What do you miss the most about the '80s and '90s?

izzythepush

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2020 06:58 am
@Rebelofnj,
I think you're right, his old persona is very much at odds with today's society and the "Me too," movement.

Although I did find it funny that he was French and smelly.

I just live a few miles from France, and while every country has smelly people you can usually spot them before you smell them. They tend to look dirty and unkempt. France has got those too, but it's also got very smartly dressed, ostensibly very clean, people who also stink to high heaven. I've not come across that anywhere else
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2020 02:15 am
Nostalgia is one thing, but why is there such a seemingly resurgent interest in things from the '80s and '90s now? We are now 3 decades into the 21st century and it seems like people don't want to let these two decades die. Were the '80s and '90s considered some kind of "golden age", or do many people in this generation realize most current 21st century stuff is crap?

You can just go online and see a lot of retro '80s and '90s stuff being showcased somewhere on some websites.

Go on YouTube for example. You'll see LOTS of videos centered around old '80s and '90s things being made now.

I read somewhere that a handful of current kids' cartoon shows on Cartoon Network were making references to The Golden Girls a while ago.

I thought that was kind of odd.

A lot of current pop entertainment stems from old 20th century stuff, especially '80s and '90s stuff.
Rebelofnj

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2020 05:58 am
@JGoldman10,
I don't think people born after 2000 think the stuff they grew up with is terrible. People in general would always prefer what they grew up with. Like how you think the 70s/80s are better than now in some ways.

It is hard to take your claims seriously as you have said you haven't watched any shows and movies in the last 20 years; you have only seen clips. I have seen plenty of current shows and movies. There is no oversaturation of 80s/90s nostalgia as you might think.

Then again, it would be extremely difficult for a popular fantasy series with dragons and magic to reference something from the 80s. Same goes with a new Sci-Fi western about a bounty hunter.

As those cartoons (The Amazing World of Gumball and Teen Titans Go!) that talked about the Golden Girls, they talk about pop culture in general from any decade. Gumball had a homage to Cowboy Bebop, which aired in the US in 2001, and had an episode where the family was going to see 2015's The Force Awakens.
JGoldman10

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2020 02:35 pm
@Rebelofnj,
I'm barely old enough to recall the '70s. I am more nostalgic for '80s and '90s stuff.

I recall being subject to some '70s stuff from my youth. My parents and older sister were into it. I recall being subject to a lot of older things from my parents' generation.

I've said stuff from the '80s and '90s is better than a lot of stuff we have now.

I've seen and watched some current TV shows and films on TV from the last two decades. I've listened to some music from the last two decades.
Sturgis

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2020 02:44 pm
@JGoldman10,
Better? Different?

Each of us has our own take on these things. What you feel is better, might not receive the same assessment from another.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2020 02:52 pm
@Rebelofnj,
My younger brother is too young to recall the '70s also. He's three years younger than me.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2020 02:59 pm
@Rebelofnj,
I know Teen Titans and Teen Titans Go! are two of the most popular kids' cartoon shows from the last two decades.

I know the new MLP series MLP: FIM is very popular now. The show stems from the original MLP cartoons from the '80s and '90s. The new show is chock full of pop culture references and some adult humor.

Is the new series considered a reboot of the original series?
JGoldman10

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2020 03:01 pm
@Rebelofnj,
A lot of younger people are turned on to older music because they think a lot of current 21st century music is crap.

I know this because I've seen them talk about this on YouTube.
Rebelofnj

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2020 03:10 pm
@JGoldman10,
I would disagree that everything from the 80s and 90s are better than now. There are plenty of great films and shows in the last 20 years.

Some of the people who made those great 80s/90s films continued to work past the year 2000, and still making quality work, like Steven Spielberg and Leonardo DiCaprio.

As I have said to you many times, people only have found memories of memorable films and shows. For every Star Wars and Indiana Jones that people love, there are dozens of films like Megaforce and Jinxed! that are completely forgotten by general audiences.
Rebelofnj

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2020 03:21 pm
@JGoldman10,
YouTube commentators do not represent the general audience.

Going by the statistics on the music streaming app Spotify:

*The new song "Stupid Love" by Lady Gaga, released 28 February 2020, has been streamed over 63 million times. Her last new song "Shallow" from 2018, has over 1 billion.

*"Go You Own Way" by legendary rock band Fleetwood Mac has been streamed 370 million times, about a third of "Shallow".

*The number one song currently is "Blinding Lights" by The Weeknd. It has been streamed over 500 million in the last 3 months.
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2020 03:25 pm
@JGoldman10,
You can just go to Wikipedia for the answer.

Wikipedia says it is a reboot, with no connection with the 80s show.

I never saw the show. I only saw a 2 scene because it had a quick unexpected reference to the game Bioshock Infinite.

The show is not popular anymore. It ended last year.
JGoldman10

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2020 03:40 pm
@Rebelofnj,
That's what I thought. A reboot.
JGoldman10

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2020 03:53 pm
@Rebelofnj,
I didn't say everything from the '80s and '90s was better than most stuff we have now. There is a lot of old '80s and '90s stuff that was crappy.

Because of things like feminism and political correctness a lot of old '80s and '90s stuff wouldn't fly well with modern audiences if they were made now.

You commented earlier in this thread you were surprised a Pepe Le Pew movie was going to be made at all. Classic Pepe probably would not hold up now for the most part because of feminism and political correctness. Classic Pepe was a creepy, womanizing lech.

However that's how Pepe was presented in The Looney Tunes Show from last decade and presumably in Rabbits' Run.

The show was rated TV-PG, which meant of course the show wasn't just meant for kids. The movie was not rated.

WB needed to reinvent the character in the New Looney Tunes series you were referring to. Make him more kid-friendly.

According to what I've seen and read online a lot of people are complaining about how sexist and chauvinistic the Archie comics books were and still are.

Rebelofnj

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2020 04:20 pm
@JGoldman10,
Quote:
Because of things like feminism and political correctness a lot of old '80s and '90s stuff wouldn't fly well with modern audiences if they were made now.

Do you have any particular examples of 80s/90s films and shows that have aged badly? The comedy Revenge of the Nerds is usually brought up in these discussions, as one of the main characters did rape a girl by deception.

Quote:
how sexist and chauvinistic the Archie comics books were and still are.

Have you actually read the current Archie Comics? They are not at all "sexist and chauvinistic". It probably helps that there are women (Kelly Thompson, Veronica Fish, Fiona Staples) involved with the current comics.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2020 04:24 pm
A lot of old '80s/'90s kids' cartoon shows are getting rebooted or are being considered for reboots.

I know DuckTales and Danger Mouse and TMNT were rebooted recently.

WB is planning on rebooting Animaniacs.

As popular as Heathcliff and the Catillac Cats was in the '80s and early '90s was I wonder why the show wasn't rebooted anytime this century. It probably would have sold.
Rebelofnj

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2020 04:32 pm
@JGoldman10,
Quote:
As popular as Heathcliff and the Catillac Cats was in the '80s and early '90s was I wonder why the show wasn't rebooted anytime this century. It probably would have sold.

Likely because it was not memorable after its original airing. I have never heard of it during my childhood. So far, the only person I have seen online that has mentioned the show is you. I have heard of Heathcliff, but I never saw any of his cartooons.

To repeat, Do you have any particular examples of 80s/90s films and shows that have aged badly?
JGoldman10

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2020 04:43 pm
@Rebelofnj,
Some people want to argue the Indiana Jones movies haven't aged well.
JGoldman10

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2020 04:57 pm
@Rebelofnj,
In Living Color famously got away with making jokes about homosexuality and looking down on homosexuals, especially through their "Men on ..." sketches. You can't do that in any show now - people would protest.

Shows like Three's Company or Bosom Buddies wouldn't be made now for the same reasons.
Rebelofnj

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2020 05:19 pm
@JGoldman10,
Considering TV and film have become more lax on what can be shown on TV, I doubt Three's Company and Bosom Buddies are even controversial today. There are plenty of sexual innuendo found in network and cable shows. The shows found on premium TV and streaming services like HBO and Netflix show even more.

As for those In Living Color sketches, they are indeed a product of their time. And it is unlikely that kind of content will be popular again, as there are now shows with LGBT characters that don't follow stereotypes.
Rebelofnj

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2020 05:24 pm
@JGoldman10,
The first three Indiana Jones films are still held in high regard by critics and audiences, with people praising the visual arts and the lack of CGI that is usually found modern blockbusters.
0 Replies