De Stijl!! What style of art do you favor and why?

ossobuco

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 11:25 pm
framing, it's all in the framing... not as in wood frames, but in framing a moment in time or in a backyard or in a concept... it is the 'framing' of concept that makes it art.. at least for a minute.

Remember, I was a complete naysayer. I've moved on to some acceptance and very occasional excitement. But somehow the pieces I hated are more memorable - which perhaps is, of itself, an indicator...

It was Jay McCafferty's Solar Burns I first hated...
(Let's see if I can find a link. It has been a long time...
who's knows, my art/acceptance has widened. Let's see what I think now - not that that is of any use to anybody else.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 11:31 pm
Framing's an interesting issue.

The fish is unframed. Hangs with another unframed piece. Seems right in the context of things that are together in their vignette.

The Benjamin Chee Chee and Doris Cyrette were SERIOUSLY framed. Cost more than my first car to get those two framed. The cutouts in the layered mats on the Benjamin Chee Chee were designed to echo the wings. I've spent days shuffling photos/prints/paintings/objects from frame to frame to find the right companions.

The best photos I ever took of my beloved Riverdale apartment were taken from the balcony, through the windows, in. Framing.

Some of the New York pix are very time/space framed. Noticeable to me now that I look at them, without the New York excitement distracting me.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 11:34 pm
You lived in Riverdale? Thud.....
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 11:52 pm
http://www.markmooregallery.com/artists/mcc_jay/mcf_nvr.html

Well, that's what I read about around the time I had my first gallery in 1974. I think he went to a rooftop and aimed a glass at paper in a uniform way...

Okay, I'm confused.. that wasn't conceptual art, is was called Process Art.

My bad.

I bet they were connected, at least re a kind of opening up of what could be thought of as art.

This amuses me since a fellow I met at our gallery back then, part of a theater group who was subletting part of our space for a couple of days a week, went with me and a pal to an opening at LAICA, a very trendy place, LA Institute of Contemporary Art, to see an opening. (It turns out another pal had a piece at LAICA about then, but we didn't know each other, and probably would have been wary of each other at the time). The piece I remember in LAICA that night was a circle of clay mud on a floor. The art was to see it crack over time...process. I was floating somewhere around appalled and enthralled, as I liked the guy who came along.

He and I eventually married.

With a bit of distance, I got to see how watching clay crack in some kind of framework was a framing of process, which is not at all new, it's the eye on it. Still, while I could understand the framing as an act probably against whatever had gone on in art a year before, it still didn't interest me very much.

Eh, who knows. I haven't read the art history on all that.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 27 May, 2005 12:13 am
Geez, Lash. The only way I can approach this personally is to copy the list and fill it out the first time off the cuff and then add more on another edit and then correct myself and blather on this or that and then correct myself and then get another idea, and so on.

I'll start by saying I am not an art historian and that I don't dislike art historians as a general group. I am really just off on my own.
I loved it back on abuzz when art historians logged in, though I might have railed in my mind at how they didn't listen to me sometimes.
We are all sort of solipsistic. Mainly I revelled in the knowledge flying back and forth.
Despite that sense of not knowing enough to even read, I'd love to have art historians weigh in with Topics on a2k. (Plus, of course, painters and sculptors and mixed mediates)

With luck, Lightwizard will join in - his points of view are always something to pay attention to, he has an extensive background in art.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 27 May, 2005 12:52 am
I have this horrible feeling I'm repeating myself, re posts.
I beg your pardon if I do that.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 27 May, 2005 06:27 am
Amazing. I find something of value in most all styles, so long as its done well . However, I do not care to go to A Pre Raphaelite exhibit, its rather boring stuff. Maybe one Rosettis at a time, but not an entire show. I dont like their flat perspective.
My all time favorite is the Railroad art of Ted Rose, the watercolors of Edward Hopper, and the work of DeMuth and Picabia.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 27 May, 2005 05:24 pm
osso--

Anything you jot down will be of great interest. I enjoy your musings.

I will look in to Ted Rose. Already a fan of Hopper.

My favorite, A. Wyeth, is supposed to be the most widely appreciated artist in the US. Made me feel sort of mundane. I need to look more and find something I adore, that's not so run of the mill.

Kandinsky is so popular--but I swear I can't see why. Anybody really like him?--and maybe can explain the attraction?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 27 May, 2005 07:56 pm
KAndinsky--lyricism "GesumkunstwerK" like the Art speaks for itself , kinda like a modernist Courbet in his beliefs. I like kandisnky because hes gone the entire route from the Cezanne look to Miro and the colorists.

Andy Wyeth must be looked at , not so much a hyper realist but a chronicler . He can be quite an abstract artist who , its always been said. If Andy Wyeth paints a rose he kills it first'
His early waterecolors are quite, vibrant, then in the 40s he began the shift to dark, spare palettes.
I often see him painting at his Brinton Mill home near Chadds Ford Pa , and I guess hes near 90 but I often see him down by the Brandywine, in the winter, all bundled up and sketching a dead branch with berries

His last works had been an inquiry into death breeding new life. I called them "studies in compost" Very Earthtone studies of the Brandywine in sleep. hes also painted some hidden bodies in the snow , waiting to defrost (I guess)

Hes really the end of the Brandywine artists , his line is from the great illustrators likeEakins, Pyle,Schoonover, Lyendecker, Ole ManNC Wyeth, Everett Shinn,etc
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 27 May, 2005 08:05 pm
farmerman--

My jaw dropped open. Wow. You see Wyeth working.

You made such delicious comments.

osso and anyone else--

I just learned a tiny smidgeon about art, and I'm just rolling it around a bit. Don't be put off, anyone about names and styles. Everything is welcome.

I was just trying out what I've recently learned--and I'm surprised I've been so turned on by it. I hadn't really appreciated much about art before.

Thank everyone for your participation.
I'm really enjoying people sharing their favorites--especially when I don't know them yet...and get to check out an artist new to me.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 27 May, 2005 08:13 pm
I have discovered a couple of modern, post-modern things that I don't hate because of this thread, Lash, so you've done a good thing for my eye.

Off to poke around more.

Maybe come back with a few more style/design thoughts.

It certainly becomes clearer and clearer that my 'art eye' is very architecturally-based.

Which reminds me that I need to recharge the camera batteries for tomorrow's Doors Open Tomorrow event.

I am sooooo excited about Doors Open! I'd giggle if it wouldn't make me cough and hack and spew.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 27 May, 2005 08:20 pm
Wyeth is not an unapproachable guy, although hes a bit frail now. (Actually I hadnt seen him at all this past winter).
He has 2 homes on a twisty road that runs along the brandywine , and , even though its yuppie Beemer drive, most people dont look around and see whats there. Ive seen him many times in the last 20 years Ive been driving that road so I assume hes been fairly obvious to the locals. Theres a small breakfast diner called HANKS on Rt 1. Wyeth has been known to just come in and hang out with the diner people and talk.
Celebrity artists who are regionalists dont usually wind up going over the top like Warhol or Bacon. They just do their work like tradesmen and are glad that they are doing what they love.

Ive got a sketch he did of a sycamore near a creek with some stubbly branches in the snow. Its rather spare and shows so much by what it omits rather than the overdone scritchy scratch work that many of the "wannabes" do.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 27 May, 2005 08:21 pm
splain Doors Open bitte
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 27 May, 2005 08:31 pm
http://www.doorsopen.org/about/about.htm

Quote:
Doors Open Toronto is an annual weekend event coordinated by the City of Toronto Culture Division. The program allows visitors free access to architecturally and/or culturally significant properties that are either not usually open to the public, or would normally charge an entrance fee. Many locations have organized guided tours, displays and activities to enrich the visitor experience. Buildings are selected based on a number of criteria developed by the City's Culture Division. The roster of buildings reflects Toronto's built heritage and cultural diversity, ranging from War of 1812-era structures to a modern mosque and environmentally progressive 'green' buildings.

Fantastic event.

Did Doors Open in Tranna, and in my hometown last year.
The hamburgers are here this weekend - we're going to some sites/events.
I'm going to some other smaller city events later in the year.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 27 May, 2005 08:36 pm
<smiles at ehBeth>

Who knows. I may appreciate Conceptual Art before it's over.

I have to admit a great fondness for deKooning--but ONLY because I read about him--and wanted to see what he saw. Woman in Landscape is sort of ...garish---one of his wild women with her legs spread...but I like Woman....Woman on Bicycle ...nah. But, LW brought one I hadn't seen on another thread---I think Door to the Beach...or something similar. It's Yellow and Gray, and I like it.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 27 May, 2005 08:37 pm
The Masters?
Impressionism?
Post-impressionism?
Cubism?
Dada?
Surrealism?
Neo Dada?
Constructivism?
Futurism?
Pop?
International style?
Performance art?
Something else-ism?
Expressionism?
Abstract expressionism?
Earthworks?
Minimalism? (liar) <hee>

What characteristics of your preferred style affects you--and what is the effect? What does that type of art do for you?

Do you prefer soothing images, political/or social commentary, something to analyze...?

The Masters...
Sheesh, I could look all day...
I am pretty keen on - in no special order - Ambrogio Lorenzetti (Good and Bad Government), Duccio's madonnas, and Piero della Francesca (True Cross Cycle) and Paolo Uccello (Battle of San Romano).
Am drawn to Caravaggio and all his works. Bernini sculptures, his San Andrea del Quirinale church, and St. Peter's elliptical colonnade. Borromini's churches, Sant'Ivo and San Carlo Borromeo to start with.
Landini's Tortoise fountain.
Cellini's Perseus and the head of Medusa.
An annunciation painting in Perugia by Bonfigli.
Diego Velasquez, don't get me started. Well, ok, Las Meninas.

Back in a bit.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 27 May, 2005 08:49 pm
http://www.christusrex.org/www2/art/preview/carav06.jpg
An example of Caravaggio per osso--for anyone else like me, who didn't have a reference.

Lovely.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 27 May, 2005 09:00 pm
http://www.ibiblio.org/wm/paint/auth/piero/san-francesco/proof.jpg
Osso's Discovery and Proof of the True Cross. Francesca.

I love the pallette. Those hues are the most soothing to me--and I guess that warm, comfortable feeling is what I look for most from art.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 27 May, 2005 09:03 pm
Sorry for stretch. Hope we don't have any anti-stretchers among us.

If so, I'll reduce. I'd already reduced it a bit--but it transferred larger than I expected.

Still. Beautiful. I wonder how sumptuous it is in person. It is a fresco, so I bet you could just immerse in it.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 27 May, 2005 09:05 pm
It is so interesting the way these paintings tie into history.

I hadn't known that all of the paintings and sculpture from this period were religious. And, then, wealthy patron portraits. The Church had quite a strangle hold on the world then.
0 Replies