What do you miss the most about the '80s and '90s?

Rebelofnj

Reply Wed 13 May, 2020 04:22 am
@JGoldman10,
Here is the lyrics for The Deep.
https://genius.com/Clipping-the-deep-lyrics
JGoldman10

Reply Wed 13 May, 2020 05:36 am
@Rebelofnj,
I meant the premise of the song is offensive. The song even references Dagon, which is some kind of fertility god, which is what mermaids are based on. My American Christian penpal told me about Dagon.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 13 May, 2020 05:49 am
@JGoldman10,
The song has nothing on the church, have you ever looked at a bishop’s mitre?

There’s a reason it looks like a fish’s head, and that reason is Dagon.
JGoldman10

Reply Wed 13 May, 2020 05:50 am
@izzythepush,
The point I was making is that Dagon and mermaids are evil.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 13 May, 2020 05:51 am
@JGoldman10,
Your penpal sounds decidedly more evil, spreading hate and bigotry.
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Reply Wed 13 May, 2020 06:02 am
@JGoldman10,
So I'm guessing you are not a fan of the Fantasy genre, and by extension the Sci-Fi genre, in any medium.

So those that mean Disney's The Little Mermaid is pure evil?

Serious question. Do you actually do any critical thinking of your own on any subject, or do you always rely input from your mother/pen pal/pastor/anyone else?
izzythepush

Reply Wed 13 May, 2020 06:14 am
@Rebelofnj,
Rebelofnj wrote:
Serious question. Do you actually do any critical thinking of your own on any subject, or do you always rely input from your mother/pen pal/pastor/anyone else?

It doesn’t look like it.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Wed 13 May, 2020 09:39 am
@Rebelofnj,
I listen to my pastor and ex-pastor. I listen to what the Swaggarts say on TV and some other televangelists on Christian TV. I also read the stuff my European Christian penpal whom I met through Yahoo! Answers sends me via email. Once in a while I read and/or listen to other Christian stuff online.

Most importantly I listen to what the Holy Spirit tells me.

My American Christian penpal first informed me what Dagon was when I was discussing secular forms of entertainment with him - cartoons, comics, video games, etc.

He told me he told some members of his church about Dagon was and he said one member of his church threw his The Little Mermaid DVD out.

Rebelofnj

Reply Wed 13 May, 2020 10:13 am
@JGoldman10,
Weird that the parishioner threw out their copy of the Little Mermaid, considering there is zero mention of the mermaid kingdom' religious beliefs or Dagon himself in the film at all.

Coincidentally, I just watched The Little Mermaid yesterday, as part of my plan to watch all 58 Disney animated films this month.

Did the pastor mention Fantasia and Peter Pan, both of which having mermaids? What about Disney films that have non-Christian Gods and mythology like Hercules, Mulan, Pocahontas, and to some extent Frozen?
JGoldman10

Reply Wed 13 May, 2020 10:14 am
@Rebelofnj,
That all promotes paganism. Which pastor are you talking about?

Who is the parishioner?

Mermaids are mythological entities that were inspired by Dagon. The Little Mermaid glorifies witchcraft.
JGoldman10

Reply Wed 13 May, 2020 10:15 am
@Rebelofnj,
It's a shame you don't want to meet my two Christian penpals. You might learn something from them.
Rebelofnj

Reply Wed 13 May, 2020 10:26 am
@JGoldman10,
Why would I want to meet with random people online who have very different and conservative religious beliefs than me? You in particular have been ineffective in changing my beliefs for several reasons.

I'll probably meet with religious leaders in my area first.
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Reply Wed 13 May, 2020 10:28 am
@JGoldman10,
Quote:
Which pastor are you talking about?

Your pastor. I'm sure he said something about the Disney films. You told me previously that a guest pastor said Frozen 2 is about transgenderism without any evidence or any explanation.
Rebelofnj

Reply Wed 13 May, 2020 10:47 am
@JGoldman10,
As a curiosity, I looked up Christian reviews for the Little Mermaid.

"This is an allegorical movie with strong Christian overtones. Because Ariel loves Eric, she is willing to give up everything to be with him. Because Triton loves his daughter, he is willing to give up his kingdom for her. These are illustrative of the supreme example set by God when He sent His son Jesus to die for our sins. The final scene resonates Genesis 2:24: "For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife."
https://www.movieguide.org/reviews/the-little-mermaid.html

The Christian Broadcasting Network also reviews movies. While they didn't review old movies like the Little Mermaid, they have reviewed recent Disney films positively. They gave Maleficent (about a dark fairy with magical powers) 3½ out of 5 stars.

When they reviewed Frozen, they said it wasn't as good as the Little Mermaid.
https://www1.cbn.com/movie-reviews
izzythepush

Reply Wed 13 May, 2020 10:52 am
@JGoldman10,
And you glorify bigotry and hatred.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Wed 13 May, 2020 11:17 am
@Rebelofnj,
Oh my pastor. I don't know. I never really asked him what he thought about secular animation in general. He wasn't there when that guest pastor I referred to talked about the Frozen movies but he probably agreed with what that lady said.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Wed 13 May, 2020 11:24 am
@Rebelofnj,
They are reviewing movies that glorify witchcraft. That doesn't mean the films are okay for Christians to watch.

I have a problem with that.
Rebelofnj

Reply Wed 13 May, 2020 11:37 am
@JGoldman10,
MovieGuide is a Christian review site. They seem to give ratings on which movies are ok for Christians.

Here is what they said about Frozen
"Very strong Christian, redemptive, moral worldview stresses love is sacrifice, family, scenes in a church with a church choir, a song about loving people even with their faults..."
And Frozen II
"Strong, somewhat allegorical Christian, moral worldview with an emphasis on sacrifice, doing the right thing, there’s a line about the need to pray for safety, marriage and friendship are extolled, love casts out fear..."

Both films got positive reviews.

As explained many times, the millions of other Christians are not strict in their beliefs as you and your family.
JGoldman10

Reply Wed 13 May, 2020 12:08 pm
@Rebelofnj,
They are trying to justify reviewing stuff that blatantly isn't Christian and being okay with it. That would be like me trying to review Harry Potter movies when I know those films are abominations.

I would not let my kids watch that animated Addams Family movie that came out not that long ago the guest pastor at my church who talked about the Frozen movies talked about, if I had any kids.

Christian parents need to be good stewards of what entertainment they allow their kids to ge subject to. They need to monitor the entertainment their kids are into.
JGoldman10

Reply Wed 13 May, 2020 12:12 pm
@Rebelofnj,
I recall on some Christian networks they were talking about The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. Some of these people talking about this were in favor of it if I remember right. Why would any Christian be in favor of something that even has "Witch" right in the title?