What do you miss the most about the '80s and '90s?

JGoldman10

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2020 05:17 pm
@Rebelofnj,
Rebelofnj wrote:
...but this question thread seems to be about complaining how many aspects of today's world are terrible and that the past is better, under rose tinted glasses.

There is nothing wrong with a little nostalgia. I do not dwell in the past. There is some current stuff I do like.

I don't really want to shows and movies like I used to. I am mainly busy during the day and I mainly watch Christian programming on TV.

Rebelofnj

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2020 05:37 pm
@JGoldman10,
I'm guessing the computer animated films are more visually appealing to audiences, and studios prefer computer animation due to them being cost effective, though Disney tends to use their productions to create new technology for future films. For example, Tangled had advances in hair computer rending, Moana had tech showing off the water physics, Frozen had tech to make believable snow effects.

Mary Poppins Returns was profitable though I doubt its brief animation segment was responsible for its success. Disney musicals always do well.

Teen Titans Go To The Movies was also profitable for its $10 million budget, but it only made $52 million.

Have you seen any recent animated film, just to see why people like the films?
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2020 05:50 pm
@JGoldman10,
Quote:
There is some current stuff I do like

You never or rarely mention any recent films and shows you like or seen. You mainly talk about older shows and films, and you have said that all recent music is terrible multiple times.

There is no problem talking about what you liked in the past, but you rarely care about current events or pop culture. You also believe the stuff in the past is better than now.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 7 Feb, 2020 02:00 am
@JGoldman10,
I think Reb hit the nail on the head. Stop being so vague, specifically what shows do you like?
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Fri 7 Feb, 2020 05:58 am
What I miss most about the '80s and '90s is not being able to remember the '00s and '10s.
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Reply Fri 7 Feb, 2020 06:56 am
To answer the question, I have enjoyed watching Power Rangers as a kid. The Netflix documentary series The Toys That Made Us goes into detail how the toys basically created the TV series.
I haven't watched the show in years because I'm sure the cheesy special effects and 90s era dialogue have not aged well.

I did like the recent Power Rangers film reboot, and the current Power Rangers comic (set during the early seasons of the show) has been great so far.
JGoldman10

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2020 11:35 am
@Rebelofnj,
Isn't Power Rangers basically a Voltron rip-off?
JGoldman10

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2020 11:38 am
I am not too keen on all these comic book movies that have been coming out since 2000. The box office has been innundated with them. There have literally been dozens of them that have been out these past two decades than in decades past, even more so back in the '80s and '90s.

The last film I ever saw in theaters was Passion of the Christ.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2020 11:41 am
@Rebelofnj,
Would you count anything I've seen on YouTube, Metacafe and Dailymotion as current stuff I like?
JGoldman10

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2020 11:42 am
@Rebelofnj,
I never said ALL current music is terrible.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2020 11:44 am
@Rebelofnj,
You don't know anything about the new Speedy Gonzales movie coming out?
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2020 12:31 pm
@JGoldman10,
Power Rangers is based on the original Japanese series Super Sentai, which began in 1975.

Voltron, which is based on 1981's Beast King GoLion, began in 1984.

Both Japanese shows were edited and renamed for American audiences.
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2020 12:55 pm
@JGoldman10,
It would count, but does that mean you haven't seen any regular TV series or films in years? Have you seen any of the higher budget shows that are on YouTube, like Cobra Kai or RWBY?

Considering your interest in superhero comics and the numerous threads you started about Marvel and DC, I figured you wouldn't mind all the superhero films. Many of those films would have answered the questions you have asked in a more clearer manner than I can provide.

As for Speedy Gonzales, it was announced in 2016, but there hasn't been an update on the film for years.
https://deadline.com/2016/04/speedy-gonzales-animated-movie-eugenio-derbez-warner-bros-1201730245/
JGoldman10

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2020 01:35 am
@Rebelofnj,
Okay. Is WB actually making a Pepe Le' Pew movie, or is that just a rumor floating around? I read somewhere that Mike Myers was supposed to be voicing the titular character.

Last major Looney Tunes-related film project I know of is Rabbit's Run, but that was a direct-to-video film not a theatrical one.

WB is supposed to be making a Space Jam 2 starting Lebron James, if I am not mistaken.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2020 01:47 am
@JGoldman10,
It's the 80th anniversary of Tom and Jerry this week. I thought this would be a good place for this.

Quote:
A cartoon cat, sick of the annoying mouse living in his home, devises a plot to take him out with a trap loaded with cheese. The mouse, wise to his plan, safely removes the snack and saunters away with a full belly.

You can probably guess what happens next. The story ends as it almost always does: with the cat yelling out in pain as yet another plan backfires.

The plot may be familiar, but the story behind it may not be. From Academy Award wins to secret production behind the Cold War's Iron Curtain - this is how Tom and Jerry, who turn 80 this week, became one of the world's best known double-acts.

Loads more at link.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-51357832<br />
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2020 01:48 am
@Real Music,
Do you miss Rolodexes? I think that's a big reason smartphones were invented.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2020 01:49 am
@JGoldman10,
Many people blame Star Trek.
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2020 02:15 am
@JGoldman10,
A Pepe Le Pew film was announced in 2016, but there hasn't been any major update since then. https://deadline.com/2016/07/max-landis-writing-pepe-le-pew-animated-movie-comic-con-1201791718/

I'm guessing the film has been shelved due to the film's screenwriter Max Landis being accused of sexual assault and domestic abuse. It is assumed that DC also quietly cancelled Landis' Superman: Agent of Batman series because of the allegations.
https://deadline.com/2019/06/max-landis-dropped-by-managers-writ-large-sexual-assualt-allegations-1202634930/

Space Jam 2 is coming out Summer 2021.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2020 03:26 am
@Rebelofnj,
You don't want to make a film about Pepe le Pew, of all characters, penned by a sex offender.
Rebelofnj

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2020 06:44 am
@izzythepush,
It is bizarre that WB had plans for a Pepe le Pew film at all.

He was always a minor character among the other Looney Tunes characters, and the premise of his original shorts (chasing after a female cat despite her repeatedly declining his advances) has not aged well in the modern era.

The more recent shorts, where he is an early era James Bond style agent chasing an enemy spy, is probably the best possible use of the character.