Should Women Fight in Combat?

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2005 12:56 pm
The basic argument most of us have against the practice is that we simply aren't willing to put women in harm's way like that. And, honestly, the difference between being support staff near combat, or getting to do some of the killing isn't much of a career opportunity issue. But also, since most men would find it much more psychologically difficult to point a gun at a woman and pull the trigger than at a man, the trauma inflicted on young men by asking them to kill young women is hardly worth the benefit. You think people are traumatized now when they come home from war, just wait and see what this produces.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2005 05:00 pm
I don't care if women fight. I just want their kids raised first.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2005 10:03 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
The basic argument most of us have against the practice is that we simply aren't willing to put women in harm's way like that. And, honestly, the difference between being support staff near combat, or getting to do some of the killing isn't much of a career opportunity issue. But also, since most men would find it much more psychologically difficult to point a gun at a woman and pull the trigger than at a man, the trauma inflicted on young men by asking them to kill young women is hardly worth the benefit. You think people are traumatized now when they come home from war, just wait and see what this produces.

You do know this is terribly paternalistic don't you? What you are willing or not willing to afford to women is entirely besides the point, unless you are able to impose your opinions on the general public, and, clearly, that is not the case.

You are, of course, entitled to your opinion concerning women participating in combat, but, as you have expressed it, it is an opinion that is both sexist and paternalistic and I am usually quite loathe to use such terms.

As for the trauma induced by men shooting women, what does that have to do with this issue?

The American military is hardly in a position to ban foreign women from serving in combat positions within their armed forces, and presumably you are not all that worried about the psyche of foreign male soldiers who might kill American female soldiers.
0 Replies

chiczaira

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2005 11:03 pm
I alos find it difficult to accept Brandon 9000's thesis. The testosterone or whatever is requred to win in fierce combat has been readily displayed by many women in the executive suites and in the courtrooms of America. Brandon 9000 apparently has not heard of the thousands of Russian women who fought fiercely andf bravely in World War II.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2005 11:33 pm
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

You do know this is terribly paternalistic don't you?

Couldn't care less.

Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
What you are willing or not willing to afford to women is entirely besides the point, unless you are able to impose your opinions on the general public, and, clearly, that is not the case.

I vote, and sometimes try to persaude people that I am right on forums like this.

Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
[You are, of course, entitled to your opinion concerning women participating in combat, but, as you have expressed it, it is an opinion that is both sexist and paternalistic and I am usually quite loathe to use such terms.

Sexist is often used merely to mean making rational distinctions between things that are different. You are attempting to argue with my logic by naming it, which certainly does not disprove anything I say.

Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
As for the trauma induced by men shooting women, what does that have to do with this issue?

Generally people try not to adopt practices which have highly negative consequences.

Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
The American military is hardly in a position to ban foreign women from serving in combat positions within their armed forces, and presumably you are not all that worried about the psyche of foreign male soldiers who might kill American female soldiers.

The whole practice of putting women in combat is bad. We should do our part to avoid it and hope that others will too.

I will never vote for or acquiesce to deliberately putting a female in grave physical danger, and many, many men feel the same way.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2005 11:53 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

Couldn't care less.

Well, just so we cleared that up.

Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
What you are willing or not willing to afford to women is entirely besides the point, unless you are able to impose your opinions on the general public, and, clearly, that is not the case.

I vote, and sometimes try to persaude people that I am right on forums like this.

Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
[You are, of course, entitled to your opinion concerning women participating in combat, but, as you have expressed it, it is an opinion that is both sexist and paternalistic and I am usually quite loathe to use such terms.

Sexist is often used merely to mean making rational distinctions between things that are different. You are attempting to argue with my logic by naming it, which certainly does not disprove anything I say.

Sexist may often be used as you suggest, but not by me, and if you admit your "logic" is sexist, it is not logical at all. You are hardly making a rational distinction between things that are different. Even when you acknowledge that a woman might be the equal of a man in a combat situation, you argue that the woman should not be permitted to engage in combat. The only difference in such a situation is your regard for the two sexes.

Finn d'Abuzz wrote:

Generally people try not to adopt practices which have highly negative consequences.

This is a common problem on A2K: Pop out a glib response to a point taken entirely out of context. The substance of the issue follows:

Finn d'Abuzz wrote:

The whole practice of putting women in combat is bad. We should do our part to avoid it and hope that others will too.

Nice try brandon. You very definately have argued that putting women in combat would somehow induce psychic trauma in American male soldiers. Do you really mean to suggest that the logic behind this claim is that if we allow women to fight, other countries will, and then our men will have to kill their women?

I will never vote for or acquiesce to deliberately putting a female in danger, and many, many men feel the same way.

Fair enough, but you are struggling to base this position on anything but paternalistic emotion and a sexist mindset.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2005 08:23 am
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

Couldn't care less.

Finn d'Abuzz wrote:

Finn d'Abuzz wrote:

Sexist may often be used as you suggest, but not by me, and if you admit your "logic" is sexist, it is not logical at all. You are hardly making a rational distinction between things that are different. Even when you acknowledge that a woman might be the equal of a man in a combat situation, you argue that the woman should not be permitted to engage in combat. The only difference in such a situation is your regard for the two sexes.

I am certainly making a rational distinction between things that are, in fact, different. Men and women have different physical abilities, different psychological suitabilities to situations of violent confrontation (a post of mine you have conveniently ignored) and in addition, most, although, apparently not all, men have an instinct to protect them.

Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:

This is a common problem on A2K: Pop out a glib response to a point taken entirely out of context. The substance of the issue follows:

You have not given a response to my statement that asking men to kill women could cause, in many cases, severe trauma.

Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:

Nice try brandon. You very definately have argued that putting women in combat would somehow induce psychic trauma in American male soldiers. Do you really mean to suggest that the logic behind this claim is that if we allow women to fight, other countries will, and then our men will have to kill their women?

If the practice becomes common, many men will have to kill women. Surely this is obvious. You appear to be implying that killing men and women in combat holds precisely the same degree of distaste for you, that you would not in any way be struggling with a desire to protect them. Is this, in fact, a correct conclusion on my part?

Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
I will never vote for or acquiesce to deliberately putting a female in danger, and many, many men feel the same way.

Fair enough, but you are struggling to base this position on anything but paternalistic emotion and a sexist mindset.

On the contrary, I am practically screaming through a megaphone that I am basing my point on that, although, as I have mentioned, I regard your use of the pejorative "sexist" as merely indicating the logical practice of treating things differently that actually are significantly different.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2005 06:41 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

Couldn't care less.

Finn d'Abuzz wrote:

Finn d'Abuzz wrote:

I am certainly making a rational distinction between things that are, in fact, different. Men and women have different physical abilities, different psychological suitabilities to situations of violent confrontation (a post of mine you have conveniently ignored) and in addition, most, although, apparently not all, men have an instinct to protect them.

You are making sweeping distinctions between the sexes which have no relevance on an individual basis.

No argument that, overall, men are physically more capable than men, but this doesn't rule out the fact that some women are indeed physically capable for combat. You would ban them from such action because their sisters are incapable.

No argument that men are more prone to and more comfortable with violence, but this doesn't rule out the fact that some women are indeed psychologically capable for combat. You would ban them from such action because their sisters are incapable. (So you see, the psychological side of your argument is hardly distinguishable from the physical one).

As for a male's instinct to protect women, where is the relevance? Are you truly suggesting that the question of whether or not women should be allowed to engage in combat should be decided based upon an instinctual tendency?

What I am arguing is that to the extent that there are women who are both physically and psychologically capable of combat, should they wish to engage in it as a means of serving their country, there is no logical reason to prohibit them.

What you seem to be arguing is that because women, in general, are less capable that men, in general, to engage in combat, none of them should be allowed to do so.

Sometime these sort of broad prohibitions make practical sense, but I'm afraid I don't see how that is possibly the case here.

Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:

You have not given a response to my statement that asking men to kill women could cause, in many cases, severe trauma.

I have given a response, but it seems to either elude you or dissatisfy you, but allow me to respond once again, but in greater detail:

1) Asking men to kill women could cause severe psychological trauma in some cases. I think you overstate the case however. In modern warfare, more casualties are the result of attacks where the gender of the enemy is unknown that in face to face combat. In addition, history has hardly shown us that men are incapable of killing women in times of war.

2) Beyond all arguments is the one that holds that this concern matters little when it comes to the soldiers we care about - American, because, presumably they will not be firing at female American soldiers. The counter argument that our allowing female combat soldiers will somehow increase the likelihood of foreign female combatants coming into the sights of American soldiers is wholly without foundation. There is hardly the threat of a female combatant race between the US and any of its enemies should we allow women to fight.

3) Your argument here is a barely disguised red herring.

Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:

The whole practice of putting women in combat is bad.

We should do our part to avoid it and hope that others will too.

Nice try brandon. You very definitely have argued that putting women in combat would somehow induce psychic trauma in American male soldiers. Do you really mean to suggest that the logic behind this claim is that if we allow women to fight, other countries will, and then our men will have to kill their women?

If the practice becomes common, many men will have to kill women. Surely this is obvious. You appear to be implying that killing men and women in combat holds precisely the same degree of distaste for you, that you would not in any way be struggling with a desire to protect them. Is this, in fact, a correct conclusion on my part?

Many American military men already kill women. I know we have smart bombs but I doubt they are so smart as to distinguish between genders.

In addition, allowing a relative handful of American women to participate in combat (assuming they are qualified) is hardly going to lead to a sea change in modern warfare.

As for your question of distaste, the answer is yes. I do not find it more distasteful that a woman combatant might die in battle than her male counterpart.

To the extent that such a thing as a warrior ethic exists (and I believe it does) I see no reason to blanketly exclude women from it. A woman warrior's death is no more tragic than a male warrior's.

I do not, at all, struggle with a desire to protect those women who want to engage in combat.

I'm right there with you if the issue was drafting women to engage in combat, but clearly that is not the case here.

Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

On the contrary, I am practically screaming through a megaphone that I am basing my point on that, although, as I have mentioned, I regard your use of the pejorative "sexist" as merely indicating the logical practice of treating things differently that actually are significantly different.

"Sexist" is not necessarily a pejorative and I can only say that I take great care not to use the term loosely. It seems to me that your position is indeed sexist because even in the cases where a woman might be demonstrably capable of combat you argue against allowing her to engage. In such cases what can be the distinguishing factor other than simply gender?

0 Replies

Scrat

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 09:09 am
Brandon9000 wrote:

Finn d'Abuzz wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:

Which is great, except that you continue to argue that your position doesn't change even in those cases where they are actually significantly the same. You gloss over this rather important point because it suits your argument to do so, but it is central to your position: Women shouldn't fight because that's the way Brandon feels about it. Forget whether they are qualified, whether they want to, whether their personal liberty is constrained or is not; Brandon isn't comfortable with the idea.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 09:54 am
Scrat wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

Finn d'Abuzz wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:

Which is great, except that you continue to argue that your position doesn't change even in those cases where they are actually significantly the same. You gloss over this rather important point because it suits your argument to do so, but it is central to your position: Women shouldn't fight because that's the way Brandon feels about it. Forget whether they are qualified, whether they want to, whether their personal liberty is constrained or is not; Brandon isn't comfortable with the idea.

I will answer your post before Finn's because it's easier for me to answer something short when I am at work. Your argument appears to be that men and women should be treated by society as though identical, notwithstanding the fact that they are not. Part of your argument is that even if most women are not suited for a particular task, there will always be a few within the normal distribution who can do it. Thus, to take this logic further, all groups, no matter how different in reality, should be treated as identical, because there will always be individuals findable in a group who can handle the task. Although there will be some percentage of women who are strong enough, I am not sure there are many who have the psychological propensity for extremely violent confrontations (see my previous post on testosterone and behavior). Yet, there will probably be some who have enough male-like characteristics to function in combat. However, by this same reasoning, one could argue that there should be no legal injunction at all against children being put into combat, provided they are physically large and strong enough, and also provided that they are psychologically able to handle the situation without suffering developmental damage. On what basis would you deny children these jobs if they affirmatively desire them and cannot be talked out of it? Frankly, I do not think that the difference between being support personnel near the front lines vs doing the killing yourself, is much of a career opportunity issue.

But, my primary reason for not wanting women in combat is that most men, including myself, do not wish to put women in positions of grave physical danger, and would, in fact, prefer to see that they are safe, and that furthermore, the degree of distaste and trauma induced in most men (although not you) by asking them to kill women in direct physical combat is in and of itself sufficient reason to avoid the practice.

You seem to want to make a big point out of the fact that I am acting on the basis of my preferences or what I feel comfortable with, but you fail to tell me why this is undesirable. When I cast my vote for something, or argue in forums like this, why should I not argue based on what I do or don't want to see happen in the world? I want shelters to be built for the homeless, because the thought of their plight makes me sad, and so would vote and argue this way. What is wrong with me acting on emotional preferences? I don't get that at all. In life, one starts out by figuring out one's fundamental goals based on preferences, and aesthetics, and then uses logic to govern only implementation and subsidiary arguments. The root cause principles are always a matter of aesthetics or preference. You cannot very well use logic to determine what you want to see happen in the world. We pass laws to see that the sick should be treated humanely, or that animals should be because we find it aesthetically displeasing to imagine them suffering. Logical considerations are secondary. The idea that one's government and laws should be based solely on logic with nothing human behind it is absurd.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 10:06 am
Hello everybody. I'm back from an extended weekend trip and catching up. The last several pages have certainly confirmed my original observation that the issue of women in combat is neither a liberal vs conservative, Republican vs Democrat but seems to be all over the map.

Scrat writes
Quote:
FoxFyre - I wonder whether you believe this woman should never have been in a position to show valour in a combat situation. ???

That she was in a position and was deserving of recognition for valour is a separate issue don't you think? Of course valour demonstrated is properly recognized. Even in non-combat roles, as I have previously stated, women could possibly be exposed to dangerous situations and should be qualified and trained to deal with it when it happens.

Should she have been there? I haven't changed my opinion re women assigned to combat units.

Quote:
I find it offensive that my son's life is considered to be of less value than the life of someone else's daughter, solely based on the difference in their gender.

It is precisely that your son's life is highly valued that I oppose assigning women to combat units. It is not that the women are of more value and thus must be spared, but for all the reasons already stated, I believe the presence of women exposes your son to a higher risk of injury and death.
Thus women's rights, political correctness, fairness, justice, etc. etc. etc. count for nought when the bottom line for me is that our fighting forces are given the best possible chance to escape injury or death.

The Israeli experience with women in combat is the closest thing we have to a large scale social experiment. The following links support Brandon's view, the opposing view, and everything in between.

http://www.washtimes.com/world/20031020-122552-3754r.htm

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=23886

http://www.nationalreview.com/owens/owens200501110730.asp

http://www.jafi.org.il/education/100/people/women/7.html

http://www.montereyherald.com/mld/mcherald/2003/11/02/news/world/7158143.htm
0 Replies

Scrat

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 11:08 am
Brandon - My point to you is very simple: Your feelings about women are no reason to deny them liberty.
0 Replies

Atkins

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 09:14 am
I do not remember whether or not I posted this.

The last time I sat down to answer posts here, there was a power failure in the building, and my answers went down the toobs.

About men being unwilling to harm or kill women:

Men are more likely to harm a woman in an act of domestic violence than women will toward men.

However, thinking men are unwilling to harm women may be why our evening news is about young white women in distress.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 09:57 am
Scrat wrote:
Brandon - My point to you is very simple: Your feelings about women are no reason to deny them liberty.

What liberty am I denying them? As far as I can see, I am only denying them the right to actually kill, as opposed to being support staff near the killing. So, then, you would agree to reducing the minimum age for entering the armed forces and fighting in actual combat to 10? If not, on what basis?

Your argument is clearly that although women are not generally physically competitive in battle, and although they generally do not have the psychological tools for violent physical conflict, there will always be a few outlying points who have male-like characteristics and are capable. So why not kids who can do it?
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 10:04 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
Scrat wrote:

What liberty am I denying them? As far as I can see, I am only denying them the right to actually kill, as opposed to being support staff near the killing. So, then, you would agree to reducing the minimum age for entering the armed forces and fighting in actual combat to 10? If not, on what basis?

that would be the one then wouldn't it?
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 10:06 am
Atkins wrote:

The last time I sat down to answer posts here, there was a power failure in the building, and my answers went down the toobs.

Men are more likely to harm a woman in an act of domestic violence than women will toward men.

However, thinking men are unwilling to harm women may be why our evening news is about young white women in distress.

I didn't say that men were unwilling to harm women. You are misquoting me in order to have a false argument easy to disprove. My position is that most normal men would find it very distasteful to kill women by personal methods like shooting or hand to hand combat - more distasteful than to kill men that way.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 10:09 am
blueveinedthrobber wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
Scrat wrote:

that would be the one then wouldn't it?

Not much of a career opportunity. If a majority of society feels this way, as it always has, then this is the way it will continue to be. Answer the question about children in combat.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 10:22 am
I had no idea that comparing a grown woman with a ten year old child was a serious question. Naturally I'm for it...as long as it's the children of the politicians and career miltary people responsible for the wars....and the dickweeds that support them of course...me I'd like my kids to stay home and will make their decisions for them until they are mature enough to decide for themselves or until our new government takes that right away from me, whichever comes first.
0 Replies

Atkins

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 10:37 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
Atkins wrote:

I didn't say that men were unwilling to harm women. You are misquoting me in order to have a false argument easy to disprove. My position is that most normal men would find it very distasteful to kill women by personal methods like shooting or hand to hand combat - more distasteful than to kill men that way.

I'm not misquoting you at all. Your level of understanding is incredible. What do you do for a living? Bag groceries?
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 10:44 am
blueveinedthrobber wrote:
I had no idea that comparing a grown woman with a ten year old child was a serious question. Naturally I'm for it...as long as it's the children of the politicians and career miltary people responsible for the wars....and the dickweeds that support them of course...me I'd like my kids to stay home and will make their decisions for them until they are mature enough to decide for themselves or until our new government takes that right away from me, whichever comes first.

You people never seem to understand the idea that one can compare some specific aspect of two things without pronouncing them identical. The only parallel I was drawing between women and children was that they are both groups in which most members are incapable of being competitive in combat, but in which you can find a few who are. Now let me why you wish to deny those kids who can function as combat soldiers the right to do so.
0 Replies