What do you miss the most about the '80s and '90s?

JGoldman10

Reply Fri 27 Mar, 2020 04:38 pm
@Rebelofnj,
Are you saying current TV shows and films can get away with making gay jokes now?
JGoldman10

Reply Fri 27 Mar, 2020 04:43 pm
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

That's what I thought. A reboot.

MLP: FIM is nothing like the MLP cartoons from the '80s and '90s. What's the brony community going to do now that their show has ended?
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Reply Fri 27 Mar, 2020 06:07 pm
@JGoldman10,
It depends what you mean with gay jokes.

Purely hateful, homophobic jokes with no irony are still unacceptable. Gay slurs are still not allowed.

Quote:
What's the brony community going to do now that their show has ended?

Probably the same as every other fandom once a series has ended: talk about the series for a few months, do some rewatches, post some fan art, look forward to any possible project or spinoffs,etc.

It is pretty common phenomenon.

JGoldman10

Reply Fri 27 Mar, 2020 06:57 pm
@Rebelofnj,
Three's Company was a sitcom about a straight man pretending to be gay so he could share an apartment with two women.

Bosom Buddies was a sitcom about two men pretending to be women so they could live in a complex for women because their apartment was destroyed.

I assume both shows cracked gay jokes. Gay in a negative manner.

Before the LGBTQIA community was given a voice homosexuality was something generally made fun of and looked down upon.
Rebelofnj

Reply Fri 27 Mar, 2020 07:22 pm
@JGoldman10,
Quote:
I assume both shows...

This implies you never saw the shows.

The show Friends had several gay jokes, but the jokes were never hateful, and the characters themselves were not at all homophobic. All of them were pretty accepting of LGBT people. The show even had a gay wedding for Ross's ex-wife and her girlfriend.

Also, the LGBT community has had a voice for decades. For example, there is a lot of gay literature that dates back to the 1800s. Further back if you count the ancient Greek mythology.
It was only recently that the US had a majority of people supportive of LGBT rights.
JGoldman10

Reply Fri 27 Mar, 2020 08:16 pm
@Rebelofnj,
No. I've watched both shows. I have a better memory of what Three's Company was about. I've watched the show in my youth, and on occasion I have watched the show more recently.

I don't recall Bosom Buddies that well. I vaguely remember the show.

I know in Three's Company every landlord Jack Tripper ever had made some kind of joke about Jack's supposed homosexuality in a negative way. Jack went along with it.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Fri 27 Mar, 2020 08:19 pm
@Rebelofnj,
If the LGBTQIA community had always had a voice as you claim then how come they didn't seem to get much press and media attention until Obama came along?

I didn't know what "LGBTQIA" was until Obama came along and took office.
Rebelofnj

Reply Fri 27 Mar, 2020 08:45 pm
@JGoldman10,
If you didn't know about the LGBT community before 2008, then that is on you. Gay marriage was an emerging right in the early 2000s, during Bush's presidency when Massachusetts legalized gay marriage and California banned it.

Castro Street in San Francisco, Greenwich Village in New York City, and West Hollywood have been major gay neighborhoods for years. Gay rights activism became more prominent in the 1970s, after the Stonewall riots of 1969.

Homophobia was still pretty rampant for a long time, either in a subtle or blatant manner. I'm currently reading "And The Band Played On" about the AIDS crisis, and apparently the mainstream press at first did not report on the growing AIDS crisis, which had already killed hundreds of gay men. They only started reporting the crisis in 1982, when heterosexual people started getting sick.
JGoldman10

Reply Fri 27 Mar, 2020 09:21 pm
@Rebelofnj,
Okay. You've heard of the band the Village People right? That was the only LBGTQIA-related thing I have known about prior to Obama becoming president.

I'm not gay, nor am I part of the LGBTQIA community. I'm not a sympathesizer either. Why would I keep up with what they are doing? I know they were trying to impose their militant agenda on this generation's children and young people a while ago, but that's because the Christian community was talking about that.
Rebelofnj

Reply Fri 27 Mar, 2020 09:36 pm
@JGoldman10,
I'm just disproving your idea that the LGBT community only started existing after Obama took office in 2009.

My state recently passed a law to have schools teach the history of LGBT people and their contributions, so that, unlike you, students would not be unaware of the gay rights movement.

I'm aware of the Village People. I'm also aware of other prominent gay musicians: Elton John, Freddie Mercury of Queen, Liberace, George Michael, etc.
JGoldman10

Reply Fri 27 Mar, 2020 09:36 pm
I never really got into politics until Obama came along.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Fri 27 Mar, 2020 09:37 pm
@Rebelofnj,
I didn't say the LGBTQIA community didn't exist until Obama came along. Obama officially gave them a voice when he was president.

I am not an expert on politics.
Rebelofnj

Reply Fri 27 Mar, 2020 09:48 pm
@JGoldman10,
The gay rights movement was involved with politics since the 1970s, when Harvey Milk was the first openly gay elected official in the US. They had a voice in politics, just like many minority groups, for many years.

Obama was not the one who gave LGBT people a voice. Plus, it was the Supreme Court that struck down bans on gay marriage.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Fri 27 Mar, 2020 10:11 pm
@Rebelofnj,
Could TV execs get away with producing shows like All In The Family and its spinoffs, The Jeffersons, and Sanford and Son
now?

These shows were products of their time. They caused a lot of contraversy.

Sitcom writers do get away with doing racial and/or ethnic humor in current TV shows but they do it in a way that the jokes aren't offensive to anyone.

JGoldman10

Reply Fri 27 Mar, 2020 10:16 pm
They were supposed to come out with a new
All In The Family series but I guess that project's not coming into fruition.
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Reply Fri 27 Mar, 2020 10:21 pm
@JGoldman10,
Yes. ABC just had a live TV special with All in the Family and The Jeffersons. They used the original scripts from the 1970s, but had modern actors to reenact the show. The original creator of All in the Family, Norman Lear, was involved in the new special.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertainment/tv/2019/12/11/kevin-bacon-woody-harrelson-marisa-tomei-star-abc-all-family/4394954002/

JGoldman10

Reply Fri 27 Mar, 2020 10:32 pm
@Rebelofnj,
I know about the special.
Rebelofnj

Reply Fri 27 Mar, 2020 10:44 pm
@JGoldman10,
And yet there was no controversy in using the 70s era scripts and portraying Archie Bunker as he was in the 70s.

Based on the reviews, people liked the attention to detail on recreating the old sets and costumes, in addition to how some of the old jokes and themes are still relevant in the modern era.

Besides, people can view shows with dark humor and offensive jokes on cable and streaming, instead on the older broadcast networks.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 28 Mar, 2020 03:13 am
@Rebelofnj,
Just because something is old doesn't mean it has to be offensive. Hellzapoppin' is a film that came out in 1941. It's still very funny and doesn't rely on offensive stereotypes.
Rebelofnj

Reply Sat 28 Mar, 2020 04:25 am
@izzythepush,
Oh, I'm aware of that. There are many films and shows that hold up well despite the changing times.

But JG seems to imply that All in the Family is too controversial to be shown again on modern TV.