be back in a minute with a link, Lash.

Vivien's thread "OK, can you pick 10 paintings..."
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 03:26 pm
Thanks, Walter. The styles you mentioned are favorites of ehBeth as well. I really liked the Secession.

I'll bring a couple of others you mentioned, as I have only heard of Miro from that group.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 03:50 pm
For the most part, in my life, I'm more of a fan of art that does something.

Like this Viennese Secession lamp I bought about 15 years ago - just because I thought it looked friendly (it now lives well-wrapped in a box in hamburger's basement - til I have a safe spot for it again).

http://img263.echo.cx/img263/9743/friendlylamp1ra.jpg

It casts a lovely soft red glow.
Nice to read by.

looks like a laughing cat to me from some angles
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 04:10 pm
I love art in all periods and genres -- particularly like the abstract expressionists. You can photograph subjective scenes such as landscapes although some more-or-less realistic figurative work can be inspired. If you're not tuned into abstraction, I feel it's got more to do with a mental block than anything else. I prefer not to be a slave of the past and especially in art.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 04:24 pm
Some links to pieces I mentioned earlier but didn't have images for -

Link for Cecily Barth Firestein's paintings

The Battle of San Romano by Paolo Uccello, in the Uffizi Galler
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v722/ossobuco/BattleofSanRomano50.jpg

Bonfigli's Annunciation in the Museum in Perugia
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v722/ossobuco/Bonfigli50.jpg
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 04:27 pm
I'd have to agree about dislike for Abstract Expressionism having a lot to do with barriers to things that are different than what we expect.

I used to decide if I liked art by scanning for --or maybe just zoning in on -- an aspect of the appearance of the art that I didn't like.

I didn't like many more works than I did like.

-----------
ehBeth--

I've never seen a lamp like that. Lovely. (It does look like smiling cats.) I hope you can enjoy it again soon. Would be hard to box up.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 04:41 pm
One cannot expect to connect up with every work of art they view but the more exposure to it, the more they can warm up to it. I've had many clients who at first would only buy art that was representational who eventually begin to diverse and they began to understand more modern, avant garde art. Now I can't get them to buy anything that even looks realistic.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 04:57 pm
It is a neat process.

What are your impressions of Dada?

I was told it was an artists' rebuke of WW1, and they just sort of went nuts with 'rebellion as an art form'.

Currently, this is a movement I still wince at. It just seemed indulgent and wasteful. While I'm pretty sure that's not your take on it--

<eyes wide with expectation>
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 05:05 pm
<finally I understand how to change the sizes with Photobucket.com>
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 05:05 pm
Dada is fun and considering the period it was certainly inventive. Of course, it inspired all the modern day conceptual art. I am sometimes stimulated by conceptual art when I tune into the intellectual reponse but some of it eludes me. Unlikely something I'd want to try and live with (doesn't go with many decors except the New York penthouse modern, museum look).
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 05:14 pm
I should've gotten the connection between Dada and Conceptual Art....<bleaak>

I think the reason I prefer soothing colors is because of a need to reduce stress. I don't think I'd use anything in my home that was irritating or drove me crazy to define it.

I have a couple of cheap A Wyeth knock offs that do provide me with pleasure.

Did you see Interiors? I think you did. Think we discussed it at some point. Anyway, the Geraldine Chaplin character--how she always chose whites, stark furnishings....

And, the fact that EG Marshall chose a completely different woman--with clutter and color.

I think how we surround ourselves says a bit more than the obvious.

Who will describe their interiors?

--------
osso--

I never saw the scene stretched. Can't imagine what happened. But, thanks for bringing them.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 05:23 pm
Well, it's still a little stretched, but the girl is weary now and will leave it.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 06:10 pm
My interior. Well, I have a matched set of 6 Kincaid's (Sofa Size framed in gold painted wood) not really but I do have a O'Keefe landscape, 2 Frederic Remingtons and 1 Ansel Adams. as well as an assortment of smallish objet d'art here and there. (the black velvet Elvis with the nude on the toro in the arena is on my bedroom wall).
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 06:26 pm
Okay, stop now with the Kinkade jokes -- he's already being sued to the moon. If he doesn't end up in the pen I will believe that there are higher ups in government protecting him because he's a right-wing, ultra-religious little s**t. He's bilked thousands of dummies out of their money.
0 Replies