Should Women Fight in Combat?

Atkins

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2005 07:04 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
Scrat wrote:

Since you appear not to be very familiar with the idea, let me reiterate that most men would find it more difficult to shoot a woman than to shoot a man, because most men feel an urge to protect women. You are correct, indeed, that possible hesitation by the enemy to shoot our female soldiers could give our side a tactical advantage, but at the expense of putting the women in a situation where they are in very real danger of being shot, which is the downside to the practice from our point of view.

I think that to ask young men to shoot young women, and undergo the emotional conflict that would cause in most of them, is more of a negative than any benefits that would be gained by the practice.

How do you plug spousal abuse into this scenario?
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2005 07:43 am
Atkins writes
Quote:
I finally finished re-reading the education thread that is under the aegis of politics. A group of hypocrites here made life hell for a writer who uses the handle, plainoldme, who, I believe from her writing to be a woman (I was fooled by the masculine FoxFyre, so I may be wrong on this one as well).

I believe plain left in disgust at the abuse that was hurled her way.

You have the nerve to upbraid me for a statement that in no way is as bad as the abuse you gave plain.

I can see how you are in sympathy with Plainoldme as your writing style, your method of insulting other posters, your particular emphasis in what you criticize, the words that you mispell and the context that you use are seem to be very similar to hers. Separated at birth no doubt. Smile
0 Replies

detano inipo

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2005 06:55 am
Somewhere in the news I heard that a female US soldier has been awarded the Silver Star. Good show.
0 Replies

Scrat

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2005 08:20 am
detano inipo wrote:
Somewhere in the news I heard that a female US soldier has been awarded the Silver Star. Good show.

FoxFyre - I wonder whether you believe this woman should never have been in a position to show valour in a combat situation. ???
0 Replies

detano inipo

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2005 02:19 pm
Scrat wrote:
detano inipo wrote:

FoxFyre - I wonder whether you believe this woman should never have been in a position to show valour in a combat situation. ???

Not at all, she wanted to be a soldier and she seems to be a hell of a soldier.
0 Replies

Scrat

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2005 02:45 pm
detano inipo wrote:
Scrat wrote:
detano inipo wrote:

Not at all, she wanted to be a soldier and she seems to be a hell of a soldier.

I appreciate your opinion, but I had a specific reason for asking Foxfyre. :-)
0 Replies

detano inipo

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2005 06:51 am
Women are doing alright in several armies, after some early difficulties.
One year after being allowed to bear arms in Germany's army, female soldiers have proven they're up for the difficult job.
So far only 20, or less than one percent, of last year's female recruits have given up because of difficulties with men. In the meantime, nearly 140 women have joined peacekeeping missions in Bosnia, Kosovo and Macedonia.

About 2,000 women have signed up for combat roles in the past 12 months, making the total number of women in the military 7,000. This is about 3.5 percent of the total troops.
http://www.dw-world.de/dw/article/0,1564,403672,00.html
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2005 11:31 am
What disturbs me is not women fighting, if that is what they are good at and wish to join up. It's just, I have seen so many with young children don the uniform and go off, and I find that offensive.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2005 03:42 am
edgarblythe wrote:
What disturbs me is not women fighting, if that is what they are good at and wish to join up. It's just, I have seen so many with young children don the uniform and go off, and I find that offensive.

Do you not find it offensive when men with young children "don the uniform and go off"?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2005 04:42 am
I find it offensive when anybody goes off to war, but, a child needs a mother during that critcal age even more than a father. Turning them to orphans like that is a crime, in my book.
0 Replies

Atkins

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2005 10:13 am
Me too, edgar, me too.
0 Replies

Scrat

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2005 10:36 am
I find it offensive that my son's life is considered to be of less value than the life of someone else's daughter, solely based on the difference in their gender.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2005 10:37 am
why not use children as well? Life is precious after all, and we need to take all possible steps to protect it by being war ready at all times. Children are a great unused source of military power.

They are programmed to obey without question and can crawl under ther radar and into tiny spaces with explosives attached to them. Why one small child with a bomb strapped to them could crawl under a fence and blow up an entire enemy hospital which of course would save many precious lives and yet still maximize that all important collateral damage.
0 Replies

Scrat

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2005 10:44 am
blueveinedthrobber wrote:
why not use children as well? Life is precious after all, and we need to take all possible steps to protect it by being war ready at all times. Children are a great unused source of military power.

They are programmed to obey without question and can crawl under ther radar and into tiny spaces with explosives attached to them. Why one small child with a bomb strapped to them could crawl under a fence and blow up an entire enemy hospital which of course would save many precious lives and yet still maximize that all important collateral damage.

You're confusing us with the Islamo-fascist terrorists who are already doing what you suggest.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2005 10:54 am
who is this us of which you speak?

You and me perhaps, and many others but I have no doubt there are americans who would sanction it and more than one resides in washington DC and is sliding down that chute into madness as we speak.

btw the way are you guys playing this Saturday?
0 Replies

Scrat

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2005 12:00 pm
blueveinedthrobber wrote:
...more than one resides in washington DC and is sliding down that chute into madness as we speak.

btw the way are you guys playing this Saturday?

We'll be at Mojo's out in Apex, if the madness doesn't overtake us first. ;-)
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2005 12:08 pm
I'm scheduled there in July . Let me know how you like it.

If I can take the word of a madman. Laughing
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2005 12:49 pm
Scrat wrote:
I find it offensive that my son's life is considered to be of less value than the life of someone else's daughter, solely based on the difference in their gender.

You find it offensive when anyone posts an argument you can't defeat easily, and promptly ignore it.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2005 12:50 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
Scrat wrote:

You find it offensive when anyone posts an argument you can't defeat easily, and promptly ignore it.

Brandon honey, uber estrogen levels today? Laughing
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2005 12:50 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
There is also a correlation between male phsyiology, such as testosterone level, and propensity for violence, desire to dominate, and competitiveness, which could be extremely useful in combat. See, for instance, Source

The task of combat has been done for millenia, or longer, by males, and evolution appears to have adapted them to it.

Bump.
0 Replies